What you do when...

Started by
17 comments, last by Brain 12 years, 9 months ago
... your totally uninspired and out of ideas for your Game

Im stuck at a point where I cant find any good Ideas for my Game or cool features.

Any suggestions to get a fresh mind ?
[size="2"]Java / C# Developer
Advertisement
Have a rest.
Do you like to do.
Play some fun console game.
Have some drink.
Have a sleep.
Back to work.

https://www.kbasm.com -- My personal website

https://github.com/wqking/eventpp  eventpp -- C++ library for event dispatcher and callback list

https://github.com/cpgf/cpgf  cpgf library -- free C++ open source library for reflection, serialization, script binding, callbacks, and meta data for OpenGL Box2D, SFML and Irrlicht.

Switch focus for some time. Processing the same thought over and over again gives no insight as you are locked on that one single target and all else fades away. Play another game or take a stroll outside. Clean your mind, don't think about forcing an idea out. Listen to yourself and all that is around you. Relax and let thoughts out of your mind's pen. I'm sure that if you do, you will be able to catch one that was squashed by the others or shyed away from revealing itself.

Make sure you don't disregard even the stupidest idea that comes to mind - it might be the first step that causes a chain reaction leading to an awesome design.
Disclaimer: Each my post is intended as an attempt of helping and/or brining some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone, unless stated otherwise

Homepage (Under Construction)

Check my profile for funny D&D/WH FRP quotes :)
Listen to music. Every time I listen to something it makes me want to make a game that somehow feels like that music. Though I suppose it hasn't really yielded any concrete ideas for me yet.
I quit my job and spend two months doing nothing. Before the two months are done, I usually start having ideas.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Why do people write thread subjects like this?

It's called a "subject." The reason it's called a "subject" is that it should state the subject of the thread. That way people know what it's about without having to click on it.

It's not called a "first four words."

It's called a "subject." The reason it's called a "subject" is that it should state the subject of the thread. That way people know what it's about without having to click on it.

Because this is a forum populated by rather geeky people. Geeks are known to be highly curious, and it becomes second nature to wonder what the end of a sentence is.

You clicked on the thread wondering what it was about, didn't you? It works.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

There's a forum preview button. Hover over the post and on the right side (on the non-mobile version) you'll see a preview button. Click that. :cool:

I quit my job and spend two months doing nothing. Before the two months are done, I usually start having ideas.

This may work. What's not guarantied is that the ideas you come up with are going to be related to your game or game development in general! XD
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
The easiest way for me to get inspired is to work on something else entirely...if you get stuck you're not going to make progress worrying about it, you NEED to step back and take another look (like cleansing the palate between sushi dishes).

I have 3 main interests that I cycle through, and I occasionally get burned out on each one of them. Each one is hard work and virtually endless study for life (music, programming, and illustration). I've been doing 2 of them professionally for most of my adult life, and the drawing I picked up in mmy mid-30s (it's my "fun" hobby for when I get old :)

I used to feel anxious about getting stuck or burned out but I have learned this is a natural part of the cycle..you can't get a great performance if you are constantly hammering at the same thing, I didn't get into programming and drawing because I stopped caring about music so much, its that I really needed something else to balance out my life (practicing scales for 14 hours a day is great in your 20s but it's not a good lifestyle choice and eventually your music will be stiff and uninspired).

I learned the same thing about writing software, at a certain point you max out your available effort that your brain can apply to any specific area, and the quality of your work and ideas suffers for it.

This is your mind's way of telling you to take a break. Listen to it.
"Like all good things, it starts with a monkey.."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement