Diving into the Logic, Algorithms and Problem Solving with Games Design.

Started by
3 comments, last by grechzoo 12 years, 10 months ago
Okay I see myself as a great puzzle solver and love doingit, its one of the reasons I am, (and have been) studying C++ for a while now. Sobasically im looking for a helping hand on where to go to find material (books,videos, websites, tutorials etc.) that focus in on the algorithms and logicbehind tranlsating a complex idea, or blueprint into optimised and creativecode.

I feel I know the language, but in order to start thinking up andprogramming my own ideas I need to learn about how to build project from theground up, and use the tools of the OOP to do complex and clever things thatcould never be thought up by a beginner. I want to be creative and right nowknowing the language is not enough. Whether its Logic, Arithmatic, or simplePuzzle solving, I would just love to get as much insight as possible.

I love video tutorials so youtube will continue to be scoured, and there are also lots of C# XNA game tutorials on 3Dbuzz.com,(currently going through their simple C++ ASCII game right now). So to ask asecond question, would these be applicable even though im focusing on C++? are therules of the C# OOP similar enough for the algorithms and practices they use inthat language to be a big help for me in mine?
Advertisement
http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/gtomar/ComparisionofCandcsharplanguages10242007013053AM/ComparisionofCandcsharplanguages.aspx

That URL is a lot longer than I expected... it's an article that goes over the differences between CPP and C#. Basically, C# is kind of like a combination of the high level languages where you can program really fast, with the power of C++. If you know C/PP then you'll probably find it somewhat familiar.

You might want to study Discrete Mathematics. I don't know of a lot of many programming projects that suit what you want exactly, I just made some basic versions of programs I wanted to do and what my instructors told me to, but here's a list of a few: http://techy-tech.blogspot.com/2008/04/c-project-lists-by-category-httpwww.html

For logic and puzzles you should get into AI. Write some games like tic tac toe, chess, checkers, connect four, things that require thought. Draw out complicated games for it solve (like set the chess board up into some ridiculous position, and see if you can make the AI find a way to win, change the rules around, etc).

Okay I see myself as a great puzzle solver and love doingit, its one of the reasons I am, (and have been) studying C++ for a while now. Sobasically im looking for a helping hand on where to go to find material (books,videos, websites, tutorials etc.) that focus in on the algorithms and logicbehind tranlsating a complex idea, or blueprint into optimised and creativecode.

I feel I know the language, but in order to start thinking up andprogramming my own ideas I need to learn about how to build project from theground up, and use the tools of the OOP to do complex and clever things thatcould never be thought up by a beginner. I want to be creative and right nowknowing the language is not enough. Whether its Logic, Arithmatic, or simplePuzzle solving, I would just love to get as much insight as possible.

I love video tutorials so youtube will continue to be scoured, and there are also lots of C# XNA game tutorials on 3Dbuzz.com,(currently going through their simple C++ ASCII game right now). So to ask asecond question, would these be applicable even though im focusing on C++? are therules of the C# OOP similar enough for the algorithms and practices they use inthat language to be a big help for me in mine?

Honeslty the best place to start is to start programming and make the mistake of not planning it out. I say this for one reason. No tutorial in the world will allow you to fail. The point of a tutorial is to teach you how to do something that someone has already thought of.

Follow my logic here for a second,

When you are just starting out, you know the language and you want to make something cool but you have no idea where to start. So start out with something simple and learn from there on what it takes for you to do it. You are going to have to make a mistake on bad code to learn what to plan for in the future. That way when your ready to actually set out on an idea you dont just immediatly hit the google machine and ask how do I make this game? Now its completely understandable if your trying to research how to incorperate pyshics or shaders etc to your engine and your running into problems. But I dont think looking up gaming templates and how to start an adventure game from scratch would be very educational. Mainly because when you get to the end and they haven't finished writing the tutorial... what then?

I say start like this, draw something to the canvas. Make a shape, make a background, load an image, just put something on screen. Now make a box and limit its movement to inside that box. Now allow that circle to jump when pushing space. Now make objects randomly spawn in that area and the ball has to avoid it, while the bounding box rotates and music plays. Now make it start flashing random colors while things shoot in rand locations and everything pulses to the beat of the music. Now add a score mechinism.

There you go, you just made your first game, and you learned how to seperate functions, objects, scripts, and how things should be incorperated because you had to go back and edit code multiple times. Now the next time you make a project, you will start to add elements on a game design doc and write out what you need, how they interact and figure whats needed before you start authoring your code.

<3 Mayple
I usually just give my 2 cents, but since most of the people I meet are stubborn I give a 1$ so my advice isn't lost via exchange rate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_systems
Thanks guys, and thanks especially to Mayple, I totally see where you are coming from, I truly do.

However the reason I want to attack tutorials first, is not so I can simply copy what they do thereafter, but simply to get an overall idea of a complex project from start to finish. Basically im not looking for the solutions to the puzzle, I'm looking for the techniques to learn how to solve the puzzle myself.

It's why I was asking about watching the C# tutorials as well. Again just getting ideas of how they solve the problems with tools, but not memorizing and ripping off their actual source code is what I'm looking for, and why I was hoping watching the C# tutorials (of which 3D Buzz have many more,) would really help open my eyes to the possibilities and processes these guys go to to create great programs.

I have many simple ideas for games and software myself, and I WILL be making them on my own through tons of trial and error in a few weeks or so. I know that is where i will truly learn the language. However I'm sure going through some tutorials first will give me a basic grasp of my overall task and give me a little more in my arsenal to tackle the many problems I imagine will be thrown my way.

I hope I have explained myself, and again if there are any more links, books, vids, personal experience and opinions etc. anyone could provide I would TRULY be grateful.

Thanks again everyone, hope I'm a part of this great community for years to come :)

~
Idris

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement