Noob question

Started by
9 comments, last by JosephParrilla 12 years, 9 months ago
Hello I want to develop games,I have a small experience with c programming language after this I started to use Unity 3d.It's a very nice engine,I've created some demos on it.But I'm a 15 years old high school student.I don't have a job but I want get one in further.So I was thinking Is better for me,for my further curriculum continue using Unity3d,I don't have money to buy a mobile version so seems that I can use the engine only for hobby(Will be very hard for me sell copies of a pc amateur game),or start to learn xna(and c# as consequence) or opengl(and c++) and develop a simple game engine?I really want to get a job in the game industry(in some years).
If you think for me is better develop an engine,what's better to get experience xna or opengl?
And about jobs,I'm Brazilian so what need I do to get a job in gamedev outside Brazil?(In addition to improve my English skills,of course)
What are the countries that will accept me(a foreign),what countries are needing game developers?
Will need I have Master Degree or greater to work outside Brazil?Or a computer science college degree can be sufficient to work as programmer?
I think that my question are stupid but i needed to ask this someone...

Thanks for the attention

ps.:Sorry for my bad English
"Call me crazy in a world where genius create bombs" .: -=|J.Ð.|Gä(/)ëÐ맡gÑ||=- :.
Advertisement

Hello I want to develop games,I have a small experience with c programming language after this I started to use Unity 3d.It's a very nice engine,I've created some demos on it.But I'm a 15 years old high school student.I don't have a job but I want get one in further.So I was thinking Is better for me,for my further curriculum continue using Unity3d,I don't have money to buy a mobile version so seems that I can use the engine only for hobby(Will be very hard for me sell copies of a pc amateur game),or start to learn xna(and c# as consequence) or opengl(and c++) and develop a simple game engine?I really want to get a job in the game industry(in some years).
If you think for me is better develop an engine,what's better to get experience xna or opengl?
And about jobs,I'm Brazilian so what need I do to get a job in gamedev outside Brazil?(In addition to improve my English skills,of course)
What are the countries that will accept me(a foreign),what countries are needing game developers?
Will need I have Master Degree or greater to work outside Brazil?Or a computer science college degree can be sufficient to work as programmer?
I think that my question are stupid but i needed to ask this someone...

Thanks for the attention

ps.:Sorry for my bad English

a "Better" degree improves your chances but a 3-4 year college degree should be sufficient to get you past the initial screening. (after that things other than your degree start to weigh in quite alot aswell)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
to get into the u.s. you need to be screened

if i remember correctly

they check criminal record they check basic english understanding (if you want a long term vista)
and they probaly do blood test for dieses umm

but as for the degree umm i believe you should maybe havea 4 degree or maybe apply for a student vista to go to an US college(allthough its pretty hard to

hope this helps
but remember if you want to get a student vista do good in school (unlike me ) and about your english (half the people in my shcool have worst english writing than you
and i go to a high school in the U.S.A ) only touch up on your grammar
. im also 15 years old :)

as for programming start small you have a while to learn and should not rush you said you know c work on that and DO GOOD IN SCHOOL!!!!
Thanks to the replies guys:D
and dont worry about your english (half the people in my shcool have worst english writing than you [/quote]
Hahahaha I'll show this to my English teacher(she hates me) will be nice troll her...
"Call me crazy in a world where genius create bombs" .: -=|J.Ð.|Gä(/)ëÐ맡gÑ||=- :.
or start to learn xna(and c# as consequence) or opengl(and c++) and develop a simple game engine?I really want to get a job in the game industry(in some years).
[/quote]

The general rule is to make games, not engines. You will feel better and more confident if you are working towards a single goal.
-A1P4A 0M3GA
Lead script writer on Scutum [http://www.gamedev.n...-entertainment/]
Team Member of [size=2]Forcas Entertainment
Amateur programmer with C++ and SDL knowledge
Game Enthusiast

The general rule is to make games, not engines. You will feel better and more confident if you are working towards a single goal.

Sorry, but I don't think so.

Especially for someone who want's to get into the industry (just like the TO) I think it's best to do at least a bit of engine programming (What you'll do anyway if you start to program a game).

Of course, writing an engine shouldn't be your first project...

You should start with something like a pong clone or tetris clone.
Once you're done with that you should have a basic knowledge of what it takes to
create your game (or game engine).

Edit:
Guys please...PLEASE stop naming your threads "noob question" or "Just a stupid question from a noob" that just won't help us and will make you look like, well, a noob. ;)

Visit my blog, follow me on twitter or check out my bitbucket repositories.

Edit:
Guys please...PLEASE stop naming your threads "noob question" or "Just a stupid question from a noob" that just won't help us and will make you look like, well, a noob. ;)

Seconded.

-A1P4A 0M3GA
Game Enthusiast
what need I do to get a job in gamedev outside Brazil?(In addition to improve my English skills,of course)

Read FAQ 72 (I just wrote it yesterday): http://www.sloperama.com/advice/m72.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

[quote name='A1P4A_0M3GA' timestamp='1309167787' post='4828168']The general rule is to make games, not engines.
Especially for someone who want's to get into the industry (just like the TO) I think it's best to do at least a bit of engine programming (What you'll do anyway if you start to program a game).[/quote]The bold part above is the important bit. In the process of making a game, the'll be "engine" work to do. Hence just make a game, not an engine (and you'll always at least get an ad-hoc engine in the process).

If you've never worked on an engine before, then your first home-made "engine" is going to suck. If you're going to send a sucky home-made engine as part of an application for an industry job, you may as well just write "herp, derp! I don't know what an engine is!", because that's the impression that will come across.

If you make some games on someone else's engine before trying to make your own, then your own one will suck considerably less.

Also, when (if) you do try and make your own engine, don't just make a general-purpose game engine for the sake of it -- make an engine that's designed for (at least) one specific game, and make the game at the same time.

An engine without a paired game is a task without a goal -- you can never be finished. It's also a task without requirements, restrictions or constraints, which means it's just ivory tower playtime, not real work.

An engine isn't just a code library either, it's the platform that supports everyone -- low-level system programmers, game-play programmers, technical artists, animators, modellers, audio engineers, etc... In order to make a half-decent engine, you've got to understand the desired work-flows of all of these people and design a pipeline for how they can turn their effort into game content. Without having made a game, you couldn't hope to have the experience required, and any engine made without those experiences will be so constrained in perspective as to be seen as just a toy.

The best workflow for all of the above people will be very different depending on the game being produced, and thus in order to assess the requirements that these people have of the engine, you first have to know what game you're actually going to be using the engine to build.

Make (engines for) games, not engines (for engines sake).

End rant.

[quote name='FelixK15' timestamp='1309168278' post='4828169'][quote name='A1P4A_0M3GA' timestamp='1309167787' post='4828168']The general rule is to make games, not engines.
Especially for someone who want's to get into the industry (just like the TO) I think it's best to do at least a bit of engine programming (What you'll do anyway if you start to program a game).[/quote]The bold part above is the important bit. In the process of making a game, the'll be "engine" work to do. Hence just make a game, not an engine (and you'll always at least get an ad-hoc engine in the process).

If you've never worked on an engine before, then your first home-made "engine" is going to suck. If you're going to send a sucky home-made engine as part of an application for an industry job, you may as well just write "herp, derp! I don't know what an engine is!", because that's the impression that will come across.

If you make some games on someone else's engine before trying to make your own, then your own one will suck considerably less.

Also, when (if) you do try and make your own engine, don't just make a general-purpose game engine for the sake of it -- make an engine that's designed for (at least) one specific game, and make the game at the same time.

An engine without a paired game is a task without a goal -- you can never be finished. It's also a task without requirements, restrictions or constraints, which means it's just ivory tower playtime, not real work.

An engine isn't just a code library either, it's the platform that supports everyone -- low-level system programmers, game-play programmers, technical artists, animators, modellers, audio engineers, etc... In order to make a half-decent engine, you've got to understand the desired work-flows of all of these people and design a pipeline for how they can turn their effort into game content. Without having made a game, you couldn't hope to have the experience required, and any engine made without those experiences will be so constrained in perspective as to be seen as just a toy.

The best workflow for all of the above people will be very different depending on the game being produced, and thus in order to assess the requirements that these people have of the engine, you first have to know what game you're actually going to be using the engine to build.

Make (engines for) games, not engines (for engines sake).

End rant.
[/quote]

Thanks for expanding brilliantly upon my one-line post. :D Agreed and thumbs-up-d.
-A1P4A 0M3GA
Game Enthusiast

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement