Engine coders v.s Game Company Engines

Started by
49 comments, last by Washu 12 years, 10 months ago
Well the topic might read a little confusing,so ill explain.Since ive been on gamedev all ive seen is people recommend others to just design they're own engine.Dont get me wrong im not saying that its bad but as the saying goes "time is money".So the longer you waste on making a horrid engine you could use the leading free engines out right now.I'll name a few engines you could use or even start off with by editing yourself completely and making it yourself.

UDK is a great example of a engine to use for FPS like games,im not to sure about it going into a RPG but would be time consuming.Remember folks time is money and having to spend more then 5months on a engine you wanna design yourself cause you wanna feel "PRO" is just completely dumb.

Unity 3D flexible,great to start off with,extremely easy to use just like the UDK and you can find a high amount of tuts all over the tuts.

Engines you can use to build from
i only have one so rage if you want but this is the only one i found updated and open sourced.Doom Engine or the Eternity Engine.I can link you to it,this engine was used for DragonNest so thats a good thing but its missing a high amount of things but its great on tools so your lucky on that.

Now what grinds my gears really is the whole "be pro make your own engine" and then if you dont do it you get negative rep.We're indie game designers,its hard to believe but we are basely a community not just solo acts like big companys.We dont need to compete right now cause we can help each other out of the kindness of our hearts.Ive seen such horrid advice giving like "make 2D" yes 2d is amazing and fun but a company like steam does not what a copy of angry birds done to death back on they're shelves with horrid graphics and that wont sell.I made this thread to hear what you suppose "Pro"s have to say about me advising the beginners to use engines like unity and UDK.Also i want to hear your side.BTW Steam announced they'd stop 2D games from going into they're market.

Note:i expect you to come on here with a open mind not a narrow mind fan boy of 2d games and of self coder of a engine.
Advertisement
I vote for Crytek 3 and Unreal Engine 3!
Failure is simply denying the truth and refusing to adapt for success. Failure is synthetic, invented by man to justify his laziness and lack of moral conduct. What truely lies within failure is neither primative or genetic. What failure is at the heart, is man's inability to rise and meet the challenge. Success is natural, only happening when man stops trying to imitate a synthetic or imaginable object. Once man starts acting outside his emotional standpoints, he will stop trying to imitate synthetic or imaginable objects called forth by the replication of his emptiness inside his mind. Man's mind is forever idle and therefore shall call forth through the primitives of such subconscious thoughts and behaviors that Success is unnatural and that failure is natural. Success is simply doing something at man's full natural abilities and power, failure is the inability to act on what man wants, dreams, wishes, invisions, or thinks himself to do. ~ RED (concluded when I was 5 years old looking at the world with wide eyes)
What I think alot of people fail to realize when making a game engine is most people don't just say, I think I am going to make a game engine so I can make this game. Alot of it comes from working with engines and the realization that you need more or custom things that the other engine just doesn't offer. When you start making your own game eventually you start to build your own engine.

I know alot of people that use old games and then expand more on it to make there engine for there next game replacing assets, art and simple functions they used in there first game to create an actual engine. But writing an engine from scratch is so counter productive unless you plan with a team to write something that other engines can't offer.

I think its smart to look at it from both angles, view the pros and cons on what engines have what and what game engines don't have what you need. Sometimes writing your own engine, or extracting what you need from one engine is the best move, especially if your making a FPSRPG, you kinda have to write alot of your own. Or if you are trying to make a FPS, why reinvent the wheel, theres plenty of great technology thats already out there that takes care of the head ache!
I usually just give my 2 cents, but since most of the people I meet are stubborn I give a 1$ so my advice isn't lost via exchange rate.

Since ive been on gamedev all ive seen is people recommend others to just design they're own engine.
Now what grinds my gears really is the whole "be pro make your own engine" and then if you dont do it you get negative rep.
Really??

Most of the advice I see on here is write games, not engines.

[quote name='HazePhaze' timestamp='1307953797' post='4822653']
Since ive been on gamedev all ive seen is people recommend others to just design they're own engine.
Now what grinds my gears really is the whole "be pro make your own engine" and then if you dont do it you get negative rep.
Really??

Most of the advice I see on here is write games, not engines.
[/quote]

Was thinking the same thing. The only people I see saying start your own engine are the guys with no finished projects. Why would you waste time on an engine to make one game when there are top quality engines for free or low cost already? Torque, Unity, GameMaker, Unreal, Source, Ogre
If you agree awesome if some dont to each his own but in the end when you coming crying on GameDev crying about why your game looks like trash and why does everyone make a game so quickly with such high quality models and maps.Its simple cause we use Company made engines and we didnt waste our time on designing our own engine.
And Panda3d. Everyone seems to forget Panda3d on these lists.

The only reasons you should ever have to build a game engine of any kind:

1. You want to make an engine for the sake of being able to say you have.
2. You have a theory that cannot be implemented fully in any existing engine, and you have already attempted it in existing projects. (And even then you are better off taking one of the OpenSource Engines and reworking the parts that are holding you back.)
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Steam won't allow 2D on their market any more? Really?

I hate to see the 2D genre become this degrading synonym to "indie newb material." Yeah, it's not 3D, but it's still a genre and the genre that started it all pretty much. I'd like to see 2D taken seriously too.

Back on topic, I thought the same thing the other day. Why are indie developers not helping eachother out? It shouldn't be a fight to the death. Isn't that kind of how the market is already? Yeah that'll make you stand out.
I'm that imaginary number in the parabola of life.
* Very few people pressure people to write their own engines. Much the opposite, actually.
* What kind of negative rep are you referring to?
* Some of us do what we do for more than money.
* Maybe you're an "indie game designer." Not all of us are "indie game designers."
* Steam is not a company. Valve is a the company.
* Valve doesn't care if you put a 2D game on Steam. I don't know where you got that.

Are you sure you should be advising people of anything?
Can you add a link in regards to Valve not allowing the Steam Engine to have 2D games anymore?
I usually just give my 2 cents, but since most of the people I meet are stubborn I give a 1$ so my advice isn't lost via exchange rate.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement