Sign in to follow this  
deuces225

Equipping items to a player in RPG game

deuces225    120
Hiya,

I'm currently working on programming an RPG game/game engine and I'm trying to figure out how to correct my equipment system. I have a class called Weapon that is an extension of an item class. I have multiple of the same weapon in my inventory, let's say a dagger. When one party memeber equips this dagger, each dagger is equipped by this member therefore disabling the other party member to equip said item.

I know the problem is that I am passing the weapon object as a reference instead of value, but I'm unable to figure out how to pass each weapon object as its own weapon without having to create a seperate class for each individual weapon. I know it's a rather simple fix, but I'm racking my brain trying to figure this out.

Finally, Im using Java, but am in the process of translating the project into C++, I'm guessing this may be what pointers are for(probably not actually)...haven't read up on them in a long time so I've forgotten somewhat.
Can't instantiate this weapon!!! Don't wanna have to recreate the constructor parameters each time I make it!

Thanks in advance... =)

ApochPiQ    23003
You need to have a separate instance of Weapon for each actual "physical" weapon item in the game. Then, store a container of Items that are equipped per player. When a player equips a specific item, move the corresponding instance into the container. When unequipping, move back out and into a "on the ground" or "shared among the party" container, or something like that.

deuces225    120
[quote name='ApochPiQ' timestamp='1310253763' post='4833188']
You need to have a separate instance of Weapon for each actual "physical" weapon item in the game. Then, store a container of Items that are equipped per player. When a player equips a specific item, move the corresponding instance into the container. When unequipping, move back out and into a "on the ground" or "shared among the party" container, or something like that.
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply!

I can picture this, for my weapon constructor i've done that, for each seperate equippable weapon in the game I construct the weapon like so...

//somewhat pseudo code;

Weapon Dagger = new Weapon([i]arguments);
[/i]Weapon Slingshot = new Weapon([i]arguments[/i]);
Inventory.addItem(Dagger);
Inventory.addItem(Slingshot); //Let's say the character's inventory class contains a Dagger, and a Slingshot already
inventory.addItem(Dagger);

for(Item i : Game.n.inv.userTotalItems) //Item are abstract classes that include Weapons/Items/Armor/Key Items etc with Constructors for each different type
//So for each item that is in the userTotalItem(ArrayList of total items by the user), of the inventory class(inv), which is located in my (equipmentMenu), in the game
{
if(i.slotType == selectedSlot.slotType && !i.equipped) (if the slot type of the equippable item matches the actual slot's slot type and it is equipped)
{
listNum++;
System.out.println(listNum+". "+i.name+"("+i.slotType+")");
}
else if(i.slotType == selectedSlot.slotType && i.equipped) (if the slot type of the equippable item matches the actual slot's slot type and it isn't equipped)
{
listNum++;
System.out.println(listNum+". "+i.name+" ("+i.slotType+") ("+i.owner.name+")");
}
}

I think im having problems first off with this block of cde, it only lists the inventory as having one item in the inventory ...

Blagh, I guess what I'm trying to figure out is how to instantiate objects in java?