Career dilemma

Started by
4 comments, last by Tom Sloper 12 years, 9 months ago
Hello,

I have a career dilemma to solve and I hope to get some advice and helpful comments about my situation. First of all, I should say that I am really lucky since my problem is to choose between two really good options.

I am currently doing an internship in order to graduate a 5-year degree in Engineering in France. I did not really search for a job after my internship, but few headhunters came to me with different job offers, probably because I posted my resume to several website when I was looking for an internship.

After different interviews and so on... I came up with different definitive job offers. I already refused some of them since I was not interested in (a position as Junior 2D programmer at Gameloft Seoul with a really poor wage ...). I have now to choose between two options :
  • A position as project coordinator at LG in Seoul for the car business department. Globally, my job would be to manage the relation between the team of R&D engineer and French car manufacturer. Really nice and interesting with a fairly decent salary. But nothing to do with the game industry.
  • A position as project coordinator at Ubisoft in Sweden on a very exciting project. (I am sorry I cannot say which one ...).

I want to work in the game industry, but I would like to work in the management, not as programmer, because I do not think that I want to do programming during all the day for several years, it turns out that it just a kind of hobby for me.

For personal reason, although I am probably missing a good opportunity, I would prefer to go to work in Seoul for LG. But later, I would like to move to the game industry. So my question is: do you think it is difficult to break into the game industry after previous experience in unrelated fields?

Thank you,

PS: Feel free to say anything else about this choice and what you would do in such of situation, I am sure that could be helpful for me.
Advertisement
As Tom would say...read FAQ 70: how to make a decision.

Sloperama.com is the site. Good luck with your future job, and I'm sorry that I don't have any personal experience from which to give you advice.
I might be missing something but if the position is a project coordinator at both places and you want to work in the game industry then I don't see why you wouldnt pick the position in the game industry.

About your question I don't think it would be that difficult to break in with experience in a different field. As long as you are able to show that the skills you have can translate to the game industry it shouldn't be a problem. The only issue I could really see is that since you want to go into management most positions I see for producers want shipped titles when they go to hire an experienced manager.
Hello Mumbo,

Thank you for your input. As I said, I would prefer to move at Seoul right now for personal reason, which explain why I would refuse the job at Ubisoft.

Regards,
Hello Coty,

Thank you for the link, it is pretty helpful.

Regards,
The FAQ 70 link is also easily found in this forum's FAQs (which you scrolled past to read this).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement