Are you man enough to tell your boss in his face that he is wrong?

Started by
19 comments, last by capn_midnight 12 years, 10 months ago
I tell my bosses when they do something wrong. I also call them out on what I think are questionable design choices. They like the fact that I'm not just a brown nosing 'yes man', its also why I'm the highest paid non management type person there. By the same token if somebody calls me out on something I messed up I thank them for bringing it to my attention so it can get fixed. If you are scared to go to your boss about a mistake on his part its time for a new job.
Advertisement
You drunk again, owl? :D

I tell my boss he's wrong frequently, but only when I can back it up with either data or solid reasoning.

Besides, anyone can tell their boss they're wrong. Telling your wife she's wrong? That takes balls...
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

How do I manage to type all this crap in such a state fcs! When I wake up and I begin to remember all the social mess I might have caused I'm like: OH THE NOS! :o
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.

[quote name='ChaosEngine' timestamp='1307914380' post='4822518']

How do I manage to type all this crap in such a state fcs! When I wake up and I begin to remember all the social mess I might have caused I'm like: OH THE NOS! :o
[/quote]

Sometimes I wonder if that is an excuse you use a bit TOO often.

::Oh that post that sounded incredibly stupid or trolling? I disavow all knowledge and claim I was drunk at the time. ::

If you cannot have open discussions with your employer, that's a sign your employment is on a rocky foundation, and a great warning that it's time to send out job applications elsewhere.

[quote name='owl' timestamp='1307924581' post='4822554']
[quote name='ChaosEngine' timestamp='1307914380' post='4822518']

[/quote]

Sometimes I wonder if that is an excuse you use a bit TOO often.

::Oh that post that sounded incredibly stupid or trolling? I disavow all knowledge and claim I was drunk at the time. ::

If you cannot have open discussions with your employer, that's a sign your employment is on a rocky foundation, and a great warning that it's time to send out job applications elsewhere.
[/quote]

I have the rule of never regretting what I do or say when I drink. It does some times make me wish I didn't have to clean the mess afterwards, but that's just because when I'm sober I'm pussier. :)

I'm currently working in collaboration with another person so this wasn't about me in particular.
This reminds me of a story my friend told me. She interns at this place and she keeps telling me how this other intern she works with keeps telling the boss that he is wrong with this code or that idea. Sometimes he does get backed up by other employees, but other times he is just flat out wrong. He hasn't gotten fired, so I guess its ok to state your opinion to your boss if you can back it up, but just don't he hard headed, duh
Edge cases will show your design flaws in your code!
Visit my site
Visit my FaceBook
Visit my github

I have the rule of never regretting what I do or say when I drink. It does some times make me wish I didn't have to clean the mess afterwards, but that's just because when I'm sober I'm pussier. :)

Isn't that like the same as regretting it just calling it something different?
The wrong kind of beer is a pretty fucking serious business in oz.
Latest project: Sideways Racing on the iPad

[quote name='owl' timestamp='1307944883' post='4822632']

Isn't that like the same as regretting it just calling it something different?
[/quote]

Well no. What you said being drunk was already inside you when you were sober. I do not regret what I am. But I do try to work on my issues.
Yes, I'll tell my boss when I think he's wrong. If your boss is any good it shouldn't take courage to do that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement