How do people stand Java?

Started by
49 comments, last by Washu 12 years, 9 months ago

What exactly is so much nicer in C# ?

Operator == for strings.
Delegates.
LINQ.
The tendency for libraries to be named based on what they DO, rather than meaningless names that are somehow related to a caffinated beverage.
Interoperability.
Advertisement
Java is dummy friendly. In big development teams, you usually end up with some of them. If you give them C++, you will need a squad to track and fix all the problems that come up. With Java, it's harder so you can get some productivity out of them. This may not be relevant for one-man projects, but it is for projects with a lifetime counted in decades.

As a bonus, compilation time is much shorter than a C++ equivalent project. When I modify a class somewhere, I don't need to recompile the whole application.
Developer for Novus Dawn : a [s]Flash[/s] Unity Isometric Tactical RPG - Forums - Facebook - DevLog

[quote name='Storyyeller' timestamp='1310097921' post='4832635']
I've done a little C# and Python programming, and they are much nicer to work with.

What exactly is so much nicer in C# ?

But Java is a commonly used language. So I feel I'm missing something. Perhaps due to my unfamiliarity with the language, I don't understand all the tricks and idioms that people use in Java to make programming easier. So the question is, how do people stand Java?

You miss considering the entire development environment, available frameworks, IDEs, etc.
The last time I looked into Visual Studio for instance, it felt like being years behind Eclipse, IntelliJ or Netbeans. The overall productivity is just much higher in Java.
Naturally, choosing the language AND environment that suits your tasks best is what professionals do. And for commercial business applications that is definitely not C++ with its ugly and error prone features (like operator overloading).
Java is far from being perfect, compare it to more modern languages, but C++ or its cloned sibling C# are for sure no ideal models to follow.
[/quote]

You sir, are insane. Having just finished working in Eclipse on an Android project, I will say that Visual Studio is not even in the same league as Eclipse, its hundreds of times better. The only place Eclipse ever had the edge was refactoring tools and now that is moot as well. Regardless to the language, Visual Studios is hands down the best IDE on the market by a country mile.
Also I cannot think of a single way that Java is superior to C#, although the opposite is not true. This makes sense though, as C# came later it got to learn from Java's mistakes, and it did.

You sir, are insane. Having just finished working in Eclipse on an Android project, I will say that Visual Studio is not even in the same league as Eclipse, its hundreds of times better. The only place Eclipse ever had the edge was refactoring tools and now that is moot as well. Regardless to the language, Visual Studios is hands down the best IDE on the market by a country mile.
Also I cannot think of a single way that Java is superior to C#, although the opposite is not true. This makes sense though, as C# came later it got to learn from Java's mistakes, and it did.

Eclipse's intellisense isn't as balls as VS imo. With visual assist I think VS is better, but then you are comparing like a $300+ product to a free product and it's still a lot closer than it should be.

On the language itself, Java's primary selling point is being cross platform friendly. If you ignore that because coding in it is different than another language you are doing it wrong. C# has a couple bonuses over Java, but they're so similar I'd hardly call it a landslide in either direction; though I do prefer C#.

Java's whole concept is around being simple and multi-platform. In that regard it succeeds. I would say operator overloading would be nice, but at the same time it makes it easy for developers to know exactly what every operator should do at any given time.

Had to take a college course on it, and hated every minute of it. I cant see how they thought some of the stuff was a good idea. The only satisfaction I get from java is bending its bad design to act like C++, confusing the professor constantly. Especially operator overloading, and not having [] for vectors/strings. Really?[/quote]
If you are doing this, your java code is probably horrible.

edit: bare in mind that I don't even like java that much. It's just that the reasons given for not liking it are doing exactly what you shouldn't be doing as a software engineer; trying to fit a round peg into a square hole. They teach java first in university because it's easier and safer than C++ for people just starting. It's used in enterprise software because it's cross platform and very friendly to rapid iterative development while still having great performance for enterprise software needs.

Programming languages are different and they shouldn't act the same, so don't expect them to act the same.

double edit: if you really want something to complain about program actionscript in the flash ide.

[quote name='Storyyeller' timestamp='1310097921' post='4832635']
I don't have much experience in Java (I've mostly done C++). However, whenever I try it, it seems very awkward to program in. A lot of common features like operator overloading and first class functions are missing, so it seems to require unnecessarily complicated constructs and boilerplate code to accomplish simple tasks. This isn't a necessary difference with high level languages either. I've done a little C# and Python programming, and they are much nicer to work with.

But Java is a commonly used language. So I feel I'm missing something. Perhaps due to my unfamiliarity with the language, I don't understand all the tricks and idioms that people use in Java to make programming easier. So the question is, how do people stand Java?

Java is commonly used for pretty much the same reasons as C++, momentum, prior to Microsofts release of .Net and C# there wasn't that many languages to choose from if you wanted a high level c-style language that was easy to work with.
[/quote]

This.

In ~1995 it was the best thing since sliced bread. Now there's a whole lot of it we need to maintain, and the tooling for it exists pretty much everywhere.
I think Java is pretty good... It's not perfect but the Java VM is wicked fast compared to others and there isn't much you can't do with it. I think the Java language's biggest problem is that it stopped evolving. After it got generics support (which it only did because C# 2 had it and people began to see how great type safety really is), not much has changed while C# has since gotten LINQ, dynamic type support, co/contravariance in generics, etc.
I have a strong background in C and I don't hate Java. It was created with specific design goals and, to a large extent, meets them. It certainly falls short in some areas, but overall it's a very useful tool for a number of domains. Even games.

Errors in C or C++ don't always come from stupidity. C++ is a complex language with very few safeguards. Hence the proliferation of C++ coding standards among different shops, permitting and forbidding different features, in an attempt to reduce the chance of costly errors. And programmers *will* make mistakes. Java provides built-in safeguards which go a long way to reducing the common errors C and C++ programmers make. There are other errors you can make in Java, but (for the most part) they aren't on the same scale as things such as buffer overruns and pointer corruption. The benefit of this can be seen in the lack of a proliferation of Java coding standards among different shops.

I love C for the simple fact that I know what's happening with each line of code and I have the freedom to do pretty much anything. But I've got a lot of plumbing to protect myself from the mistakes I will inevitably make during one of those long coding sessions where the code I just wrote looks great and runs perfectly during testing, but blows up in the wild. I love Java for letting me forget about all the internals and allowing me to just get on with building my app, slapping me on the wrist when I make one of those mistakes during a long coding session so that my app *doesn't* blow up in the wild.

That's how I can stand Java. The fact that I've been paid to use it may have something to do with it, too.
I've been working with Java for about 10 years.

As long as you have a decent IDE with good auto-completion Java's verbosity is easy to manage. I've used both IntelliJ and Eclipse.

It maps well to 'enterprise' software where you have many, many developers of wildly different talent across multiple locations. The verbosity and rigidity of the Java language itself makes it easy to quickly grok new unfamiliar code-bases and have decent tools that'll mostly work out of the box.

In this kind of environment certain C/C++ 'advantages' e.g. the preprocessor and operator overloading usually end up being more trouble than they are worth.

When it comes to development time I find Java definitely adequate. The performance is "good enough". Most of the systems I work on don't have strict realtime performance requirements and thus memory usage and disk space is not a concern (just throw more hardware at it). The amount of time I save from not having to troubleshoot memory leaks, memory corruption, buffer overruns, etc. is more time available cranking out business requirements.

A few other advantages of Java is that it's probably the best cross-platform (e.g. Solaris, Mac, Windows, Linux) language if your needs include GUI and/or web application stacks, more third-party libraries than you could ever imagine, and finally just about anyone either knows Java or can learn it making hiring easier.

It boils down to using the right tool for the right job.
I had a boss once, who measured lines-of-code-per-hour cool.gif as an indicator of performance...

Your boss was measuring performance based on how many lines of code you wrote per hour!? Lol, I would have been fired after two days XD It's really a mystery how obvious retards like that end up in the software industry ...

[quote name='Storyyeller' timestamp='1310097921' post='4832635']so it seems to require unnecessarily complicated constructs and boilerplate code to accomplish simple tasks
I had a boss once, who measured lines-of-code-per-hour cool.gif as an indicator of performance...
[/quote]

"Measuring software productivity by lines of code is like measuring progress on an airplane by how much it weighs." - Bill Gates

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement