Laptop for Game Programming

Started by
26 comments, last by techguitar 12 years, 10 months ago

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

I really appreciate it and yes, it does help a lot. I am still a n00b, trying to figure my way into the career.

I have not even started my classes so I myself dont know how much time will I be able to dedicate to game development.

Now that this thread has got some serious replies, I would like to ask the right people - how should I go about game programming during college ?
Advertisement

Any suggestions on Windows vs Mac ?
I read the Mac can be used for most computer science needs. Not sure if that is valid for game development.
Never been a Mac fanboy in any case.

If money is no object then go Mac. They are far superior products. Your Mac will be able to run Windows 7 as well as any non-Mac laptop, OSX which is a much nicer OS in my opinion, and most other OSs you may want to put on it.

If money is an object then don't go Mac. There are much cheaper non-Mac products that do everything a Mac does (but not as nicely).
As others already mentioned, a big screen with help you alot, both with the programming and the graphical work. I have a school laptop which is on 15" and also a 19" connected to my desctop. In my opinion I must say that it's so much easier to program on a big screen. On my laptop, I have to set the solution explorer, error window etc. in Visual Studio to show on hoover, as the code window would simply be too small if I would have all other windows viewable. On my desctop however, I can have both solution explorer and error window viewable and still have lot of place left for the code window. So yes, a big screen is preferable. My tip for you would be to buy a powerfull laptop. I guess that you can set your laptop on charge during your lessons work, I do it too and I can't say that it's too messy, but then you'll be safe and not forced to get a new computer for the third year.

I would go for Windows 7, but I think that's just becouse I've never used Mac. I don't know how the support for Visual Studio, Maya/Max etc. is on Mac. On the other hand, all Adobe programs as Photoshop, Illustrator etc. are designed firstly for Mac, but they work as well on Windows 7.

I would recomend you to go by your own taste, but keep in mind that if you aren't familiar with Mac, it can be very frustrating to learn a new operating system while you at the same time want to work hard with your studies.

I would go for Windows 7, but I think that's just becouse I've never used Mac. I don't know how the support for Visual Studio, Maya/Max etc. is on Mac. On the other hand, all Adobe programs as Photoshop, Illustrator etc. are designed firstly for Mac, but they work as well on Windows 7.

I would recomend you to go by your own taste, but keep in mind that if you aren't familiar with Mac, it can be very frustrating to learn a new operating system while you at the same time want to work hard with your studies.

As I just said, it's extremely easy to install Windows 7 on the Mac. You can run it through a virtual machine, meaning it'll be running from within OSX, or you can boot straight to windows and have nothing to do with OSX at all.

I'm currently on a non-mac laptop, because money is an object. But I sure do miss my Macbook Pro. The build quality is unmatched.
Just my two cents here, I noticed a lot of people mentioning the screen size.

For programming, a big screen is a big plus, since you have more overview, which means far better sight on whatever you're programming at the moment and far less scrolling.

But if you will make your an important workstation the following years, I would also advise for a good resolution. I have a 15,6" laptop at the moment with 1920x1080 as a screen resolution, and this was an important factor in my purchase. A screen of 13" or 15" won't really matter if they have the same resolution, you'll have the same overview. So if I were you, not only get a screen that's at least 15", also make sure it's at least qualitative, since you'll be staring at it a lot the next few years :)
Lovedrunk Studios

I really appreciate it and yes, it does help a lot. I am still a n00b, trying to figure my way into the career.

I have not even started my classes so I myself dont know how much time will I be able to dedicate to game development.

Now that this thread has got some serious replies, I would like to ask the right people - how should I go about game programming during college ?

Focus first on your assignments. Get them done. If it is a choice between your own hobby game and a degree, focus on getting the degree.

Secondarily you can consider how the assignments and concepts can help your hobby of making games. Being able to apply what you have learned is important. If you can apply your concepts directly you will learn more and be able to ask better questions, which is a critical way to learn.

You should also spend some time actually living life. If you are spending your entire life as an anti-social hermit going from classes to homework to game programming with nothing else in your life, that's not healthy. Make sure you get a good life balance, the late teen and early college years are the ones most forgiving to big mistakes. It's important to experience them, preferably by watching others make them, but make a few of your own.

First of all, a 13" laptop will be annoying to program on. That size screen might end up being too small. More screen real estate is better, it will be much easier to get things done.

If I were you I'd go 15". The integrated chipset should be fine, you have a lot to learn before you get into higher-end graphics.

In principle I agree, however, screen size != screen real-estate. There are plenty of 15.6" laptops out there with the same 1366x768 resolution you'll find on many 12"-13.3" notebooks -- even some as as small as 10.1".

You want a combination of resolution AND screen size to provide enough pixels which are large enough to not strain your eyes. You can find a few 13.3" notebooks in the range of 1440x900 or 1600x900 -- notably the 13" macBook Air, and there's a Sony Vaio that I'm aware of. The MacBook Air is probably out due to rather old components inside currently -- however its rumored that a whole new wave of mac products will be launched alongside OSX 10.7 very soon, including new Airs, Minis, and MacPros.

On the PC side, its worth noting that AMD's new laptop platform, based on the Llano Fusion APU will be on shelves within the month, possibly weeks -- early reviews are promising -- with CPU power competitive with lower-end Intel CPUs and GPU power comparable to low-medium-end desktop GPUs (400 shader cores, plays many modern games at native resolution at playable framerates). The best part is that you can expect to see these machines appear for $600-$800 probably, and with battery life topping 8 hours.

If its not a pressing matter, I would recommend waiting a month or so to see what's new -- normally you can't play that game with PC hardware because it will always be "one more month", but in this case the market shift is going to be pretty dramatic, and the schedule is known.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Easiest thing to look for is a dedicated gpu. No integrated.
I would also look for a duel core about 2 GHZ+. Quad is over kill.
Also, if you plan on using linux, then get one with NVIDIA, not ATI/AMD (GPU)

I have a Sony Vaio with Core 2 duo running at 2 GHZ, 6GB of RAM, ATI HD 4650 (like I said, get an NVIDIA) with native resolution at 1600x900. Don't know the screen size, but bigger than 2 wii motes with motion plus diagonal. Program on it all the time. Runs WoW in Ultra (besides shadows) perfectly. Paid $1k for it ~2 years ago, something better for cheaper is available now a day.

Supposedly, if my computer is running something non gpu intensive, it will fall back to integrated. So you can look for a laptop with that. Will save power. Not sure if mine actually does that or I just read something wrong, but they are out there.

Just look for specs like that and it will be perfect.

If you pay more than a grand for a laptop, that is a bad choice. Blah was going to comment on the person who suggested a Mac but I will leave that for another day.
my blog contains ramblings and what I am up to programming wise.
Thank you all for your replies !
After going through everything in this thread I went to the electronics market and did some research.

I found this Acer Aspire TimelineX 5830TG

I know not many people like Acer but its specs are pretty good for the price.
Intel Core i5-2410M
Nvidia GeForce GT540M
4GB RAM (upgrade to 8)
15.6" screen
750GB HDD
And its got a pretty solid battery life.
Acer promises 8 hours and the reviews I read confirmed it.

Its available for SG$1200 = US$970

However, there are 2 drawbacks.
The battery cannot be replaced.
And there seems to be a throttling issue in the series.
I'm not sure what exactly that is, if somebody could advise me here.
Acer laptops got good price vs specs because they are crap in quality of production + about the worst customer support in the world.
From my experience I would recommend one of toshiba satellite series (http://us.toshiba.co.../satellite/P770), they are of good quality (i don't treat my hardware well and they are yet to break on my, unlike many other I tried), manufacturer guarantee and not bad price. Keyboard + mousepad setup is great to work "on the go". On top of that keyboard is "desktop sized" which makes it easier to switch between desktop and laptop (same keyboard layout).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement