Searching for community.. Text mixed with Image

Started by
7 comments, last by hammon 12 years, 8 months ago
Dear friends,

I am thinking about the mix of two types of game Text adventure (such as Colossal Cave) and Image adventure (such as Myst). I have dreamed to make my own game of this type for a long time.

Is there a community for hobbyists making this type of game? What are the classics? Are there free software to build them? I'm just hoping for information...

Thank you so much everybody.
Advertisement
Moving to For Beginners.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I think what you are looking for is either the interactive fiction or graphic adventure game genres (usually referring to 'point and click', the graphic adventure game genre can refer to other types of games as well), so you can look up communities centered around those.

Just because I finished playing it a week or so ago (and because it's very well done), I'm going to recommend playing Machinarium. I recently replayed The Lost City of Malathedra also, which was made by a GameDev.net user.
Inform is a fantastic free piece of software for developing interactive fiction if that's what interests you, although I'm not sure it allows the inclusion of images.

Adventure Game Studio is aimed at creating old-styled Point-and-click adventure games -- it's free, simple to use, but may or may not be customisable enough for your needs.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Thanks guys but what about a community for the mix of the two games? :rolleyes:

Pick what type of genre you want (e.g. interactive fiction), and just google it. You can find dozens of examples, and the most active/popular will tend to float to the top.

[quote name='slurrblerghfff' timestamp='1308230789' post='4824064']

Pick what type of genre you want (e.g. interactive fiction), and just google it. You can find dozens of examples, and the most active/popular will tend to float to the top.
[/quote]

Thanks you but I'm really having trouble... with it.. Can anyone just point it out for me? My genre doesn't have a name I think.

Thanks you but I'm really having trouble... with it.. Can anyone just point it out for me? My genre doesn't have a name I think.

If your genre doesn't have a name, how do you expect us to find a community around that nameless genre for your? wink.gif
Either your game is the first of it's kind, and no community around it exists yet, or the genre has a name and you just haven't figured it out yet.

You've given us very few details. A "[color="#1C2837"]mix of two types of game [color="#1C2837"]Text adventure[color="#1C2837"] (such as Colossal Cave) and [color="#1C2837"]Image adventure[color="#1C2837"] (such as Myst)" gives us hardly any information. I've given you two possible genres:[color="#1C2837"] interactive fiction and graphic adventure game. Each have multiple communities wrapped around them. Both can be called "text adventure mixed with image adventure". Did you research those two genres yet and see how they relate, or differ, from what you have in mind? Have you checked out, not just one or two, but four or five of the classics (since there are variations even within each genre) from each of those genres and checked if they match your ideas?
[color="#1C2837"]
[color="#1c2837"]If neither of those two meet your description (Note: the wide description of your game's [color="#1C2837"]genre, not the narrow description of your specific game), you ought to at least tell us how your genre differs from those genres to help us help you narrow the field further. smile.gif
I've just taken a new interest in Interactive Fiction (particularly around innovating the interface - moving away from a text parsed input - as well as making it multiplayer - a.k.a Multiplayer Interactive Fiction or MIF) and have been researching the different forms of IF. As someone as already mentioned, the Wikipedia article on Interactive Fiction is a good start.

It sounds like what you want to create could potentially be a Visual Novel? There are three Visual Novel construction tools mentioned in the article: [font=sans-serif][size=2]NScripter, KiriKiri and Ren'Py; unfortunately can't vouch for any of them, but have seen Ren'Py mentioned a few times in my research.[/font]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement