Looking for Suitable UML Tool

Started by
2 comments, last by SuperVGA 12 years, 9 months ago
I'd like to start using UML to plan out module/class relationships in my C++ projects. I'm looking for a free, downloadable, simple but practical UML programmme. I could just Google it and download the first thing that comes up, but I'd like to know what people have tried and found suitable. Thanks!
Advertisement
Hi Sappharos,

I used MS Visio with some success (although for UML it's a piece of garbage IMHO, but I never tried anything else wink.gif )
Take a look at http://alternativeto.net/software/microsoft-visio/

It appears that Dia, LucidChart and Diagramly might be good candidates for your UML needs, but I haven't tried them yet.
The list is longer, though. Good luck in your search!
Okay, I'll take a look at those - thanks! As it happens, Microsoft Visio '10 is available free to me as a student, so I'll definitely consider that one.

Okay, I'll take a look at those - thanks! As it happens, Microsoft Visio '10 is available free to me as a student, so I'll definitely consider that one.

You probably should. Though i don't remember what i used alternatively, I came back to Visio (2003 later 2007) when i studied, after trying a few alternatives out,
and I was much more displeased with those than I was with Visio wink.gif. But I should give MS some credit; I did manage to put together some good diagrams with Visio even with a few
annoyances now and then. Also, Visio was great for circuit logic, so I stuck with it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement