Any bitmap or outline font data available to load?

Started by
1 comment, last by floatingwoods 12 years, 9 months ago
Hello,

My problem is following: the application we are developing requires a port to other platforms, and in a very robust way. Until now (Windows platform) we generated 2 fonts at program start using the wglUseFontBitmaps or the wglUseFontOutlines. But since fonts are not that important in our application and will always keep the same look, I want to rigidly embedd those 2 fonts in the application. So:

- No more font generation at program start, just font loading

That is also the easiest/cleanest way for a port to other platforms. I know, it is not flexible, but we don't need the flexibility on the fonts.

To save the 2 fonts in a custom format, I first thought about retrieving the generated font in some way from the display lists, but that is apparently impossible. I had a look at the Mesa implementation of wglUseFontBitmaps and wglUseFontOutlines, but those functions are not implemented.

So I want to use a neutral library that only uses c/c++ commands with simple openGL functions (no wglUseFontOutlines or such). Is there such a library with a collection of fonts to chose from?

I had a look at GLX, GLC, GLUT, GLTT, WGL, GLF, Queso GLC and GLTT. But either they are not cross platform, either they rely on other libraries (FreeType), or do not always guarantee to find the fonts in the specified directory (linked to platform dependency). But in all cases, they generate the fonts, which I don't want anymore.

Thanks for any advice!
Advertisement
Steal FreeGLUT's bitmap definitions?
Thanks for the tip GenPFault! I'll still have the problem with outline fonts, but it's a start!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement