DX11 D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_9_3 and Win XP

Started by
10 comments, last by Yours3!f 12 years, 9 months ago
Hi All.
im trying to create a DX11 Device with D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_9_3 under Windows XP, but it wont stat because D3D11.dll is not found.
so will this only work on Vista and Up ?
because if it does not work on XP, i guess ive got a problem for a little while, untill i get Win7 / 8.
so will i be able to develop and test a D3D11 device on D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_9_3 under win XP ?

i just copied and pasted some of the code from the first DX11 tutorial on creating the device from the examples that come with the DX SDK.

Thanks in Advance.

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

Advertisement
DX11 does not support XP.
To support XP, you've got to use DX9.

---edit---
Wait, you've asked this before? tongue.gif

DX11 does not support XP.
To support XP, you've got to use DX9.

oh, ok <_<

---edit---
i know Win XP only supports DX9, i just thought that the feature levels thing would enable me to use the DX11 API Pipeline to develop a graphics engine/framework that works across all three DX versions.
in other words, change what things are called depending on if it is Xp or Vista and up.

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

You can use Dx11 to run on Dx11, Dx10 or Dx9 class VIDEOCARDS. But you still need to be on Vista/7, XP isn't supported.

Stefano Casillo
TWITTER: [twitter]KunosStefano[/twitter]
AssettoCorsa - netKar PRO - Kunos Simulazioni

You can use Dx11 to run on Dx11, Dx10 or Dx9 class VIDEOCARDS. But you still need to be on Vista/7, XP isn't supported.

ja, i know that.
for some reason i just thought that it would work under Win Xp.

moderaters etc, can you please delete this thread as it contains no info.
other then me remembering DX11 supported platforms.

use OpenGL to access DirectX 11 level features (OpenGL 4.x) under WinXP :D

why was this thumbed down ?
there was (is) nothing new in this thread that anybody does not allready know.

thats possible ?
or does OpenGL 4.X support the same features as DX11 ?

[quote name='ryan20fun' timestamp='1310374636' post='4833641']

why was this thumbed down ?
there was (is) nothing new in this thread that anybody does not allready know.

thats possible ?
[/quote]

I've never tried it, however I should be possible if you load the proper OpenGL extensions. It is worth a try. Just create an OpenGL context and check the OpenGL version.
OpenGL 4.0 (and especially 4.1) supports the same features as DX11 (as far as I know), and even more, because since then new extensions have appeared.
thats possible ?

Yes, and yes. Except Compute Shaders - but for that you can use OpenCL.
OpenGL 4.1 core has about the same features as Direct3D11. There's even no need for extensions.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement