Engine coders v.s Game Company Engines

Started by
49 comments, last by Washu 12 years, 10 months ago
Well to say udk would not be good for a RPG, that is 100% wrong. Since I am making a full online action rpg game with the UDK engine. The only limitation to the engine is your programming level. The only reason why it gets the title and reputation for making a FPS game, is because it gives you the code for UT3. Which none of that code I am using. But I just came on here to give my two sense on the matter, so people dont wrong information about UDK.
www.sigmaxstudios.com

that's my website with information on the game I am making called Apprentice. Let me know if I can answer any qustions about Apprentice or UDK for you.

Have a good one!

Apprentice%252520-%252520Four%252520new%252520in-game%252520screen%252520shots%252521.png

-
Phara0h
Advertisement
The time it takes me to fix a bug or update something in my codebase at work (an EA funded videogame company), is about 20-150x more work than if I work in my own engine which I already know in and out, and is designed in a specific way, and gets the same results with way less code.

And of course people just learn stuff to learn stuff. Nobody goes "I want to learn to code, let me just use someone else's code and I won't need to type a single line of code."

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

The time it takes me to fix a bug or update something in my codebase at work (an EA funded videogame company), is about 20-150x more work than if I work in my own engine which I already know in and out, and is designed in a specific way, and gets the same results with way less code.

And of course people just learn stuff to learn stuff. Nobody goes "I want to learn to code, let me just use someone else's code and I won't need to type a single line of code."

I half agree with you. I agree that no one wants to write code. (well besides us coders anyways :P ) but if there is a bug in your game, regardless if its your engine or some one else's engine (like UDK) then you should be well knowledge in any engine your working with. Either that be your own, or some one else's engine. The reason why I dont write my own, is because why should I? If I were to make my own it would almost be the exact same thing as udk, but a lot worse do to the fact I am the only developer. If I had a team of like 100 developers, yea sure I guess I would make my own to shed off a few milliseconds of cpu time and not have to pay epic for there engine.

I would have to say, most people that try to use UDK or the unreal engine are mostly people that have no idea how to code and want to make a AAA game. Most of those people fail do to the fact they do not know how to code, and they will just try to make a fps and call it there own. When in all reality its just UT3 running there models with some simple kismet scrips to change it around a bit.
So: working with a good engine is better than working with a crappy engine?
ok
ok i never said that UDK wasnt good for RPG's cause im pretty sure i said this

"[color=#1C2837][size=2]UDK is a great example of a engine to use for FPS like games,im not to sure about it going into a RPG, but it would be time consuming."
[color=#1C2837][size=2]time consuming coding wise...
[color=#1C2837][size=2]

[color=#1C2837][size=2]now to the guy that was all anal about the correction from steam to valve is extremely dumb to nitpick at what im saying.Its like being a grammar nazi its just a sad thing to do...I do have in my right to speak my opinion and i find those that make they're own engines are wasting times.But i did not say its wrong for them to make a engine.Just a waste of time when they could be using the UDK or Unity or whatever else engine thats out there.By the time they finish a engine on pair to unity or even the UDK they could of made more then 1 game and have had hired people to help him finish the engine or just buy the engine in itself and then build from that engine.As for the link to the valve thing i will let my friend come on here and link you since he saved the wonderful link.Have a fit idc but i dont have the link currently since i dont make it my day by filling my bookmarks with steam news.
[color=#1C2837][size=2]

[color=#1C2837][size=2](If you wanna be anal about it valve)
[color=#1C2837][size=2]

[color="#1c2837"]Also i have been on here for awhile now and ive seen people advise beginners to just design they're own engine or game in C++ which makes me double face palm my face.I find it distasteful that you would tell a noob to jump on such a project of that magnitude.And by you i mean some of the gamedev people.
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
Scaleform+unrealscript+kismet = RPG.
Failure is simply denying the truth and refusing to adapt for success. Failure is synthetic, invented by man to justify his laziness and lack of moral conduct. What truely lies within failure is neither primative or genetic. What failure is at the heart, is man's inability to rise and meet the challenge. Success is natural, only happening when man stops trying to imitate a synthetic or imaginable object. Once man starts acting outside his emotional standpoints, he will stop trying to imitate synthetic or imaginable objects called forth by the replication of his emptiness inside his mind. Man's mind is forever idle and therefore shall call forth through the primitives of such subconscious thoughts and behaviors that Success is unnatural and that failure is natural. Success is simply doing something at man's full natural abilities and power, failure is the inability to act on what man wants, dreams, wishes, invisions, or thinks himself to do. ~ RED (concluded when I was 5 years old looking at the world with wide eyes)

Scaleform+unrealscript+kismet = RPG.

kismet is not needed, thats for people that dont know how to code. Or people who want a non module game.
I still call kismet events and functions. I code in ASM, C#, Java, UCC, C++, and Python and I still use Kismet for controlling events and functions such as lighting change triggers, some event handle triggers for game mode conditions, and some music triggers. The funny part is, Kismet is there to help you prototype faster, and if you say its not needed well then congratulations. You just like doing everything the longer way don't you? :D No flame intended, don't want this to turn into a noob flaming war.
Failure is simply denying the truth and refusing to adapt for success. Failure is synthetic, invented by man to justify his laziness and lack of moral conduct. What truely lies within failure is neither primative or genetic. What failure is at the heart, is man's inability to rise and meet the challenge. Success is natural, only happening when man stops trying to imitate a synthetic or imaginable object. Once man starts acting outside his emotional standpoints, he will stop trying to imitate synthetic or imaginable objects called forth by the replication of his emptiness inside his mind. Man's mind is forever idle and therefore shall call forth through the primitives of such subconscious thoughts and behaviors that Success is unnatural and that failure is natural. Success is simply doing something at man's full natural abilities and power, failure is the inability to act on what man wants, dreams, wishes, invisions, or thinks himself to do. ~ RED (concluded when I was 5 years old looking at the world with wide eyes)

ok i never said that UDK wasnt good for RPG's cause im pretty sure i said this

"[color="#1c2837"]UDK is a great example of a engine to use for FPS like games,im not to sure about it going into a RPG, but it would be time consuming."
[color="#1c2837"]time consuming coding wise...
[color="#1c2837"]

[color="#1c2837"]now to the guy that was all anal about the correction from steam to valve is extremely dumb to nitpick at what im saying.Its like being a grammar nazi its just a sad thing to do...I do have in my right to speak my opinion and i find those that make they're own engines are wasting times.But i did not say its wrong for them to make a engine.Just a waste of time when they could be using the UDK or Unity or whatever else engine thats out there.By the time they finish a engine on pair to unity or even the UDK they could of made more then 1 game and have had hired people to help him finish the engine or just buy the engine in itself and then build from that engine.As for the link to the valve thing i will let my friend come on here and link you since he saved the wonderful link.Have a fit idc but i dont have the link currently since i dont make it my day by filling my bookmarks with steam news.
[color="#1c2837"]

[color="#1c2837"](If you wanna be anal about it valve)
[color="#1c2837"]

[color="#1c2837"]Also i have been on here for awhile now and ive seen people advise beginners to just design they're own engine or game in C++ which makes me double face palm my face.I find it distasteful that you would tell a noob to jump on such a project of that magnitude.And by you i mean some of the gamedev people.
[color="#1c2837"]

Since you can't provide a link for the Steam/Valve press release then, do you mind linking a thread where someone tells a newbie programmer to learn C++ and create his first engine without learning to make the basics or to research using books.

I turned up 0 search results after an hour of work. I am that bored.

-Mayple

I am not saying that no one has ever said it. But the way you pushed out there that your sick of xxx and sick of xxx you make it seem like its a daily yeild of expectations. In all honesty in all the lurking before I registered, to today, I have seen nothing of appraisal and happyness for people just learning how to make simple games. I have yet to see anyone come off condescending saying Your new write your own engine, har har. Some pople have said other things that you may have taken out of context... like:

"Your using a FPS engine, you may need to alter it, or rewrite it to make it as an MMO, but it may be easier to make your own engine since theres not one currently on the market"
I usually just give my 2 cents, but since most of the people I meet are stubborn I give a 1$ so my advice isn't lost via exchange rate.

ok well ill repeat what ive said about the steam thing i dont save everything they update on, my friend linked it to me once read it and tossed it.I dont save these things cause i dont find it useful.I wouldnt make such a thing up i wouldnt gain anything from it and i really dont care if people want to design 2D games that look worse then a ping pong game made straight from C++...Im not trying to be rude and if you are saying your new here you do realize that alot of things get deleted and tossed around in this forum.I wont be linking anyone or anything you will soon see the sadness i have seen.I can easily also say that gamedev is the sure place to go if you wanna get encouraged to make a 2D game instead of a 3D game.Ive seen these people post on these forums and it makes me sad to see such a waste who knows if they're stuff could be the next big thing but they rather waste it on making they're own engine.

asking for links will get you no where cause i will not just simply go through everything to prove what ive said.I have no reason to lie at all and i dont really care if people think i am.I dont lose any sleep at all.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement