Can I learn Discrete Mathematics if I've forgotten most of the math I've learned in college and high school?

Started by
1 comment, last by ClaudeFleming 12 years, 9 months ago
I have bought the classic book, Introduction to Algorithms, but I don't understand much of the math in the appendices even though I've taken a few calculus courses and pre-calculus also. I have bought two introductory discrete mathematics books-- one by Knuth and others, and another one that's a hefty 900-page book with plenty of worked examples, and also a book of 2000 discrete mathematics problems that have been solved. Do you think I could eventually understand the material, even if I'm not being taught by a college professor? I have forgotten almost all my math problem-solving techniques. Do those books explain them to you again, or are you expected to be a math whiz?
Advertisement

I have bought the classic book, Introduction to Algorithms, but I don't understand much of the math in the appendices even though I've taken a few calculus courses and pre-calculus also. I have bought two introductory discrete mathematics books-- one by Knuth and others, and another one that's a hefty 900-page book with plenty of worked examples, and also a book of 2000 discrete mathematics problems that have been solved. Do you think I could eventually understand the material, even if I'm not being taught by a college professor? I have forgotten almost all my math problem-solving techniques. Do those books explain them to you again, or are you expected to be a math whiz?

I just finished CS275 (discrete math) with the book Discrete Math 5th edition by Kenneth Ross and Charles R. B. Wright. Didn't really need much math. It is called the counting class at my school. Learned most of the symbols and last two weeks were on Euler's Path and Kruskal's and a few other algorithms. Also simple statics such as (real homework question), "A sack contains 50 marbles for 4 different colors. Explain why there are at least 13 marbles of the same color." and permutations.

I got a B in the class, and it looked confusing as crap when I first got the book.

Not sure how far you are wanting to go with it, only did the first 6 chapters in the book. The book itself was okay, but didn't get rave reviews. Might need some higher math later, but I didnt get to that part. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Edit: I was taking Calc 1 at the same time (pre-req). Didn't really see the need for it. Only thing I saw the same between the two was Sigma math and that is taught much earlier in math. Didn't even touch the upper case Pi in Calc, but did in CS275
my blog contains ramblings and what I am up to programming wise.
Thank you so much!!! That makes me feel so much better! I was enthralled by the classic Intro to Algorithms book and can understand some of it, but when the authors started taking the limits of convergent and divergent series, I was lost. I'm sure I'll learn it though, because I did great in my computer science classes when I was in college. I just didn't focus and quit. Now I have all the time in the world to enjoy algorithms.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement