A Newbie, A Vision, No budget.

Started by
67 comments, last by nfries88 12 years, 9 months ago
Hello everyone, my name is obviously Ageshero, And i have an extremely bad habbit of biting off way more than i could ever chew.

Go easy on me, dont use fancy words(cause you are smarter than to waste that kind of time on me, haha.) No crazy lingo that anyone outside your hobby could ever understand, and if you going to use it, tell me what it means.(Also, there's a whole load of elitist jerks that keep pointing out some how, no matter how i write, that my post is a wall of letters, Get the hell over it okay? Hahahaha.)

Okay, So here is the point, i want to make a 2D Action/Adventure/ RPG video game, Top down probably. I'm aware of engines like Gamemaker, but it seems a bit annoying... and i don't know if its what i want.
I have no Coding or programing experience, lets even assume that i don't even know what that is.

I'm sure there are plenty of problems to have to work through as i go on with the project that i want, It's probably going to be a pc only game, though getting it to work as a homebrew title for some random device would be absolutely wonderful.

I've pretty much got my head wrapped well around the aspects of Art, pixels, Animation, and im working on getting a fluid work flow and understanding music composition programs and sound effects for a classic feel, being a painter and general character artist etc, and also a musician, im ontop of that.

_

So what i need is some sources on what i should do to start learning how i would make a game. Or a really stretchy game engine that will let me do whatever i want ( Anything that is more flexible than RPGMAKERVX which is seems pretty limited and feels like i havent made my own game at all in any way. And might be the same if not easier than GAMEMAKER)

If i find that game maker is really what i want, what am i able and not able to do inside of this. I dont want "THIS GAME WAS MADE WITH GAMEMAKER" slapped on to some poorly designed and ugly loading screen. I figure theres probably a way to remove it.

So basically in the end im asking if there are any programs i should be aware that will help me make my game, but not take the development abilities away from me.

I want to be able to make cutscenes, and interesting title screens and things. If anyone has some help of any kind, please throw it at me.

Earthbound is the best example, a game pretty similar to the style and function of what i want.
(info like, how on earth did they make things Flash, move, animate, The crazy little background motion effects)

-

Another little bit of info, If gamemaker is my option, I want to make it look like game maker was never even there. I dont want framerate Defying smooth motions that destract entirely from the pixelly style of the game either.
-

Hope this wasnt to confusing, any help is appreciated ( im not a rocket scientist, speak english please.)
Advertisement
Hello Ageshero,

I think you have three options:

1. Learn coding (= creating computer applications and games by writing specific english words that a computer understands into a specific application called an IDE), start learning programming stuff like functions, cycles, conditions and so on. This will take a lot of time and will not allow you to make an RPG or adventure soon.

2. Use, as you said, some kind of RPG Maker. This will not allow you much customization and it will look like all other games created in the same Maker. It will also probably cost you some money.

3. Use Gamemaker or gemtree.com Peter or other similar tools. I recommend Gamemaker. The loading screen and other typical for Game Maker stuff can be removed by purchasing the full version of Gamemaker. You have to realize, though, that if you want your game to be different from other Game Maker or RPG Maker-made games, you must get some coding or programming experience. In my opinion, Gamemaker allows you to do absolutely anything you could do in normal programming languages. But to use these advanced features, you will need to learn to use it.

I hope this helps.
Hi,

To be honest, it already sounds like you are biting off more than you can chew!

I remember when I first started wanting to make a game, oh the ideas and features I had planned, but once getting into actually making the game, I realized why the no one had made such a game before... it was too hard/not practical... etc.

I think you should reevaluate just exactly what you want, whether it be just making a game this one time and never to do something like it again:
- find a coder and pitch your game idea to him/her (read game design book beforehand maybe..)
- use game maker or something similar (as for your wish for making it seem like you didn't use game maker... once you start, you may realize just what qualities in a game will reveal its game-maker-esque nature and find a way to conceal it maybe or perhaps you will realize that it's not important at all...)

Use making a game as a learning experience for game development in the future:
- learn coding (it will a long time between starting to learn coding and making a game with lots of frustration in between- not a decision to make lightly)

yeah,
bye
Thank you for the help, it does help a little.

I would probably like to use GameMaker in the end, it might suit my needs, But how much about programming and the like, do i really need to know to be making a game of the same caliber as classic RPG epics, Whether it's Secret of mana, Final Fantasy, Chrono trigger or Earthbound.

Thank you for the help, it does help a little.

I would probably like to use GameMaker in the end, it might suit my needs, But how much about programming and the like, do i really need to know to be making a game of the same caliber as classic RPG epics, Whether it's Secret of mana, Final Fantasy, Chrono trigger or Earthbound.

Well from your first post you are totally selling yourself short already. Your implying that you are basically dumb and are incapable of learning anything relatively difficult, which Im sure is not true. Saying things like "you are smarter than to waste that kind of time on me, haha." is probably not the best way to seem ambitious. I think that you would get some better replies from the "elite" people if you sounded a bit more ambitious and willing to learn some new skills :)

Anyways, If you have no interest in becoming a programmer, but just want to be a designer (which is what it sounds like), you should probably find some friends who can program. Honestly, even the game designers usually know programming, because it makes it easier to realize whether or not your visions are reasonable in code given the manpower you have. Basically, with NO coding at all, your choices are limited to the tools such as Game Maker... Ive never used those sort of things, but from what I heard you can make some decent games, but even with that you need to use the GML
(Game Maker Language... I think thats what it stands for :) ) if you want to go deeper. In the end it depends on your goals and what you want to get out of it. If you dont want to be a programmer at all, what you can do on your own will be pretty limited because you will be forced to use tools that do not allow much room for flexibility.
Never, ever stop learning.
- Me
I am going to throw my two cents in, You may or may not be biting off more then you can chew but who cares. If this your dream and you want it bad enough you just have to apply yourself it may take a long time and you may get pissed off or frustrated but no dream ever comes true with out a lot of effort. As for things you would need to know programming wise to make an rpg well quite a bit but there are ways to soften that blow. For instance C# XNA has a RPG starter kit its just a bit of a framework but if you pick up a C# book from the library or wherever and read it you can at least start. Also there are lots of game engines out there doing a TILE TO TILE movement system really is not that hard. Things like the Chrono trigger combat system that's a bit of a different story.

In an honest opp-ion if you do not want to code get a lot of graphics together get a very good design doc done and post an add on the help wanted forum remember to use the template some younger programmers who may not care if there is money in it may come around providing you have everything nicely laid out and easy to see what you want.

You seem like you want to really do this, So start small break a problem down and see the options if you mess up big whoop just got to start over.

Keep at it, and don't leave your self that short.

Regards XainFaith

Also, bear in mind there is a great deal more talent involved in a game being considered of that "calibre" than merely programming. These days, actually programming is probably a lot less significant than:

• Modelling
  • Animation
  • Story writing and scripting
  • Voice talent
  • Sales and marketing

The list goes on. All of these factors contribute to a modern game being considered of a certain "calibre". Programming is a minor part, especially since a great deal of modern titles will use existing engines.

If you can manage all of the above yourself, good luck to you, but reality is most of these things cost money unfortunately.

Indie developers are successful these days by innovation, not imitation.

[quote name='ageshero' timestamp='1308755297' post='4826460']

Also, bear in mind there is a great deal more talent involved in a game being considered of that "calibre" than merely programming. These days, actually programming is probably a lot less significant than:

• Modelling
  • Animation
  • Story writing and scripting
  • Voice talent
  • Sales and marketing

The list goes on. All of these factors contribute to a modern game being considered of a certain "calibre". Programming is a minor part, especially since a great deal of modern titles will use existing engines.

If you can manage all of the above yourself, good luck to you, but reality is most of these things cost money unfortunately.

Indie developers are successful these days by innovation, not imitation.
[/quote]

Thats a great point. From what I can tell, most of the really ground breaking indie games are not the ones that had goals of using existing technology and making a "high caliber" game. The ones that really got huge were ones that added gameplay innovation that had never been done before, or gameplay that had not been done WELL before. Look at Minecraft, Braid, Limbo, Cave Story, etc. none of these games attempted to imitate a previous game, sure they have some similar aspects.. but its impossible not to. What these games did was define new and exciting gameplay that noone really explored well before. Sure you can use an existing dev kit Game Maker, but you have to make sure that its limitations dont force you to simply recreate whats already been done. Some recent tools are really making it possible to have a lot of freedom (ie: Unity), but even though it simplifies a lot of the process, the idea, the art, the code, etc must be YOURS if you want to create anything new and exciting. Sure you can go and pump out an FPS with Unreal Engine, but how much different will it be than all of the others?? Unless you really dig deep, probably not very much.
Never, ever stop learning.
- Me
Personally, i am more of an Art director and designer. Its just i dont always have people at my beck and call to get working on the things. I cant rely on people very easilly, most people will get bored and either quit, or put it off for a really long while.

Either way, im The writer and Artist for the production of course, And i only used the listed games as an example to demonstrate the kind of of style of play i was looking for. I have alot of ideas for innovative gameplay, but that is way way to complex and into the thick of the whole thing to think about just yet.

It's extremely important that both gameplay, and story, and highly engaging, and i dont see alot of epic rpg single player addictive indy games out there. That it's self is an engaging thought. im out there to make classics, and i have big dreams. And by no means do i think im incapable of producing this kind of a thing, ive observed and loved classics all my life, and have always wanted to make one that could be consider as such as well. in the same spiritual success of the greats. Heck i would even consider 3d models and what not for a FF7 style game, even attempt to get the same charmingly awful graphics. But currently i want to start small, and simple with some base projects, the bigger one being the rpg Epic.

some philosophy and form of thinking within the realm of programming and coding would be really useful... I have concepts and ideas and all the things i need probably. but is codeing in itself creative enough for someone to handle that and i handle the other things? Obviously i could use a good assistant programer. But its not really out of selfishness that i do it myself, rather the fact i need the experience and the skill, to work for myself and help my assistant if i had one with the problems that come up.
Here's a good question, Can i pump out a pixel based non 3d, and totally flat RPG adventure within the confines of the unreal Engine? Another thing is, i couldn't sell it either. if i used UDK.

but imagine pushing UDK to do something like that. interesting.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement