Minecraft

Started by
32 comments, last by Amaz1ng 12 years, 9 months ago

Did you even read the OPs post? He wasn't saying "hey check out this awesome new game", he was asking about map generation and server maintenance.

And your point is what, exactly? I gave him enough information to find an article about Minecraft map generation, should he choose to pursue it, and also added my own playfully ribbing comment that he obviously missed the boat on the whole Minecraft craze. Have you helped him out in any way?

And yes, he was saying "Hey check out this awesome new game.
[color="#1C2837"]In a nutshell its a sandbox game.... The website is minecraft.net, I believe they have the beta out for $15.[/quote]
Did you read the OPs post??
Advertisement

[quote name='AutoBot' timestamp='1308666014' post='4825994']
I get salty talking to him in real life, and even more when I have chatted with him a few times via a messanging program. Honestly the developer is full of himself because his version of the game took off.

Now what I'm curious about is WHY the game took off. The concepts of it are similar to various other games that never really were successful, after all. This is interesting, though, I suppose Minecraft isn't as original as I thought it was.

It's interesting how the noise maps work, never knew it was quite so easy to generate terrains like that. I'll have to try to implement my own sometime. xD

As to Manic Digger... I do understand the fact that everyone's a little annoyed at it being a "clone" to minecraft, but the guy should at least get some credit for it. After all its great that he's actually making the game in C++.

And I will look into servercraft, it might actually be most convenient for me.
[/quote]

Its actually the other way around, minecraft is the "clone" to manic digger, and as far as who came first is concerned. In my opinion is not as much of who came first, but who ran with it the best, For all anyone knows, some guy might of came up with the photoelectric effect but never published it, While Eistein won the noble prize for it, There are no real "original ideas" anymore, everything is a derivitive of another.

Edit - @Mayple - From what I've seen Notch seems to be a cool person
[/quote]

Notch is a very nice guy. Its more or less the ego that goes with it. When Minecraft was first taking off we had a few chats, I honestly started to think he was one of the larger douche bags I have ever known in the world. It reminded me of Tom Fulp when Alien Hominid took of, it was just one of those things where his ego was larger and he was the center of attention. While I understand it, remember its not that you made an awesome game, its the players made your game awesome. Minecraft is still a baby and the reason it became a cult hit is beyond me, its the same as Nyan cat in all manners, one person says hey check this out, next thing you know its the largest thing. It was a fad and its already starting to die out.

Now Notch now is not like how Notch was when he came into the lime light. Honestly now I have no problems with him. He is a really nice guy and always has, but his ego killed me off. Its slowly going back to normal now, just the 15 minutes of fame caught up with him.
I usually just give my 2 cents, but since most of the people I meet are stubborn I give a 1$ so my advice isn't lost via exchange rate.

There are one-hit wonders in our world, just as there are in the music world.

If he creates a completely different game that is also extremely successful, then he can start getting a big head.

[quote name='Eelco' timestamp='1308647979' post='4825892']
But after the minecraft terrain is generated, its freely manipulable, as a frigging volume. All terrain that has even been manipulated (which tends to happen a lot in minecraft) also needs to be stored in memory from that point on. Actually I think youd even need to store all terain that has ever been seen, considering there is a lot of dynamic stuff like tree growth and monster spawning going on, even when these areas are nothing even remotely resembling being in view.

I myself am pretty amazed at how well minecraft handles this. These worlds are not just infinite in theory; there are videos in which people actually build insanely long roads for instance, without showing any signs of slowing down. I havnt seen its equal yet

Store the Seed Data for a chunk, then a 'mask' that contains the difference between the seed and what the current state of the chunk/subchuck is.

When you then go back to the area the computer takes the seed value and regenerates the land 100% the same as it was the first time, then applies the masks to make up for the changes. Most chunks will have next to no mask data, some chunks will have more. Additionally you can apply some basic compression methods to your masks to reduce the data needed to actually store the mask.

How you implement the mask would then depend on how the world is generated and what you expect to be done with it.
[/quote]

Thats all rather obvious, but the bottom line is that i have not see anyone do anything of similar complexity.

I get salty talking to him in real life, and even more when I have chatted with him a few times via a messanging program. Honestly the developer is full of himself because his version of the game took off.

Now what I'm curious about is WHY the game took off. The concepts of it are similar to various other games that never really were successful, after all. This is interesting, though, I suppose Minecraft isn't as original as I thought it was.

[/quote]

Such as?

Minecraft really takes the notion of a sandbox game to the next level, with sufficient polishing to actually be a game rather than a techdemo. Thats what drives it success. Not that there isnt any stochasticity to such succeses, but to say that its nothing inherent to the game seems absurd to me.
Is there like a demo I could try (since all the hype has piqued my interest)

I looked at the minecraft site http://www.minecraft.net/download.jsp it looks like youve gotta pay first before you can try it

Im sure there are freeware clones
http://www.thanksforplaying.net/content.php?188-Clonecraft-The-Growing-World-of-Minecraft-Clones

Whats the best one?
I would recommend Terraria. It's a 2d game which is similar to minecraft, but I found it to be much more engaging.
Has anyone here maintained a minecraft server? I'm only curious as to how likely compromisation is for these servers (considering port forwarding is required, and minecraft is still in beta). Would anyone recommend using a dedicated server (possibly cloud) over a normal PC?
I have not, but Shamus Young has one. It seems the performance is incredibly low on its configuration (more than 4 players on the same zone and you're screwed), but I don't have fresh news. As far as I've been told however, more than CPU power, bandwidth is a serious issue... I don't know much to be honest.

Previously "Krohm"

I would recommend Terraria. It's a 2d game which is similar to minecraft, but I found it to be much more engaging.

Yea minecraft is kind of tapped out for me, not developing fast enough.

I prefer dwarf fortress for the 3d building w/ mechanics.

Terraria more for the RPG element of getting gear and exploring.

Minecraft kind of sits in the middle but doesn't reach the heights of these two games.

I prefer dwarf fortress for the 3d building w/ mechanics.

Thanks for reminding me... I haven't checked on progress on that in a while now. Last time I was playing it had sort of stalled out.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement