Industry and Degrees?

Started by
7 comments, last by frob 12 years, 9 months ago
Hi all, I hope to learn a lot and meet everyone. I have a question to ask so I can make an informed choice. I am currently enrolled in a 2 year degree program that is heavy on Java. But due to the fact I have two paths to take for my 4 year, I need to make a choice now before getting to far down the path. The institution has a Bachelor of Computer Science that would be heavy on Java, Database, and has Perl. The other option is Bachelor of Computer Science Game Software Development. You would think they are very similar, but they do have some big differences. Game Design drops the Java and PERL (and some others) and in turn seems to be very C# heavy and has some Flash Game development and 3D character stuff. Both have some C++ of course. I would like to get into the game design industry (More code level then animation and such) but I am wondering what the industry really feels about these game design degrees. Are they really respected or do employers really prefer the traditional Computer Science Degree? What about the rest of the Programming industry? If I can't find work right away in game industry, is a degree weighted towards game design useless? Would I be cutting off my own feet dumping the Java to fall back on? I see a lot of job postings for Java. I guess simply, if I am looking to get into the game design industry (would like to game design at the minion level lol, but don't mind fall backs) should I go Java or C# in my degree (I.E. Credentials for the resume'. )? Thanks in advance.

Tom

(Just FYI- This is a meat and potatoes sort of college and they both are considered computer Science Degrees. I need to make a choice soon since I am, for the most part, done with the meat and potatoes lol)
Advertisement
Moving to the Breaking In forum.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Hi Tom,
Please read the breaking in FAQs (link is above).
Info about degrees.
Info about getting a job.
Info about making decisions.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks for the reply. I have reviewed the FAQ's (Thanks for them btw because they have been extremely helpful) but the ones that relate to my question are not quite answering my question. The FAQ's all seem to be related to the difference between a 4 yr Computer Science and a 2 yr Trade School Game Design program. What I am trying to judge is between two different 4 yr Computer Science Degree's. One classic and one leaning towards game development.

Again, my main question is what looks better for having on a Resume' for entry level Programming positions in the Video Game industry, Java/PERL/Database or C#,3D Rendering, Flash? (Both have equal classes in C++ which I understand is very important)
To be honest, neither degree sounds like a 'classic' degree. Both sound like job training as opposed to the algorithms, data structures and other computer science foundations that employers would expect.

Do you have links for the curricula of each degree?

the ones that relate to my question are not quite answering my question. The FAQ's all seem to be related to the difference between a 4 yr Computer Science and a 2 yr Trade School Game Design program. What I am trying to judge is between two different 4 yr Computer Science Degree's. One classic and one leaning towards game development.

Read FAQ 25.

what looks better for having on a Resume' for entry level Programming positions in the Video Game industry, Java/PERL/Database or C#,3D Rendering, Flash? [/quote]
Read FAQs 52 and 25.

I know there is a better link somewhere but I can't seem to find it. Here is the catalog. The two programs are on page 52 and 53. In the course description of the courses called Game Programming it mentions it is influenced by C#. (makes note of it in a few other classes also. As for the traditional Computer Science I would choose Java and VB over RPG. If you put the two together, they have a lot of the same stuff. That is where I get the JAVA vs C#. If I am looking at it primary from the programmer aspect, i would get the same C++, VB, Database structure. I would give up Java, Perl, and iSeries for loads of C#, Flash Game Dev, and other game dev related courses,

Catalog

Like I said, I read those FAQ's and they still don't answer my question. Which is why I am here. One is about picking a college (which I already have) and choosing between a 4yr Computer Science Degree vs a 2yr trade school game design. (which I have done already by choosing Computer Science). The other one just says its lame to ask 2 choice questions. That's great and all, but I would still love to have feedback on this since I have to make a choice really soon. Its not about what college to attend, its simply asking what major game companies use more (noting that they both have equal C++)? Java or C#? That's all I am asking really.
wc5,
FAQ 25 stresses that this must be YOUR decision, because it's YOUR life, and we can't know what criteria are important to YOU. There is no universal one-size-fits-all favored language among all "major game companies" between the three languages you named. IT DEPENDS. It depends on what platform they support, it depends on what kind of games they make, it depends on which department of the company you work for, it depends on what is the favored technology of the week. It depends, it depends, it depends.
You think the world is black and white, binary, either X or Y and never both, and never Z or G or Q or pi.
The world is not that knowable.
You have to make YOUR OWN decision.
Live your life to suit YOUR OWN preferences, skills, and abilities -- not to suit some hypothetical future employer's whims.
It's a fact of life that no decision you make will ever be "perfect," either way.
Whatever you study, you can find a career in games. If you study the stuff you prefer to study, then the career you get in games will be more to your liking than if you study the stuff you think some employer "requires."
The FAQs don't say all that?
All that doesn't make sense?

Again, my main question is what looks better for having on a Resume' for entry level Programming positions in the Video Game industry, Java/PERL/Database or C#,3D Rendering, Flash? (Both have equal classes in C++ which I understand is very important)

It depends entirely on you.

You want to focus on database programming? That's great, lots of games use databases.
You want to focus on web languages? That's great, lots of games are web based.
You want to focus on command script languages? That's great, lots of games use scripted build systems.
You want to focus on 3D rendering? That's great, lots of games have 3D graphics.

There is no one single path to game development. Do what you want to do.

I know there is a better link somewhere but I can't seem to find it. Here is the catalog. The two programs are on page 52 and 53. In the course description of the courses called Game Programming it mentions it is influenced by C#. ... I have to make a choice really soon. Its not about what college to attend, its simply asking what major game companies use more (noting that they both have equal C++)? Java or C#? That's all I am asking really.

Today's console games use C++ almost exclusively. If you know C++ you can probably get a job on that route.

Visit sites like Pogo.com and you will find a very successful set of games written in Java. If you know Java you can follow that route.

Many games are relying on Unity3D and other engines, written in C#. If you know C# you can follow that route.

Languages like Python, Lua, and even C# are used inside games for scripted items. Many companies use C# and (to a lesser extent) Java for tools. Python is often used as a part of the build scripts, as are scripting languages like ant. Knowing those languages can help with any of those routes.

Knowing many programming languages will help, not hinder, your progress.

I'm not entirely sure you really understood the FAQs.

Get the degree that you want. It is not a decision about what you think an employer might potentially want (hoping that you are correct in your guess), it is actually a decision about what you want. Focus on honing the skills you enjoy while picking up the essential broad base. Don't fixate on getting one specific job. People tend to become most skilled in things they enjoy, and enjoy the things they are skilled in, as a great personal development cycle. Once you develop your skills and those are skills you enjoy, an enjoyable job that needs those skills will follow easily enough.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement