• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

DX11 [C++][DX11] Framebuffer color changes?

This topic is 2253 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,
Since I moved to DirectX 11 I noticed everything is much brighter, eventually I managed to find somewhere after Pixel Shader it increases brightness before putting pixel into framebuffer, anyone knows why this happens? Here's image of Pixel Shader output and framebuffer pixel: http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/140/capturejh.jpg

Thank you in advance.

Advertisement
Is your backbuffer using an sRGB format? If it is, then gamma correction will be applied to your pixel shader output when it is written to the backbuffer.

I am using DXUT with default settings, I guess it uses sRGB format then.
Is there any way to change gamma correction settings, either disable it? Or the only way is to change format?

Thank you.

Gamma correction is completely controlled by the format of the texture, there's no way to override it. You should be able to change the backbuffer format in your ModifyDeviceSettings callback, if you don't want an sRGB format.

It does not seem to allow me to change it, I tried DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM and some other FLOAT types, but it ends up using DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM_SRGB for some reason:

bool CALLBACK ModifyDeviceSettings(DXUTDeviceSettings *pDeviceSettings, void *pUserContext) {
if(DXUT_D3D11_DEVICE == pDeviceSettings->ver && pDeviceSettings->d3d11.DriverType == D3D_DRIVER_TYPE_REFERENCE)
return false;

pDeviceSettings->d3d11.sd.BufferDesc.Format = DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM;

return true;
}

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Similar Content

• By Stewie.G
      Hi,

I've been trying to implement a basic gaussian blur using the gaussian formula, and here is what it looks like so far:
      float gaussian(float x, float sigma)
      {
          float pi = 3.14159;
          float sigma_square = sigma * sigma;
          float a = 1 / sqrt(2 * pi*sigma_square);
          float b = exp(-((x*x) / (2 * sigma_square)));
          return a * b;
      }
      My problem is that I don't quite know what sigma should be.
      It seems that if I provide a random value for sigma, weights in my kernel won't add up to 1.
      So I ended up calling my gaussian function with sigma == 1, which gives me weights adding up to 1, but also a very subtle blur.
      Here is what my kernel looks like with sigma == 1
              [0]    0.0033238872995488885    
              [1]    0.023804742479357766    
              [2]    0.09713820127276819    
              [3]    0.22585307043511713    
              [4]    0.29920669915475656    
              [5]    0.22585307043511713    
              [6]    0.09713820127276819    
              [7]    0.023804742479357766    
              [8]    0.0033238872995488885    

I would have liked it to be more "rounded" at the top, or a better spread instead of wasting [0], [1], [2] with values bellow 0.1.
      Based on my experiments, the key to this is to provide a different sigma, but if I do, my kernel values no longer adds up to 1, which results to a darker blur.
      I've found this post 
      ... which helped me a bit, but I am really confused with this the part where he divide sigma by 3.
      Can someone please explain how sigma works? How is it related to my kernel size, how can I balance my weights with different sigmas, ect...

• By mc_wiggly_fingers
      Is it possible to asynchronously create a Texture2D using DirectX11?
      I have a native Unity plugin that downloads 8K textures from a server and displays them to the user for a VR application. This works well, but there's a large frame drop when calling CreateTexture2D. To remedy this, I've tried creating a separate thread that creates the texture, but the frame drop is still present.
      Is there anything else that I could do to prevent that frame drop from occuring?
    • By cambalinho
      i'm trying draw a circule using math:
      class coordenates { public: coordenates(float x=0, float y=0) { X = x; Y = y; } float X; float Y; }; coordenates RotationPoints(coordenates ActualPosition, double angle) { coordenates NewPosition; NewPosition.X = ActualPosition.X*sin(angle) - ActualPosition.Y*sin(angle); NewPosition.Y = ActualPosition.Y*cos(angle) + ActualPosition.X*cos(angle); return NewPosition; } but now i know that these have 1 problem, because i don't use the orign.
      even so i'm getting problems on how i can rotate the point.
      these coordinates works between -1 and 1 floating points.
      can anyone advice more for i create the circule?
    • By isu diss
      I managed convert opengl code on http://john-chapman-graphics.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/pseudo-lens-flare.html to hlsl, but unfortunately I don't know how to add it to my atmospheric scattering code (Sky - first image). Can anyone help me?
      I tried to bind the sky texture as SRV and implement lens flare code in pixel shader, I don't know how to separate them (second image)

• By jonwil
      I have some code (not written by me) that is creating a window to draw stuff into using these:
      CreateDXGIFactory1 to create an IDXGIFactory1
      dxgi_factory->CreateSwapChain to create an IDXGISwapChain
      D3D11CreateDevice to create an ID3D11Device and an ID3D11DeviceContext
      Other code (that I dont quite understand) that creates various IDXGIAdapter1 and IDXGIOutput instances
      Still other code (that I dont quite understand) that is creating some ID3D11RenderTargetView and ID3D11DepthStencilView instances and is doing something with those as well (possibly loading them into the graphics context somewhere although I cant quite see where)
      What I want to do is to create a second window and draw stuff to that as well as to the main window (all drawing would happen on the one thread with all the drawing to the sub-window happening in one block and outside of any rendering being done to the main window). Do I need to create a second IDXGISwapChain for my new window? Do I need to create a second ID3D11Device or different IDXGIAdapter1 and IDXGIOutput interfaces? How do I tell Direct3D which window I want to render to? Are there particular d3d11 functions I should be looking for that are involved in this?
      I am good with Direct3D9 but this is the first time I am working with Direct3D11 (and the guy who wrote the code has left our team so I cant ask him for help

• Advertisement