Wanting to Learn 3D Modeling

Started by
2 comments, last by Ben Apuna 12 years, 9 months ago
Hey I am new here as you can see and I'm a 17 year old starting fresh in the game development department. I have a few game design books which I had for a few years and they come with CD programs snd I've learn quite a bit. My interest is in the 2D and 3D art, as I am used to drawing on printing paper. I want to take the next step into doing art on the computer and to soon be able to learn how to make 3D models. As much drawings as I make, I want to be able to do something with them. Video games has always been my interest and i have wrote story's to go with my games, but I need some direction on how to get started and some advice in development.
Advertisement

Hey I am new here as you can see and I'm a 17 year old starting fresh in the game development department. I have a few game design books which I had for a few years and they come with CD programs snd I've learn quite a bit. My interest is in the 2D and 3D art, as I am used to drawing on printing paper. I want to take the next step into doing art on the computer and to soon be able to learn how to make 3D models. As much drawings as I make, I want to be able to do something with them. Video games has always been my interest and i have wrote story's to go with my games, but I need some direction on how to get started and some advice in development.

I've already pretty much covered this in a blog post. Click here for a list of 3D applications which includes links to all the various demo versions available. Plus there is a paragraph on each with my opinion, which you can ignore completely if you want. :D

Next up, it all comes down to how legally you want to do things. If you don't want to spend money, Blender/Wings is a very powerful *FREE* combination. Another freeby to play around with isSculptris which is a free mini version of the very extremely cool zBrush.

Now, if you don't give a damn about legality and want to use the tool most used in the industry, it's 3D Studio Max followed by Maya, in regards to popularity.In the link above, there is a download option for almost all of the most popular programs.

When it comes to 2D art, the standards simply put is Photoshop when it comes to professionals. Adobe have a 30 ( or 45? ) day download available. As for natural media ( aka, digital painting ), there is Corel Painter X ( and they also make Corel Draw and Paintshop Pro ). On the free front, there are GIMP, Paint.Net and Inkscape ( Vector graphics ).
Thanks for the help! ^^
If you're a student there are free educational licenses available for most of the Autodesk apps including Max and Maya.

Voidworld is another good free alternative as well. Check the posts near the end of that thread for bleeding edge versions, as it's currently under very active development.

If you really want to reach a professional standard with 3D art for games you should head over the the Polycount forum to post your work for critique.

The Polycount wiki is a good place to find tutorials and to start learning some of the technical aspects of creating art for games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement