Best language and other technologies for game development?

Started by
4 comments, last by blewisjr 12 years, 9 months ago
Hey guys,

so I was thinking what is best language and so for game development? I was programming some simple games in Java, but I've always felt like there must be better or easier way to do them. Don't get me wrong, programming in Java is easy, but I think there arent enough libraries to do some advanced stuff, especially game development related. Any ideas?
Advertisement
The best language for game development is the one you know the best and are most comfortable using. Same as everything else, really.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

Plenty of games are written in Java, including everything on Android platforms, for instance.

Do you have a specific area that you're having trouble finding libraries for? I'm sure someone can point you to some great stuff if you have some particular thing you want to accomplish.

Other than that... what mhagain said.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Plenty of games are written in Java, including everything on Android platforms, for instance.

I'd like to point out that this is incorrect. Android exposes the NDK (native code toolset) that allows you to write code in C/C++. With an interpreter targeting the NDK, games are commonly written for Android using all sorts of scripted languages, included C#, Javascript, Boo, Unrealscript, etc.
Fair enough - although there do still exist Java games.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Java is perfectly fine and quite adaquate. As is any language that you are fluent and experienced with. If it is power and flexibility you feel you are lacking from Java that is false. Just look at these to sets of API. Both are very powerful even tho technically there is a lot of C++ behind them which is glued with JNI it really does not matter it gets the job done.

JMonkey Engine
LWJGL
Slick2D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement