Books about game design

Started by
14 comments, last by Orymus 12 years, 9 months ago
Playing games and learning on your own "what makes a good game" design wise is a fun experience. But I think that without proper tutoring, it is hard to notice some tricks the designers use -- such as the basic one of making us talk about a game in a certain way, f.e. not "my avatar hit it with an axe" but "I hit it with my axe".

Since there are no game design courses available to me (at least in the city/country I live in), I would like to ask -- what books do you guys read that tackle the design problem? Any suggestions for online courses?

I've read the "ultimate collection of links" thread, but IMO it didn't have that feel of "to make the player interested, consider using feature X in genre Y". I've read reviews of books and had a sneak peak at the first few pages, but the price tags just plainly restrain me from having all of them, and I would not want to try reading a mammoth that will bring no insight into game design, or be too complex for a mortal to understand.

Any advice is very welcome.
Disclaimer: Each my post is intended as an attempt of helping and/or brining some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone, unless stated otherwise

Homepage (Under Construction)

Check my profile for funny D&D/WH FRP quotes :)
Advertisement
Personally I feel having a guidebook like that which gives you hints and tips for genres is a bad way to go. I'm a believer in designer intuition when it comes to that sort of thing. It's all very well saying "I want to make a third person shooter", but then you might get halfway into development and then read a book that says "Cover shooting is popular in this genre". So you implement cover...only it makes your game worse, because the rest of your TPS game is fast paced skill shooting, and a cover system just makes that less fun to play around with.

I personally am reading (and have had recommended to me numerous times): Game Design Theory and Practice by Richard Rouse. http://www.amazon.com/Game-Design-Theory-Practice-CD-ROM/dp/1556227353

Helps get you in the right mindset and runs through good form for documentation, formulating game mechanics, balancing, playtesting, and so on. It also gives you a decent look into the development process and reads quite well.

1. such as the basic one of making us talk about a game in a certain way, f.e. not "my avatar hit it with an axe" but "I hit it with my axe".
2. what books do you guys read that tackle the design problem? ... the price tags just plainly restrain me from having all of them

1. Both of those are wrong. "When attacked by the monster in the broom closet, the player might choose to run away, to block the monster's attacks, or to hit the monster with an axe. To run away, the player uses the left stick. To block, the player uses the triangle button. To attack, the player uses the X button. Pressing the X button causes the player's avatar to..." You don't use "I" or "my" at all.
2. Don't read all of them, then. Buy ONE, based on whatever decision method you use to decide between them, then save money, and buy a second one. I have a list of great game design books on my website (and I also have design tips there). See sig for my site. List of books is FAQ 8. Design tips in FAQs 13 and 2. How to make a decision between multiple books is FAQ 70.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

In the short amount of time I was in school, my game design classes used a series called "Game Development Essentials".

http://www.amazon.com/Jeannie-Novak/e/B000APLKMC/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

1. Both of those are wrong. "When attacked by the monster in the broom closet, the player might choose to run away, to block the monster's attacks, or to hit the monster with an axe. To run away, the player uses the left stick. To block, the player uses the triangle button. To attack, the player uses the X button. Pressing the X button causes the player's avatar to..." You don't use "I" or "my" at all.

Thanks for the advice guys. Still, I wan't clear on this sentence :P What I meant was -- we, as players, not designers. A player uses I, We, They, not their avatars, his character etc.This is the kind of thing I aim for as a designer -- that is the goal. To allow players to envelop themselves in the game...

I will deffinetly read the FAQ
Disclaimer: Each my post is intended as an attempt of helping and/or brining some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone, unless stated otherwise

1. What I meant was --
2. we, as players, not designers. A player uses I, We, They, not their avatars, his character etc.

1. You should always say what you mean (in other words: try harder to perfect your written communication; it's a vital skill for game designers).
2. It's still wrong. Neither "my avatar hit it with an axe" nor "I hit it with my axe" is appropriate. "I pressed X to cause my avatar to hit it with an axe" is better. "I" am "the player;" the avatar is "my player character." A game designer needs to distinguish between the player and the player's avatar.

I don't have any suggestions for additional books to pick up, but The Designer's Notebook columns and many of the articles at Lost Garden are well worthy of your time to read.

- Jason Astle-Adams

2. It's still wrong. Neither "my avatar hit it with an axe" nor "I hit it with my axe" is appropriate. "I pressed X to cause my avatar to hit it with an axe" is better. "I" am "the player;" the avatar is "my player character." A game designer needs to distinguish between the player and the player's avatar.

I have no idea are you being serious or not xD I know a DESIGNER has to distinguish the two. But a PLAYER does not. He identifies himself with the avatar. That is the designer's goal -- to allow the merge. I do not know how to lay it out more simply than this :)

Okay, will read them, thanks jbadams!

What Games Are is brilliant. The writer will be making a book in the near future.
I know a DESIGNER has to distinguish the two. But a PLAYER does not.

Yeah, but this forum is for designers. And none of us cares how players talk or write. And players don't want us telling them how to talk or write.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement