Sign in to follow this  
Sh@dow

Create 2D model in 3ds max

Sh@dow    105
Hi all,

I'm developing a simple game (2D) and i need to draw a model.
Is it possible to draw a model on a plane in 3ds max using primitives(circle,oval) and export vertex coordinates to a file? How could i do this?
I see that 3ds max works only in 3D.
Thanks,

Serapth    6671
Short answer no. Longer answer, you could, but you would be abusing the intent of the tool and would be horrifically inefficient.

If you want to do 2D graphics using primitives, you want a vector based program such as Illustrator ( $$ ), Inkscape ( free ) or Expressions Blend ( $ ).

Or you want a pixel based ( raster ) program such as Photoshop ( $$ ), Corel Painter ( $ ), Paint.net ( free ) or GIMP ( free ).

MatthewJackson    104
Serapth is correct. You cannot natively export a 3ds model into a vector format. I am sure that someone more motivated than myself could write an extension to do this, but I cannot conceive why anyone would want to do this.

Traditionally, when a 3D application is used to create 2D images, the final product is a render of a 3D environment. So, one might model and animate a person walking, then place that person in a preset render-room with a camera at a specific angle and render to a series of still images that are then put into a game environment and scaled like any other graphic. This can have aliasing problems unless your images are of a large size, which can cause loading problems depending on your implementation and when all the different walk cycles and other animations are included your size and memory usage will likely exceed simply using the full 3d model.

If at all possible, you want the vector based approach as mentioned by Serapth.