SpaceGame Background Stars via Skybox/Dome?

Started by
5 comments, last by Der_Therion 12 years, 10 months ago
Hello @all,

i am work on some ideas for an 3d space game..at this point its about the stars background.

(its not a problem to create a starfield jpg with gimp2), more the problem is.. the background

is dynamicly created when entering the system/orbit of an planet.. but how to

handle the background in 3d..

at moment i create 6 face in FBO Textures with view angle of 90 (rendered each with same scenario,but different view angels)

and put them in a skybox

and i always still see the edges of the skybox..is there any other method i can use?

do you have a hint/link for an good page about rendering planets/athomsperic effects etc?

(at the end the planets surfaces/clouds is created dynamicly..to get a giant amount a different planets)

anybody remember StarGilder2 in the 1988 :)

much thanks :)

Advertisement
Please post a screen shot showing the problem.
Do you "see the edges of the skybox" because incorrect rendering puts some artifacts at face seams, or because you don't render enough skybox pieces to cover the whole visible background, or because stars aren't distributed correctly and you see a cube pattern instead of a uniform dome? (A uniform distribution of stars in a plane, which I suspect is what you are creating in image editing tools, becomes thicker near the edges of the skybox square because you see them at an angle.)

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

here a small picture of the problem and what i do..

i render the same scene to 6 fbo textures (changing camera angel) and the camera got an view range of 90 degrees

the stars are pointsprites (with a little alpha color..the more of them overlapping the more the "blue" color becomes visible)

the pointspite work a following... the matrix is rotated around the camera so that the pointsprites always facing the camera

when rendered into the fbo

in this picture you see the connection of 3 fbo textures..you see that the rendering of the stars fit...but i see the edge of the box...hard to describe

space_box.jpg

Yeah you can definitely see the seams there. Some stuff to try:

- are you sure all sides are tiled perfectly?
- is there no lighting at all on the cube surfaces?

Here's some free skybox cubemap textures you might try:

http://www.codemonst...p?show=cubemaps

Maybe see if you can still see the cube corners with those textures.The edges of the textures need to be specially distorted around the cube edges. Try googling for a Cube Map Generator that works on your dev platform.
You can either use a distorted texture and a skybox, as has been suggested, or simply increase the tessellation of your skybox so it looks more like a sphere instead of a cube.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

i try the textures tomorrow (need some sleep)

but at the first look of the texture i see something intressting... the pointsprites in mein demo always facing the camera...

in the cubemap textures they do not...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement