Develop a FPS like Blood

Started by
7 comments, last by nelsonspbr 12 years, 10 months ago
Hi all,

I intend to develop a game like Blood, a first-person shooter from 1997. It would have the same environment interactions and most importantly, the same look and feel - I don't want a perfect looking game, I want it to look like a classic FPS like Doom, Quake or Blood itself.

Firstly I considered the following development options:

1) Use Blood engine itself (called Build, or maybe use one of its ports, probably JonoF's one)
2) Use a simple game builder (like 3D Game Studio)
3) Use Pygame
4) Use lower level stuff (Ogre, XNA?)
5) Use even lower level stuff (Direct, OpenGL)

I think options 2, 3 and 4 are far easier to cope with than options 1 or 4. The question is: is it possible (and feasible) to adopt options 2, 3 or 4 to obtain the same look and feel from classic FPS games?

I am familiar with programming languages, especially C, C++, C#, Java and Python (my preferred, that's why I mentioned Pygame), so they are not a problem. My real problem is I don't know where to start from: I know how the game should like and behave, but I don't know how to begin.

Thanks in advance,
Nelson
Advertisement
Isnt the build source available? I would modify that and add some new gameplay ideas if your really up for it.
Actually Blood is one of my favourite games from back in the day.
I was thinking of making something similar but with modern graphics, but never got around to it.

I dont think its a good idea to write your own 'build style' engine, because it will probably take you a long time, depending
on your experience ofcourse.
Yes, Build's code is available here. Actually Ken Silverman recommends the use of a newer port from Jonathon Fowler:

From Ken Silverman's page:

http://www.jonof.id.au/jfbuild The best Windows & Linux port of KenBuild, the Build Editor, Duke Nukem 3D, and Shadow Warrior by Jonathon Fowler. His port uses DirectX natively, and supports full OpenGL rendering using my "Polymost" technology.
[/quote]

Blood is one of my favourites too and I don't want to create an engine - I'd like to know if it is better to use this engine directly or adopt one more up-to-date solution.

Thanks for the answer,
Nelson
I think I had a skim over JonoF codebase before, and it seemed pretty easy to work with. He replaced most of all old rendering code with OpenGL
which makes everything look a bit crisper and work on windows. So yea try that out. I would love to hear how it goes. Good luck :P

I wish the damn Blood source would be released already! they made multiple petitions, but no code yet :(
Yeah, Blood source code would definitely help :lol:

Thanks for the help @wildboar!
Nelson
If you have the option of using the Build engine, you should probably go ahead and run with that. Using pygame, while feasible, you'll still end up programming a 3D game. Making a game in itself isn't a trivial task, especially if it's pretty big, and making it in 3D only adds-on difficulty.

Yo dawg, don't even trip.

To answer your question from the original post, any of those options allow the possibility of creating the game you want -- the look comes largely from the artwork, and the feel comes largely from the physics and game-play. If you provide similar game-play with the same or similar physics along with artwork done in a similar style then you will have a game that looks and feels like Blood.

The JonoF port of Build looks like a good option; I'd suggest getting a basic game started using that -- start off getting a player moving around in a single room, and build from there adding features as you go.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I think options 2, 3 and 4 are far easier to cope with than options 1 or 4. The question is: is it possible (and feasible) to adopt options 2, 3 or 4 to obtain the same look and feel from classic FPS games?[/quote]

You should be able to. For the most part, it is a matter of having the right texture filtering configured (or should I say disabled), and focus on sprite rendering. I think getting the desired "look" should be easy with modern graphics APIs. However, your big challenge will be creating the levels, replicate sector based rendering (ie similar to what Build uses), authoring the artwork, and implementing the game logic, etc. Perhaps investigate an option to support the file formats generated by Build and render them?

Whatever option you chose, a voodoo doll is a must.
Latest project: Sideways Racing on the iPad
Yeah Voodoo doll is THE weapon :P

Thanks all for your answers, I'm starting studying JFBuild and some source codes (Doom and Duke Nukem 3D).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement