I have a question.

Started by
9 comments, last by Lode 12 years, 10 months ago
I am trying to get a game made and we're having an internal discussion on art direction.
Should turn based strategy games like Final Fantasy Tactics use 2D sprites or 3D models (textured)?
Even if your answer is just a yes or no, please add a comment about why you chose that answer.
Thanks!
Advertisement

I am trying to get a game made and we're having an internal discussion on art direction.
Should turn based strategy games like Final Fantasy Tactics use 2D sprites or 3D models (textured)?
Even if your answer is just a yes or no, please add a comment about why you chose that answer.
Thanks!

I voted maybe because really the art style has nothing to do with the gameplay in that kind of game. I could easily see either being very interesting.
Just a small notice. You should slightly rewrite the poll question, it's a bit confusing. Maybe, "Should turn based strategy games like Final Fantasy Tactics use 2D sprites instead of 3D models (textured)?"

I voted 2D sprites, by the way. Just personal preference since I loved the sprites in Tactics Advance and A2.
"Rodimus and Unity" - My developer journal
That's a definitely maybe imo.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Agreed with Rodimus, your poll question doesn't actually make sense, as you've posed an "A or B" question and then asked for a "yes" or "no" answer.

What talent do you have available in your team? In my opinion you should choose whichever option you're more easily able to actually produce results with, assuming of course your target platform doesn't impose any restrictions that make one option more attractive than the other. Technically you could achieve exactly the same look with either of the two techniques, so it really comes down to which is easier for you to implement.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I'm also a 'maybe' with a strong tendency towards 3D-models (don't like animations with too few frames)...

Agreed with Rodimus, your poll question doesn't actually make sense, as you've posed an "A or B" question and then asked for a "yes" or "no" answer.

What talent do you have available in your team? In my opinion you should choose whichever option you're more easily able to actually produce results with, assuming of course your target platform doesn't impose any restrictions that make one option more attractive than the other. Technically you could achieve exactly the same look with either of the two techniques, so it really comes down to which is easier for you to implement.

That about sums it up. I think you would probably also find a 'break even point', depending on your designers/modelers from which you would prefer one over the other. Like it was said, I also don't think that the technique has too much of an impact on the general mood of the game.

Just a small notice. You should slightly rewrite the poll question, it's a bit confusing. Maybe, "Should turn based strategy games like Final Fantasy Tactics use 2D sprites instead of 3D models (textured)?"

I voted 2D sprites, by the way. Just personal preference since I loved the sprites in Tactics Advance and A2.

Good catch, yeah looking back at it I noticed the bad wording immediately--Thanks!

Well we've had offers for 2D sprite artists before but they all bail when they find out it's not just one sprite that needs to be made.
Right now we're either going to borrow free sprites and then replace them as we go or replace them with 3D models.
Normally I'd just go with sprites but you can get more animation out of models I think with less work.
It seems that I went with the trend of: Maybe.

In my opinion it depends on the scale of the game as well as the development team making it. If you have a character artist at the ready from the beginning, are able to maintain the same quality of graphics throughout the entire project, and can keep the triangle count per scene within acceptable limits then go for the models. However, if your plan is to slap models in at the last moment I would recommend against it since you will likely have in-congruency of graphic style between assets.
I like 2d sprites a bit better than 3d models for turn based strategy.

The characters seem to be a bit more distinguishable from the background as a 2d sprite on a 3d model. A 3d model on 3d background tends to blend together. When you have 30 or 40 characters you've got to keep track of, having that distinction is important.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement