Can applications built with Unity3d be freely distributed?

Started by
5 comments, last by landlocked 12 years, 10 months ago
Any copyright constraints for that? No loyalties, commissions whatsoever? Thanks in advance Jack
Advertisement

Any copyright constraints for that? No loyalties, commissions whatsoever? Thanks in advance Jack

there is a limit on how much money you can make with unity 3d free version. (200k last i checked). Also, they limit a certain number of features.

------------------------------

redwoodpixel.com

Why not see for yourself? The Unity website is very clear.

http://unity3d.com/unity/licenses
http://unity3d.com/unity/faq.html
Thanks guys, i'll check that out. I wonder if there are any comparable products that are similar to unity3d, but have unlimited licensing scheme? Thanks Jack

I wonder if there are any comparable products that are similar to unity3d, but have unlimited licensing scheme?

Not really -- there are other products of the same type available, but you'll generally find that they're either of a lower quality, have a similar or even more restrictive licencing terms, or a combination of both. What sort of game are you looking at creating?

If you take a look at Unity's licencing you'll find the terms are actually very reasonable -- particularly as you asked about releasing a free product, which would incur no charges what-so-ever unless you happen to need the feature set of a professional version -- and that the free version does include a large number of the features offered by the package.

If you're looking for an option that doesn't have the same restrictions and cost involved and don't mind working at a lower-level you might consider programming with C# and XNA.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Thanks guys, i'll check that out. I wonder if there are any comparable products that are similar to unity3d, but have unlimited licensing scheme? Thanks Jack

So what you're saying is that you don't want to buy Unity 3D even though you only have to when you're product has sold $20k? Unity 3D is extremely cheap for what it does. Have you seen the costs for a full-blown license for the other commercial engines?

Unity 3D is a solid product and is worth every penny (I don't work for Unity - just have used it a lot).

[quote name='lucky6969b' timestamp='1307995926' post='4822903']

there is a limit on how much money you can make with unity 3d free version. (200k last i checked). Also, they limit a certain number of features.
[/quote]
No where do they limit your potential income from what I've been able to find.

Can we sell games and make money with the free version of Unity?

Yes! You certainly can-- and without royalties nor paying any revenue share! If your game is a commercial success, we hope you'll upgrade to Unity Pro! :)[/quote]

The only stipulation to this is that shops who made 100k or more last year MUST use Pro. From their 3.x EULA:

2) LICENSING RESTRICTIONS:
(a) Unity Pro may be licensed by any company, educational institution, incorporated entity, or individual.

[size="4"](b) Unity (free version) may not be licensed and used by companies, educational institution or incorporated entities that had a turnover in excess of US$100,000 in their last fiscal year.

© Discounted academic versions of Unity or Unity Pro may only be licensed by educational institutions for use by their students and staff. The license is granted for learning purposes and may not be used for publishing commercial content.

(d) A company, educational institution, incorporated entity, or individual may not license both Unity Pro and Unity at the same time.[/quote]

Emphasis added.
Always strive to be better than yourself.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement