[C#][Textbased] Command System, input needed.

Started by
11 comments, last by PureSnowX 12 years, 9 months ago
Yeah, I get that I need some kind of "Editor" ( Monster Editor, Item Editor ect ect ) to create the serialized files ( It needs to have the same .cs files as the main game ).
Then I can simply add them all in the main-game, de-serialize them and use them ingame!

But how do you parse ( that is the name for it right? ) Dialogs , AI's and such? Or do you make a Dialog.cs and AI.cs that contains the Dialog and Logic for the Dialog? add it to the NPC and serialize it all together?
Is that how it commonly works? :) ( Of course all that is done with the "Editor" )
Advertisement
3dbuzz got a free video tutorial on how to make an engine for text based adventure games in c#. I know its not exactly what you are looking for but it got som very good tips on handling input.
Here is a link: http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_videonav.php?fid=e4da4800d407d5304c121d86f9f2a97d

3dbuzz got a free video tutorial on how to make an engine for text based adventure games in c#. I know its not exactly what you are looking for but it got som very good tips on handling input.
Here is a link: http://www.3dbuzz.co...c121d86f9f2a97d

I have actually seen that one ( Not watched all the videos though ).
And It's a great reference source!

But all in all, my biggest question ( right now ) is how to implement larger entities without hard-coding them all.
By the information I have gathered, reading from a ( database ) file and parsing the strings into objects or serialize/de-serialize files directly into objects.

How do you create a big entity and serialize it, like for example an NPC-entity? With a dialog's that have logic ( and or else if ), call functions that changes different status and the likes, or hold a huge text-dialog.
Monsters with different AI's, Items that differs from normal ones, that calls a function each time it is used in battle and so on.

I know Scripting comes to many of you readers minds, but then i would have too add Lua ( or Python w/e ), and miss the knowledge of how to do these stuff by natively-coding them!
I'm a beginner but I want to learn! :D

Hope you GameDev-foxes can give me quick run through about the theory behind it all!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement