How to my idea across to publishers?

Started by
3 comments, last by Obscure 12 years, 9 months ago
Hey
I have created a full game design document and technical document that I hope one day to put into action and create a world class game, however I have contacted multiple publishers and all of them have said they do not accept designs from unsolicited sources so how do I get my Idea rolling if a publisher wont agree to see my Idea what do I do now? I am hoping to see a publisher in hope my game will be created and in hope I will have some involvement in its creation.

Also sorry if this is the wrong area.
Advertisement
You don't, sorry to disillusion you, but an idea is worth about 3 cents, even a very well established and documented idea. Want to get a publisher ( which is already a damned difficult prospect with a fully realized game), develop a very full concept demo. Or self publish your first title, which with the likes of Steam, iPhone App Store and Live Indy, is a viable option these days.
Moving to Business. Tom, you need to read the Business FAQs (link is above).

Oh, wait. I just looked in the FAQs and this one isn't linked there.
Read my FAQ on submissions and Dan Marchant's FAQ on submissions.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I lol'd at this. First, if you don't got a studio and some games behind it, no one wants you on their "hand out" list. Secondly, for anything bigger than single player, you will need to provide proof that you are better than "bob" who has a team, and maybe some success behind him. TBH, I looked for a publisher, and honestly the way some people want roi and royalties, it's not worth it. You can try you're hand at Nexon when they have their sponsoring contests, but look at the companies that they pick. All with established well marketed products that made money. If you want to hit up investors, well then that's a personal phone call and meetings. Expected the "NO" repeat answer. Finally, you can take out a loan from the bank, or pull a gamedev.net and no budget at all. Coming from a business perspective, I see little to no reason as to let you have any money to fund a fantasy unless, you yourself, are professional and can convince me with solid facts and numbers about profit. For me, I had cash to burn on my projects from the beginning. Some articles on a correct successful ppc/ptc campaign and a few insider tips from grey hats might save you about 5 hours of research time.

So, in short, you are on your own.
Failure is simply denying the truth and refusing to adapt for success. Failure is synthetic, invented by man to justify his laziness and lack of moral conduct. What truely lies within failure is neither primative or genetic. What failure is at the heart, is man's inability to rise and meet the challenge. Success is natural, only happening when man stops trying to imitate a synthetic or imaginable object. Once man starts acting outside his emotional standpoints, he will stop trying to imitate synthetic or imaginable objects called forth by the replication of his emptiness inside his mind. Man's mind is forever idle and therefore shall call forth through the primitives of such subconscious thoughts and behaviors that Success is unnatural and that failure is natural. Success is simply doing something at man's full natural abilities and power, failure is the inability to act on what man wants, dreams, wishes, invisions, or thinks himself to do. ~ RED (concluded when I was 5 years old looking at the world with wide eyes)

I am hoping to see a publisher in hope my game will be created and in hope I will have some involvement in its creation.

I'm sorry but publisher (and developers) simply don't accept ideas. They already have far more ideas than they can ever develop so, unless you have a full development team and a prove industry track record, they aren't interested. - Read http://www.obscure.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions/selling-game-design-ideas/ for a whole list of reasons why they aren't interested.

If you want a publisher to look at/fund your ideas to get them made you will have to learn to be a game developer, get a job in the industry, prove you can make games (several) and after a few years, then someone might be interested in talking to you. Sorry but just like the film industry or music business you need to put in your time before anyone is going to be interested.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement