Which should I...?

Started by
21 comments, last by codegas 12 years, 9 months ago
What coding language should I learn first?

I'm fairly new to coding (and this forum) and only know a tiny bit about it.
I know there are lots of languages like Python, C++, Jave...etc. but which ones are the best to start with?
Also which language would be most beneficial for making games? (Prefferably portable handheld games on devices like the iPhone for instance)

Just some additional information I don't have any type of Mac or anything but I will hopefully be getting a MacBook in the next month or so.

Thanks for any help :D
Advertisement
C#

or Java, if you're the bastard demon spawn of Satan :cool: I kid I kid haha
Always strive to be better than yourself.

C#

or Java, if you're the bastard demon spawn of Satan :cool: I kid I kid haha

Is there any particular reason to do C# first, or is it just generally a good place to start?

Is there any particular reason to do C# first, or is it just generally a good place to start?

"C# is good for the same reasons Java is good (simplicity and safety with the core concepts being pretty consistent with many other languages). It is great because Microsoft has done a great job of supporting it's knowledge base with tutorials through it's XNA community site. That would be my biggest selling point if I were to start now. There are tons of great user and M$ made tutorials that are pretty phenomenal.
I would recommend you on C# if you want a little bit of a "softer" start. However, if you wish on going hardcore straight away, go for C++.

That's just my opinion :wink:
In my humble opinion, Objective C is crap, hands down the worst language in popular use today. The only reason it exists still is it is the under-pinnings of NeXT, which ultimately became OS/X. I really can't think of a single thing I like about said language.

That said, it is the lingua franca of iOS. True, you can use C++ and C, but you are taking a step away from the native APIs. You also could use C#, but recently Novell axed the Monotouch group and Ximian 2.0 isn't up and running yet. Then there is Unity, which is built on Mono ( open source implementation of C# ), which provides a much much much nicer langauge than ObjC, but then you are tied to their platform. On iOS, Java and Python aren't even possible, unless going through a translator of sorts.

All that said, if I was targeting iOS for a game, I would go with Unity/C#, in a heartbeat. Which, by the way, gives the option of Javascript and Boo, neither of which are in your poll. Actually you can mix and match all three languages. Personally I wouldn't bother, as I think C# is superior to the other two.

[quote name='codegas' timestamp='1310412761' post='4833931']

"C# is good for the same reasons Java is good (simplicity and safety with the core concepts being pretty consistent with many other languages). It is great because Microsoft has done a great job of supporting it's knowledge base with tutorials through it's XNA community site. That would be my biggest selling point if I were to start now. There are tons of great user and M$ made tutorials that are pretty phenomenal.
[/quote]

Really, M$? Really?
I'd like to recommend C#, It's easy to start with, teaches you "strict" ( don't quote me on that! ) OOP and also more or less forces you to think about object-management/allocation/recycling ( And that is good in my opinion ).

It got a good Graphic framework ( XNA ) that allows Windows and XBox games to be created, Their is also SDL.NET and SFML.NET If you are into cross-platform games! ( Though that requires some more work! )
Also It got a lot of nice features!

I have done a bit of C++ ( I prefer the syntax in C++ over C# though, It looks beautiful ) and well It's "The Gaming Industry Standard", nothing more to say, It got a steep learning curve in my opinion.

I prefer the syntax in C++ over C# though, It looks beautiful

This... may be the very first time I have ever heard such words uttered! :D

[quote name='Moonkis' timestamp='1310413527' post='4833940']
I prefer the syntax in C++ over C# though, It looks beautiful

This... may be the very first time I have ever heard such words uttered! :D
[/quote]

Let me rephrase that! I think C++ syntax has more of a "pro" feel to it, though C# wins hands down when it comes to actually code with the syntax ( In my humble opinion! )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement