I need some advice on running a linux on my mac

Started by
5 comments, last by Concentrate 12 years, 10 months ago
I need to develop on linux to update some software and I need some advice. I know on my mac I can do one of two things, run parallel or virtualization. I am trying virtualization but its really annoying me. I use virtual box and it crashes often and any work I develop simply gets lost. I do not want to spend any money. So any advice?

P.S : I have a windows pc, and I'm thinking about converting that into linux based system.
Edge cases will show your design flaws in your code!
Visit my site
Visit my FaceBook
Visit my github
Advertisement
Vmware workstation if you don't mind the costs (i believe there is a trial too). I have no idea why Vbox would crash for you, it's was insanely stable last time i checked it.

Vmware workstation if you don't mind the costs (i believe there is a trial too). I have no idea why Vbox would crash for you, it's was insanely stable last time i checked it.

Yea I'm not sure why its crashing. I run a virtualize 32-bit on my mac. It works sometimes then other times it freezes and all information saved is lost. I even made sure that it had received enough memory( RAM and HardDrive). I think I'm going to run the windows installer on my old windows pc. Or maybe I should check if there is a local computer lab that runs linux.
Visit my site
Visit my FaceBook
Visit my github

I need to develop on linux to update some software and I need some advice. I know on my mac I can do one of two things, run parallel or virtualization. I am trying virtualization but its really annoying me. I use virtual box and it crashes often and any work I develop simply gets lost. I do not want to spend any money. So any advice?

P.S : I have a windows pc, and I'm thinking about converting that into linux based system.

You get what you pay for. I have VMWare Fusion and it works almost flawlessly at running Windows and Linux on my Mac.
I have an Intel MacBook Pro 15" with Parallels Desktop 6. It runs just awesome. Both Linux and Windows 7.

It's fast, integrated and really easy to setup. You just give a user name and it practically configures everything for you (including network drives between your OSX and your virtual machine to share stuff as well as full hardware support).

http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/

Hope it helps :P. Good luck!
There is a third option, it's booting linux on your mac, if you're already using bootcamp to boot windows, it's the same idea.

https://help.ubuntu....Book/TripleBoot

It can get a bit tricky with the partition table but if you follow the instructions you should be fine. If you have windows installed already make sure you don't format that disk, and you only need to install ubuntu, skip the windows installer, unless you want a fresh install, of course.
You have to install rEFIT since otherwise your boot won't recognize the format of your Linux partition and you won't be able to boot from it

It worked for me on my Intel Mac.

I also use VMWare Fusion, and like loom_weaver said, it's worth every penny, never had any problems with it.
Lovedrunk Studios
I went with installing linux on my windows, but also considering installing linux on my windows at work( seeing if they would let me ), and when I'm done, I can just uninstall it. I looked at parallel and other virtualizations, but I really don't want to pay the extra money, at least not right now. Thanks for the advice.

regards, D.Chhetri
Visit my site
Visit my FaceBook
Visit my github

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement