[java] Google voted against SE7

Started by
6 comments, last by sketchasketch 12 years, 10 months ago
Saw this on Slashdot
and I was wondering, why would Google be upset about SE7? Someone in the comments section said that Google voted against it because of licensing issues, and I was wondering what kind of licensing issues might there be that would sway their opinion so much. Java's a very powerful language, and I'm sure Google's products could handle it, but why would they ever be against something like that?
boolean isLearning= true;
boolean isOpenToAdvice= true;

Advertisement
To my understanding, as it currently stands, the Android and all the Android OS phones use a Google version of Java (which I believe is more lightweight?) for a lot of the apps that run on them. The licensing terms in the new SE7 would not allow google to do this anymore.

To my understanding, as it currently stands, the Android and all the Android OS phones use a Google version of Java (which I believe is more lightweight?) for a lot of the apps that run on them. The licensing terms in the new SE7 would not allow google to do this anymore.

Well I mean, I understand why they would be upset, but I think it would be more in their interest to support it, and then just figure out a way to update the Android phones to use the new Java, or to interpret it differently, or something.

That would be harder. Therefore, not preferable.
It doesn't really matter anyways, the JCP has no power at all, as has recently been proven by Oracle's refusal to turn over the testing suite in a license suitable for use by JCP members (and other implementors), a continuation of what Sun did before being bought by oracle.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

It doesn't really matter anyways, the JCP has no power at all, as has recently been proven by Oracle's refusal to turn over the testing suite in a license suitable for use by JCP members (and other implementors), a continuation of what Sun did before being bought by oracle.

But why would Google want to stay where they are rather than improving their app store? I just think that, while i may be more difficult, it may be more beneficial to update their language somehow and do bigger and better things.

Android phones isn't exactly known for getting updates all at once, since the different vendors have their own version of the OS. Afaik Dalvik isn't just a plugin, but an integrated part of the OS, which means that every single phone would need a firmware upgrade, in order to use the latest Java API. And since they don't control when phones are updated, that would fall back on limiting the app developers to stay at Java 6...

I've heard that they are working on a more standardized Android 3, where phone vendors aren't allowed to customize the OS in such ways as they are now. Don't know if it's true though :/ ?

Android phones isn't exactly known for getting updates all at once, since the different vendors have their own version of the OS. Afaik Dalvik isn't just a plugin, but an integrated part of the OS, which means that every single phone would need a firmware upgrade, in order to use the latest Java API. And since they don't control when phones are updated, that would fall back on limiting the app developers to stay at Java 6...

I've heard that they are working on a more standardized Android 3, where phone vendors aren't allowed to customize the OS in such ways as they are now. Don't know if it's true though :/ ?

That last bit is interesting. I think that's what should happen. Vendors should just try and sell their product instead of messing things up. Which isn't to say that their changes are superfluous, but, it would be much easier I think to have a standardized platform, with many diverse products.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement