Sign in to follow this  

browser based strategy MMO architecture

This topic is 2351 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm considering making a browser based strategy MMO (something in the vein of a less tedious Lord of Ultima / Evony), but need a little guidance in terms of the architecture needed to make that happen.

My current idea is to have an HTML5/JavaScript game client without any kind of flash/java/shockwave/silverlight/etc dependencies. This will run on top of a lightweight Java web server (maybe jetty/jersey/spring). The web frontend is essenially just a login page, whatever help/legal/other things I need, and the game client page which is where the player will spend all of their in-game time where everything runs through AJAX calls. So the web server only needs to serve up several pages, but will have to run a robust REST interface to serve all the AJAX requests. The web server will then talk to a locally running Java app (the actual game simulation) to satisfy the player actions/requests. The database will probably be MySQL or I might try something like MongoDB just for kicks.

What I'm looking for is:
1. Generally does this approach sound right or am I totally overlooking something?
2. Do the various technologies I mentioned seem like they can support this type of MMO with lets just say 1000 concurrent players.
3. Is it correct to separate the web server from the game simulation which the REST api needs to talk to?
4. Is there a good resource describing how a java web server talks to another java app?
5. Any good book or online resources which would be specifically helpful to what I'm trying to do.

[quote name='Ahbutfore' timestamp='1310260510' post='4833214']
1. Generally does this approach sound right or am I totally overlooking something?
2. Do the various technologies I mentioned seem like they can support this type of MMO with lets just say 1000 concurrent players.
3. Is it correct to separate the web server from the game simulation which the REST api needs to talk to?
4. Is there a good resource describing how a java web server talks to another java app?
[/quote]

Yes, it can be made to work like you say. No, you don't HAVE to separate the web server and the game/REST server, but you CAN. Any Java program can talk to any other Java program using HTTP, or plain TCP, or SOAP, or Java Remoting, or pretty much any other RPC mechanism you want.

This topic is 2351 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.