I Want To Make Games!

Started by
15 comments, last by Rune Sage 12 years, 10 months ago
I have decided a while back I want to make an MORPG (Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game) not Massive... I don't plan on it getting huge or for me to make any profit off of it. I am not going to use a game engine I want to learn everything myself like AI, pathfinding, graphics, networking. I know I am getting myself into ALOT of work but I am still young and got plenty of years to learn all this stuff. I am in the process of learning C++ and soon will start learning how to create graphics using 3Ds Max. Anyway I want to know what I should start learning and programs that I maybe can use (NO GAME ENGINES) I want to start from scratch... I have been looking up alot of stuff that has to do with making games and my plan so far is this:

1) Learn a programming language (C++)
2) Learn how to use OpenGL and program with it.
3) Create some starting graphics using 3Ds Max
3) Logging in/Account saving and updating and moving around.
4) Networking

Last thing I would like this game to be a mix of Runescape and WoW like Runescape controls (walking around camera rotation) but have wow cool feature like mounts and dungeons.. =] anyone willing to help me or give me tips would be much appreciated I am a beginner so give me a break if it sounds like im stupid LOL =/
Advertisement

I have decided a while back I want to make an MORPG (Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game) not Massive... I don't plan on it getting huge or for me to make any profit off of it. I am not going to use a game engine I want to learn everything myself like AI, pathfinding, graphics, networking. I know I am getting myself into ALOT of work but I am still young and got plenty of years to learn all this stuff. I am in the process of learning C++ and soon will start learning how to create graphics using 3Ds Max. Anyway I want to know what I should start learning and programs that I maybe can use (NO GAME ENGINES) I want to start from scratch... I have been looking up alot of stuff that has to do with making games and my plan so far is this:

1) Learn a programming language (C++)
2) Learn how to use OpenGL and program with it.
3) Create some starting graphics using 3Ds Max
3) Logging in/Account saving and updating and moving around.
4) Networking

Last thing I would like this game to be a mix of Runescape and WoW like Runescape controls (walking around camera rotation) but have wow cool feature like mounts and dungeons.. =] anyone willing to help me or give me tips would be much appreciated I am a beginner so give me a break if it sounds like im stupid LOL =/

First question, is C++ your first programming language? If it is, I would consider going with something else. It is going to take quite a while before you can grasp C++ at the level necessary to make games and use openGL.

theres nothing wrong with wanting to learn to do all of the lower level stuff, I would just do it in a friendlier language. Some ideas would be C#, Python, Java, etc. If you MUST use C++, then you will want to try learning SFML instead of raw openGL. SFML is a layer over openGL that will help you move quicker. I cant give you much other C++ advice, if you decide to try another language though, I have a bunch of suggestions.

Also, you should put that game idea on the back burner for now. You need to make a bunch of smaller games before even attempting something of that scale. My advice would be... learn to program in your language (really learn it, make console apps and other things). Then learn a good game or graphics library, after that you should make some simple games such as pong, tetris, etc. Trust me, those simple games will frustrate you enough to begin with :)
Never, ever stop learning.
- Me
Just read a lot about how something related to programming works, for example how openGL internally handles all your drawable stuff.
Also if you dont want to use an engine, use one wich offers you a basic framework, but build your own framework on top of it, and then replace the engine functionality until you dont use it anymore. That way you can play with it before you have coded every single thing you need :3

o3o

With what you want to do, by the time you ever get it even half finished you'll probably have lost interesst in n the idea and thought up loads of other ideas to work on instead. You say no game engines, thats fine but I would definately advise using some engines (graphics engine, physics, networking). It's still a really big task to get it all working together, all the AI you will still write yourself. As Waterlimon said, you can design it in such a way that you can later replace all those engines you used with your own stuff (if you want to at that point).

Your really giving yourself a massive task, particulally if your doing all of this alone. Thats not to say you shouldn't go for it but decide what your goals are, making this great idea for a game of yours or learning the ins and outs of making a all the low level parts of a game and not having much to show for it at the end. I've spent years working on my project, I've learned so much and I'm really proud of it and how clever it is and so on. When I show anyone though, its just "Is that it?". You'll have very little to actually show for all the hard work you put in.

For those reasons I suggest the middle ground (pre-existing libraries for graphics, physics, etc).

Interested in Fractals? Check out my App, Fractal Scout, free on the Google Play store.

Thank you guys I understand what your getting at I probably am going to start off making easy games such as pong or tetris and I wanted to make like a 3d Chess game or a small RTS. Now I think i might use some "pre-existing libraries" for the the physics and such like Nanoha said. I realize I am getting my self into a lot of hard work and frustration but I think I will learn lot along the way and it will benefit me lot.

Thanks for all the suggestions! =]

@joeparrilla

I understand that C++ may be hard language to learn but I have already started and I feel like I am pretty well into it so I don't necessarily feel like dropping it to learn an easier language if you know what I mean... I will look into SMFL and see if I like it

Thank you guys I understand what your getting at I probably am going to start off making easy games such as pong or tetris and I wanted to make like a 3d Chess game or a small RTS. Now I think i might use some "pre-existing libraries" for the the physics and such like Nanoha said. I realize I am getting my self into a lot of hard work and frustration but I think I will learn lot along the way and it will benefit me lot.

Thanks for all the suggestions! =]

@joeparrilla

I understand that C++ may be hard language to learn but I have already started and I feel like I am pretty well into it so I don't necessarily feel like dropping it to learn an easier language if you know what I mean... I will look into SMFL and see if I like it

You are right, you will learn a lot. I think you are making a good decision from a learning standpoint. I just warn you not to get frustrated when youre not churning out games at a fast rate.. There will be A LOT of frustration. Starting with pong is a perfect idea, and the fact that you didnt say you want to make an MMORPG as your first game shows that you have common sense :)

If you want to stick with C++ thats fine, definitely look into SFML as opposed to raw openGL. openGL doesnt handle windows or anything like that for you which forces you to use something like GLUT in addition. SFML is a nice library, its basically like SDL, just better in my opinion.
- Me

You know that 'learning C++' sufficiently to make something that vaguely plays kinda sorta something like wow is probably 3+ years (just C++, not opengl, not 3d max, not networking, just C++) right? You're not pretty well into it. Certainly not far enough to make up for the year or two you'll save going with... pretty much any other language.

[quote name='Rune Sage' timestamp='1308871303' post='4827049']

You know that 'learning C++' sufficiently to make something that vaguely plays kinda sorta something like wow is probably 3+ years (just C++, not opengl, not 3d max, not networking, just C++) right? You're not pretty well into it. Certainly not far enough to make up for the year or two you'll save going with... pretty much any other language.
[/quote]

I think I want to take back what I said and agree with this. C++ is one hell of a beast. I think you should take a stab at c#, java or python. You can always learn c++ later if you want. Programming concepts are just easier.to grasp in a more elegant language.
- Me
Fine lol you guys win im going to learn python as I have heard it is a very easy language to learn than move to c# than possibly c++ if i think im ready by than. Of course I will have made a few games by than. Thanks for the help.
well python is good to learn first if you think c++ is good because it has realitivily same syntax thus it will make c++ easier but yes c++ is compilcated thats why i picked python to learn first and if you need help with python a good place to look is on MIT open course wear (thats where i go when im bored ) it has video taped lectures each being about 52 min long the class is called intro to computere sceince and programming

p.s. they all so have C++ and java classes

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement