Is the IGDA Relevant?

Started by
13 comments, last by heathermdecker 12 years, 10 months ago
I noticed it's pretty sad at the IGDA forums. There's not much communication going on. Most of the chapters don't seem to have had any activity in months or years.

Is the IGDA relevant to our industry anymore? Were they ever? How so?

When I was a kid in school, I was an IGDA member so that I could get a free subscription to Game Developer magazine. They no longer offer that perk. Is there more to the IGDA that I'm not seeing?
Advertisement
Here in Melbourne they have regular meetings -- the people in a room kind, not the internet forum kind -- which are supported by local development studios. That might be one reason why their forums seem dead.

Here in Melbourne they have regular meetings -- the people in a room kind, not the internet forum kind -- which are supported by local development studios. That might be one reason why their forums seem dead.

I feel like these forums kind of deprecate the online forums of the IGDA. There's so much more activity here, they cover the same topics, and they contain a lot of the same people.

Speaking of which i should probably renew my membership <_<
We also have semi-regular IGDA meetings in Salt Lake City. There are 9 local studios and most have participants in IGDA; a few of the studios host from time to time. It's been at EA Salt Lake, Wahoo/NinjaBee, and a few others, plus occasional meetings at a the various universities (U of U, Broadview, etc.) and others at local eateries.

Although the major studios (Disney and EA) have policies that prevent employees from releasing work, we are generally encouraged to help in the community more as a mentoring role at IGDA meetings and other events.

Also, don't forget their student organization. Several Universities have Student IGDA chapters or have individuals that participate in their student SIG.
It's sad what happened to the IGDA forums, actually. Back at the turn of the century (feels so weird to say that in regards to recent history) the IGDA boards were as excellent a resource as these ones. There were a lot of great discussions and people hanging around. That all ended when they tried to redo the site (around 2006 it was I think? 08? Can't remember exactly) and the forums became a slow, unusable mess. I used to visit regularly though - I would open the page, then go browse some other forums while I waited for it to load. Seriously. Eventually though it just starved itself to death.

As an organization though the IGDA is still very relevant. They still need to fix their online presence up a bit in some ways (they've actually come a good ways since the site revamp), but as you've seen already in replies the local chapters are still going strong. If you have any problems getting in touch with your local chapter or starting your own, contact [email="ryan@igda.org"]Ryan Arndt[/email], the IGDA community manager and he will help you out post haste!

I'm hugely indebted to the IGDA. When I was starting in the industry I rebooted my local IGDA chapter back in 2001 and have met so many people in a state of the US that at the time I was sure had absolutely no game developers in it at all. So many of my good industry friends have come through contacts and work I've done with the IGDA. The key thing many people don't realize is that you get out of the IGDA what you put into it. It's not so much an organization to simply serve game developers as an org for game developers to serve themselves and each other. Everyone in it from members to Board of Directors is a game dev who just wants to look out for other game devs and the industry as a whole. If you join up and sit back and expect wonders to happen for you most people end up a bit disappointed. Involvement is key.

@way2lazy2care - def get that membership renewed! :)

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

I'm the same way as another poster -> I had a student membership in the IGDA and benefited greatly thanks to the discount on books from certain publishers and a free copy of GameDev magazine. I'd probably join again if I felt that the IGDA was an active participant in, well, anything.

I look forward to reading more responses and see what others think.

The game development community around 'ol Winchester VA isn't big enough to start a chapter, but that's one thing I plan on looking into today.
Mark A. Drake
OnSlaught Games
Mark Drake

It's sad what happened to the IGDA forums, actually. Back at the turn of the century (feels so weird to say that in regards to recent history) the IGDA boards were as excellent a resource as these ones. There were a lot of great discussions and people hanging around. That all ended when they tried to redo the site (around 2006 it was I think? 08? Can't remember exactly) and the forums became a slow, unusable mess. I used to visit regularly though - I would open the page, then go browse some other forums while I waited for it to load. Seriously. Eventually though it just starved itself to death.

As an organization though the IGDA is still very relevant.
The key thing many people don't realize is that you get out of the IGDA what you put into it.
If you join up and sit back and expect wonders to happen for you most people end up a bit disappointed. Involvement is key.
@way2lazy2care - def get that membership renewed! :)

I understand that I might get a lot out of it if I were to start a local chapter (or actually work to revive my local chapter). I could just as easily start a non-IGDA-related organization, however, such as a Meetup.

So my question is, what does the IGDA do for me? You tell way2lazy2care to renew his membership. What you're really telling him is to pay his dues. If I'm paying for something shouldn't I get something out of it, regardless of whether I choose to become an active member? And if the way to get something out of it is to start a local organization, why do it through the IGDA instead of doing it for free?

I'm not saying the IGDA is worthless, my ears are open. I've already paid my dues so I'm actually hoping someone will tell me that it wasn't a waste of money.

The game development community around 'ol Winchester VA isn't big enough to start a chapter, but that's one thing I plan on looking into today.

Well, I'm in Chicago, and the local chapter here seems to have been struggling for years. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the demise of Midway and general lack of game development in Chicago. There are some companies, but not enough to support a community I guess.
heyo, the site is not ideal nor in great shape, besides many chapters are posting and organizing on meetup.com and facebook. I am working to improve the bridge between social media and the site with what is available atm.

For you specifically, the Chicago chapter is doing pretty well, but its posting it on facebook. I can intro you if you like. Even have one of the IGDA Scholars (http://igda.org/scholarships) from E3, who is involved with chapter organization there. please feel free to add me on facebook too http://facebook.com/ryan80e or tweet at me @igda and I can help you out. I also keep things updated at least twice a day on the IGDA Facebook page at http://facebook.com/igda.org

As for why not just a local event, I believe the connection beyond a city is very powerful, and as the Global Community Manager, I get to see the great things going on, right on the forefront. There are now over 100 Chapters from Malaysia to Nigeria, to Columbia, to China to Mexico to South Africa. A local meetup will not connect you to what is going on around the world in the same way, if you choose to jump in to that. Ping me on twiitter or facebook, and I will intro you to your local chapter folks :) The IGDA has lots going on including the above, as well as Special Interest Groups (http://igda.org/sigs - many on facebook too), the IGDA Perspectives Newsletter (http://igda.org/newsletter), events (http://igda.org/summit , http://igda.org/leadership ), education programs (http://igda.org/education) and then some.

Looking forward to talking to you soon :)

Ryan
ryan at igda dot org
@igda on twitter
http://facebook.com/igda.org
Add me on facebook: http://facebook.com/ryan80e

[quote name='markadrake' timestamp='1308151535' post='4823649']

Well, I'm in Chicago, and the local chapter here seems to have been struggling for years. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the demise of Midway and general lack of game development in Chicago. There are some companies, but not enough to support a community I guess.
[/quote]
On the matter of chapters, I've been attending events of the Toronto chapter soon after it started up, and we've got quite the active community coming out to meet and talk shop every month. To me, it seems like the chapters are more relevant than the parent organization. As for SIGs, I wouldn't know what to say. Some may be pretty active, but I've not heard much from the ones I follow, besides the constantly-troubled Indies SIG (disclosure: I used to be one of the Indie SIG admins).

I have to say though, that the value of membership in the IGDA isn't what it used to be, at least for individuals. I was a member back when we'd get GDMag as a soupcon, and for some time afterwards. But when the IGDA and CMP ended their relationship (which also included CMP's assistance in managing the organization, not just the magazine subscription), a lot seemed to change with the IGDA, as they stopped focusing so much on supporting developers and put more effort into just managing the association themselves. I think things like the current, broken-down website are a symptom of that. Another thing I've noticed is despite "International" in the name, some of the offers available to full members are only really relevant to Americans (for example, the health care program).

In short, the IGDA can be very relevant at the chapter level, but as you get higher, it seems less and less so, unfortunately. If I had ideas on how to change that and make things better, I'd probably rejoin and put my name in various hats, but as I don't, I can't see a reason to rejoin when I can already participate in my local chapter anyway.

Chris 'coldacid' Charabaruk – Programmer, game designer, writer | twitter

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement