Best Sound API?

Started by
15 comments, last by BreckenChaseHipp 12 years, 9 months ago

Is this something that a DAW such as FL Studio could supplement for? Or is that completely different from the feature set of FMOD?

Again (to tag team what Phantom already said) FL Studio just creates the audio assets but does nothing when it comes to implementing the audio in the video game. Not to be rude, but this has been brought up and discussed in your other thread. By asking this question again, I'm afraid you might not still understand this concept.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Advertisement
I know the difference between asset creation and implementation, it was only a miscommunication. When you said "audio creator/implementor" I thought you meant FMOD had it's own audio creation suite. xD But it is only an audio implementation suite.

Is it possible to duplicate the interfaces of FMOD from the ground up using OpenAL (from a theoretical standpoint)? Or does FMOD have extra hardware access/support that OpenAL doesn't have? I usually like low level APIs to some extent because I can customize an object model of my own to create my game engine with.

I know the difference between asset creation and implementation, it was only a miscommunication. When you said "audio creator/implementor" I thought you meant FMOD had it's own audio creation suite. xD But it is only an audio implementation suite.

Oh, what I meant by "audio creator/implementer" is that in many cases the person that creates the audio also implements it. In other cases, commonly freelance, someone else implements the audio.

Is it possible to duplicate the interfaces of FMOD from the ground up using OpenAL (from a theoretical standpoint)? Or does FMOD have extra hardware access/support that OpenAL doesn't have? I usually like low level APIs to some extent because I can customize an object model of my own to create my game engine with.

Sure it's possible but it would take a good bit of programming, time and effort.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Alright, thank you, I think I know enough info to make more decisions on how my audio engine will be laid out.

Or does FMOD have extra hardware access/support that OpenAL doesn't have?

It's likely to be the other way around; FMOD sits on top of the platforms audio system, however with OpenAL on windows you can bypass the normal software stack and go "direct" to the hardware on Creative cards meaning you have some access to the EAX effects and (for some cards) on-card RAM for small sounds.

However the work load to produce something like FMOD, including the tools it has, is going to be very high indeed so probably isn't worth the effort.
Depending on which platforms/languages you're aiming to support, Microsoft's XACT might be something to look at (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee416188%28v=VS.85%29.aspx).

It's an audio API plus set of UI tools for creating sound waves, banks, events and effects, with a data-driven API to get the stuff working in game exactly how you authored it. Documentation is excellent, sample code is plentiful and since it's mostly aimed towards the XNA community the support forums are lively.

"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2

A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

Wwise is the best implementation middleware I've ever used. It's extremely intuitive, and incredibly indepth. There hasn't been an issue I couldn't solve with Wwise.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement