From Managed DirectX to SlimDX

Started by
3 comments, last by remigius 12 years, 10 months ago
Hi guys, I'll go straight to the point.

I started work in a company almost 2 months ago. And they are using managed directx with c# (to make tools basically)
I've also been using it for some tools, but it's hard to find documentation on how to do some of the stuff I need to do.
In fact, while looking for such stuff, I usually find slimDX references.
I want to start using slimDX, because it's the right thing to do. As the slimdx website says:

When to use MDX
Don't. MDX has been deprecated for many years now. It still targets an older .NET framework version and suffers from many bugs and flaws such as loader lock that will never be fixed. SlimDX supports everything exposed by MDX and much more, so there's no excuse for choosing MDX for a new project. [/quote]

But I can't just go and say: "hey, I want to use this instead, because the loader lock bug won't ever be fixed"
Anyways, I want to use it at least for the tools where I'll be the only programmer.
I didn't really go to the point did I?
My questions are these: what other advantages does it have, in practical day use, compared to MDX?
And if the artists use the tool I make, will they just be able to use the exe file without installing anything else?
Advertisement
The advantages would be:

- It's not deprecated, but still supported and (IIRC) open source, so you're not locked in a library MS killed off

- It supports multiple D3D flavors up to and including D3D11, which may be beneficial for tool code as well (ComputeShader et al)

- It's a slim wrapper, meaning it doesn't force anything on you how to code your program, so in this regard it's similar to MDX

Basically it's what MDX would be if it hadn't been killed off and remade to fit the XBox platform (and had been designed with a more clear vision up front :). I believe you can just stick it's DLL in your program directory and work with it, so it doesn't have any special runtimes that need to be installed seperately.
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
Thank you. I'll try...

so it doesn't have any special runtimes that need to be installed seperately.

Actually it requires a 10 MB redist install that includes DirectX, SlimDX and VC 9 runtimes.
Ow, my bad, I had forgotten about the VC9 runtimes. Thank you for the correction and sorry about the misinformation then.
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement