HTML5 or Java?

Started by
38 comments, last by zyrolasting 12 years, 9 months ago
I have some experience with Python and Actionscript 2.0. Was thinking of making a simple browser based game, say a Chess Variant (with knights, dragons and spells etc) that has a chatroom next to it, for 2 players.

Which is the better language to learn to do this? Java or HTML5?
Advertisement

I have some experience with Python and Actionscript 2.0. Was thinking of making a simple browser based game, say a Chess Variant (with knights, dragons and spells etc) that has a chatroom next to it, for 2 players.

I'd go with flash(client) + python(server) since you know those allready and flash is installed on almost all systems (Java and HTML5 capable browsers are not as common)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
To add on, HTML is *not* for game development. It is largely used to define a layout for web pages and link other HTML documents together. Additional technologies like Flash can be embedded in pages for games (as Simon mentioned), but you could honestly use just about anything you wish server-side as long as you have a set standard to allow clients to talk to the server.

To add on, HTML is *not* for game development. It is largely used to define a layout for web pages and link other HTML documents together. Additional technologies like Flash can be embedded in pages for games (as Simon mentioned), but you could honestly use just about anything you wish server-side as long as you have a set standard to allow clients to talk to the server.

HTML5 is meant to compete with Flash and can be used to make games.

E.g. http://html5games.com/

[quote name='Sage Gerard' timestamp='1310314962' post='4833373']

HTML5 is meant to compete with Flash and can be used to make games.

E.g. http://html5games.com/[/quote]

Huh, I stand corrected. Although, I am curious as to why W3 would step away from the philosophy of separating concepts into other syntaxes. Sorry, I'm seeing this in a web dev perspective.

[quote name='Legendre' timestamp='1310314196' post='4833370']

I'd go with flash(client) + python(server) since you know those allready and flash is installed on almost all systems (Java and HTML5 capable browsers are not as common)
[/quote]

I haven't tried writing multiplayer games in Flash or Python. But I have been told that if I decide to upgrade/improve my game in the future, I won't get as far as I would be if I were to use Java. True? Google seems to think Java is the future for browser based apps.

Well, the iPad doesn't support Flash. :(

And I think Flash isn't as powerful as Java? (not sure about vs HTML5) I thought this way because all of the big browser based games seems to be written in Java while those written in Flash seems to be on a much smaller scale.

I haven't tried writing multiplayer games in Flash or Python. But I have been told that if I decide to upgrade/improve my game in the future, I won't get as far as I would be if I were to use Java. True? Google seems to think Java is the future for browser based apps.

Well, the iPad doesn't support Flash. :(

And I think Flash isn't as powerful as Java? (not sure about vs HTML5) I thought this way because all of the big browser based games seems to be written in Java while those written in Flash seems to be on a much smaller scale.

I don't think you will be in hot water if you chose to use Java, but I won't speak for a market, either. tongue.gif I do know that Runescape has expanded and prospered well using Java. I at least would call it a viable option!

I wouldn't be as worried about the question of "power". What works for you? See how your options relate to your needs and work habits. Anything W3 introduces has a tendency to be approachable, but Simon's mention of HTML5 not being widely and fully supported (for a good damn long time) will be a bugger.
Java isn't supported on the iPad either; nor is Silverlight nor Unity Web Player.

So, if iPad is among your targets, and you want it browser based, HTML 5 is your only choice.

That said, developing in HTML5 seems like a gigantic step backwards, but then I really do not like Javascript.
HTML5 for the chatroom, with FLASH for the game. FLASH for the simple fact that it will handle multiple players if your making an multiple enviroment. HTML5 + asynchrounous users = very bad tech right now.

I usually just give my 2 cents, but since most of the people I meet are stubborn I give a 1$ so my advice isn't lost via exchange rate.

Thanks guys! I'll stay away from HTML5 for now. Java it is then...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement