Is this a good idea?

Started by
24 comments, last by way2lazy2care 12 years, 9 months ago
I didn't say they offered it, i said you should speak to them about freeing up time in your schedule so that you have time to take it in your free time.
I also said that this would compress your college course and make it possibly more difficult, so ...here be dragons :-)
Advertisement

I didn't say they offered it, i said you should speak to them about freeing up time in your schedule so that you have time to take it in your free time.
I also said that this would compress your college course and make it possibly more difficult, so ...here be dragons :-)

Can't take the CLEP tests unless I transfer...
Sorry if I missed it, but studying for SAT isn't too hard. How about you stay in school and keep your job( possibly cut down the hours ) . And now you have this extra time, plus all the time you had for programming, and so use that time to study? If you can spare about 2-3 hours per day, and study every day. So that 14-21 hours a week. A semester is about 14 weeks, so now you would have studies, 196 - 294 hours. I think for SAT thats more than enough. All you have to do is have a high degree of discipline. So instead of dropping out, just sacrifice 2-3 hours a day for the semester and study for the SAT then. Unless your having financial issues where you absolutely can't afford the school( but then there is scholarship) or you have heath issues, there is no reason to drop out of school. In fact, since you are home school, I'm going to guess that you aren't very social. And as said previously, there is more being a good programmer than just programming, there is the social aspect. And you will get that social aspect through life experience, especially during your college years( I know I did and still gaining ). If you disregard the advice given to you, and just do what you want, make sure you really think about all the consequences. Your action produces consequences.
Edge cases will show your design flaws in your code!
Visit my site
Visit my FaceBook
Visit my github

[quote name='way2lazy2care' timestamp='1309293497' post='4828819']
Are you sure you need to take an SAT/ACT? If you are in a tech college it seems like your credentials there should be able to get you into a state school.

Indeed, transfer students and other "non traditional" students, those not coming from high school at age 18/19/20, are generally given much less strict entry requirements.

Transferring from an existing college they will look at your current school transcript, not SAT/ACT scores.
[/quote]

This isn't universally true. Transferring to top schools is generally harder than getting admitted as a freshman. Stanford and Yale, for instance, generally have acceptance rates of 1-2% for transfer students while their freshmen admissions rates are many times higher.

But I don't think the OP is trying to transfer to such a school, so what you wrote may apply to the OP's situation.

As for SAT prep, if you're already in college it doesn't seem like the SAT should be terribly hard. It only tests high school level material and doesn't even include a science section.

[quote name='way2lazy2care' timestamp='1309293497' post='4828819']
Are you sure you need to take an SAT/ACT? If you are in a tech college it seems like your credentials there should be able to get you into a state school.

Indeed, transfer students and other "non traditional" students, those not coming from high school at age 18/19/20, are generally given much less strict entry requirements.

Transferring from an existing college they will look at your current school transcript, not SAT/ACT scores.
[/quote]

This isn't universally true. Transferring to top schools is generally harder than getting admitted as a freshmen. Stanford and Yale, for instance, generally have acceptance rates of 1-2% for transfer students while their freshmen admissions rates are many times higher.

But I don't think the OP is trying to transfer to such a school, so what you wrote may apply to the OP's situation.

Btw, my advice is that if you're going to the trouble of transferring schools, then you might as well aim high and try to get into a good school. At least send out a few applications. Going to a better school will never hurt you and will probably help you.

This isn't universally true. Transferring to top schools is generally harder than getting admitted as a freshmen. Stanford and Yale, for instance, generally have acceptance rates of 1-2% for transfer students while their freshmen admissions rates are many times higher.

Btw, my advice is that if you're going to the trouble of transferring schools, then you might as well aim high and try to get into a good school. At least send out a few applications. Going to a better school will never hurt you and will probably help you.

I guess I never looked into the requirements, but transferring to a state school as an in state resident shouldn't be that difficult if you are doing well in your current institution.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement