How do I achieve a resting state for my objects

Started by
3 comments, last by szecs 12 years, 9 months ago
currently my objects bounce to each other a minimal amount and they never rest, specially when they are on top of each other

how do I fix this?
Advertisement

currently my objects bounce to each other a minimal amount and they never rest, specially when they are on top of each other

how do I fix this?

Use a threshold for the speed of an object. When an object does not gain more speed than the threshold over a few seconds freeze it (no simulation any longer). When frozen you need some conditions to wake it up again. The obvious one is once an other object collides with it, but you need to save the last contacts too. Once an other object, which is registered as contact, moves, you need to wake up all objects which were in concat with this object and are still frozen. Think about a tower build up of objects, when you remove the bottom one, the upper one will fall down, in this case the bottom one was in contact with the next upper one etc.
Well, if you properly simulate dumping and you don't explicitly move things out of collision, you don't need to "freeze" your objects. I think freezing is more an optimization thing than a physics stabilizing thing (or should be).
what you mean by [color=#1C2837][size=2]explicitly move things out of collision?
If you modify the position of the objects to force them not to overlap each other.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement