[?] Tilemap

Started by
5 comments, last by Servant of the Lord 12 years, 10 months ago
Not sure if this is in the correct place, if not please move it.

I am making a 3d version of The Falling sand game.

Here is a current screenshot:
water.png
A new liquid physics routine is being worked on.

Is there anyone on here that would like to attempt to create a better sprite sheet?
The current one is just one that I put together.

Here is the current sprite sheet:
atlus2.png
*Each tile has space for the top,side and bottom of each block stacked vertically.

I am going for an 8-bit (retro) theme. I guess the best method to use would be to make a color palette.

Anyone interested?

Are the current sprites appealing?
If this post was helpful please +1 or like it !

Webstrand
Advertisement
I'm not good at art so I can't help, although I am interested in how you're making a 3D version of it? The Falling Sand Game is the one where there are spouts for like sand and oil and things you can set on fire and make little walls to hold them right?
The low resolution textures look good, you only need better antialiasing on polygon edges.

Can you add variations to each tile type? Marginally different textures would be enough to destroy most unnatural periodic patterns; extra details, like pebbles and shells on some beach tiles, would be a welcome nice touch.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

I'm not good at art so I can't help, although I am interested in how you're making a 3D version of it? The Falling Sand Game is the one where there are spouts for like sand and oil and things you can set on fire and make little walls to hold them right? [/quote]

Yea thats it. Basically I'm giving the player the blocks and just allowing them to place them anywhere. Then they can watch the reactions.

I have an older version right now here: Webstrand. The invite code is "bl0ck" is you want to try it.

The low resolution textures look good, you only need better antialiasing on polygon edges. [/quote]

Definetly!

Can you add variations to each tile type? Marginally different textures would be enough to destroy most unnatural periodic patterns; extra details, like pebbles and shells on some beach tiles, would be a welcome nice touch. [/quote]

Thanks for the idea man, currently I can have 256 blocks. I am no where near that, so I agree that variations would be a really nice touch.
Thanks!
If this post was helpful please +1 or like it !

Webstrand
So I played the beta a bit. I'm sure you figured most of this out already, but there are a few issues with collision (getting stuck in walls sometimes), and the jump doesn't always work. And you may want to add some instructions.

Can you add variations to each tile type? Marginally different textures would be enough to destroy most unnatural periodic patterns; extra details, like pebbles and shells on some beach tiles, would be a welcome nice touch.

Thanks for the idea man, currently I can have 256 blocks. I am no where near that, so I agree that variations would be a really nice touch.
[/quote]
You don't need variations of blocks, only of the texture on each face; your texture atlas is unbelievably small, 256 types* 3 views * 4 variations would be 3072 sprites, which at 16 by 16 pixels fit in 3/4 of a 1024 by 1024 texture.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

I had a few moments of spare time, so I tossed together a few blocks.
Mostly I just resized and butchered some slightly higher resolution tiles I had previously made for my own game.

16x16tiles.png

Do what you want with them, they're yours.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement