Sign in to follow this  
16bit_port

DX11 feature levels

16bit_port    180
My understanding of feature levels is that with it you can use the D3D11 API on older video cards that don't support D3D11 but with two caveats : one being that the client OS must be Vista or higher and the second is that D3D11-exclusive features are not available to those non-D3D11 cards.

[b]Question 1 : [/b]
If the device is created with feature level 9.0 (card only supports 9.0), what happens under the hood when a D3D11 function is called? Like for example somewhere in my code I have a call to D3D11CreateDevice(), but since it's running on the 9.0 feature level, is the D3D9-equivalent of the function called instead (in this case IDirect3D9::CreateDevice)?

[b]Question 2 :[/b]
Same situation as the previous (using feature level 9.0) but this time a hull and a domain shader is created in the code. What happens? Does it crash at that point or are those calls just simply ignored?

[b]Question 3 :[/b]
I came across a year-old thread and in it :

[i]N3Xus : I have another question: I have a DX10 compatible graphics card, if I use the feature level for DX10-SM4.0, does the new multithreading DX11 thing work?
MJP : Yes you can[/i]

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the multi-threading exclusive to DX11 only? If what I said before is true (D3D11-exclusive features are not available to those non-D3D11 cards), how can the multi-threading work on a DX10 card? Is MJP implying that that will only work with a reference rasterizer?

[b]Question 4 :[/b]
[url="http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff476876%28v=VS.85%29.aspx"]In this MSDN article[/url], it says "In prior versions of Direct3D, you could find out the version of Direct3D the video card implemented, and then program your application accordingly." and then it goes on to talk about feature levels. Maybe I'm reading too much into that sentence but is it implying that with the introduction of feature levels, you no longer have to do something like this (?) :

if( D3D11 is supported in the hardware )
// render with D3D11 code
else if( D3D10 is supported in hardware )
// render with D3D10 code
else if( D3D9 is supported in hardware )
// render with D3D9 code

and that with feature levels you just have to write one "version" of code (D3D11) and it will implicitly handle all different versions (D3D 9/10) and you don't have to do those nasty if-cases?

If you can directly answer each of these questions and not jumble it into one generic answer, that would help me a lot. Thanks! =)

Demirug    884
[font="Calibri"][size="3"]1.[/size][/font] [size="3"][font="Calibri"]The Direct3D 11 runtime will call the Direct3D 9 (ex) driver. The Direct3D 9 runtime is not used.[/font][/size]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]2.[/size][/font] [size="3"][font="Calibri"]It should never crash. Calls that are not supported should return an error code. Not tested by my own as I try to not make calls that are not supported.[/font][/size]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]3.[/size][/font] [size="3"][font="Calibri"]There is a runtime level emulation for this feature if the driver doesn’t support it. You can still benefit from it but you need to be carefully as it may have a different performances behavior as real driver support.[/font][/size]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]4.[/size][/font] [size="3"][font="Calibri"]You still might need to write feature level specific code if you need fallbacks for techniques that are not supported by lower feature levels. One case is using a compute shader vs. pixel shader for post processing. But in general you need to write much less specific code.[/font][/size]

MJP    19755
2. If you try to do something not supported by the feature level of the device, the call will fail and (if you have it enabled) the debug output will tell you what you did wrong. Here's a real-life example that I just got this morning:
[size=1]D3D11: ERROR: ID3D11Device::CreateDepthStencilView: A non-zero Flags field (0x3) is not valid, unless the GetFeatureLevel returns D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_11_0 or greater. [ STATE_CREATION ERROR #2097153: CREATEDEPTHSTENCILVIEW_INVALIDFLAGS ][/size]

[size=1]First-chance exception at 0x779676fd in imrender.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: _com_error at memory location 0x0012e7e8..[/size]

[size=1]D3D11: ERROR: ID3D11Device::CreateDepthStencilView: Returning E_INVALIDARG, meaning invalid parameters were passed. [ STATE_CREATION ERROR #148: CREATEDEPTHSTENCILVIEW_INVALIDARG_RETURN ][/size]

3. Yeah like Demirug says, the runtime always supports it even if the driver doesn't. Obviously you get the most benefit out of a driver that actually supports multithreaded command buffer generation and resource creation, but even if it doesn't you can still get some benefit from the runtime-emulated command generation. In my experience it's been around 20-25% max. There are caps you can check at runtime if you want to know what the driver supports.

4. You still need to have different code paths for different hardware capabilities if you don't want to just go with the lowest common denominator. The big difference is that you no longer have to abstract out different versions of the API. So if you want to set a pixel shader on a 9-level device, it's the same function call and same interfaces that you use for an 11-level device.

DieterVW    724
3. In addition to the above, new DX10+ drivers released with/after Win7 may have updates to support downlevel features such as multithreading and compute shader. That means older hardware can support some of the newer features if the driver was updated. Cap flags were added to the D3D11 API to check if there is support for these optional downlevel features.

16bit_port    180
When you guys say Direct3D 11 runtime, do you mean the d3d11 dll?

With regards to the runtime level emulation, is it only for that feature (multi-threading), or does it apply for other features not supported by the hardware? And what exactly do you mean by runtime emulation? Do you mean WARP?

So if I want to support different video cards with various directx versions, I should go this route (code with D3D11 and let feature levels do its thing, while making sure to handle features that might be absent on older hardware) rather than creating abstracted version-specific rendering engines.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By isu diss
      HRESULT FBXLoader::Open(HWND hWnd, char* Filename) { HRESULT hr = S_OK; if (FBXM) { FBXIOS = FbxIOSettings::Create(FBXM, IOSROOT); FBXM->SetIOSettings(FBXIOS); FBXI = FbxImporter::Create(FBXM, ""); if (!(FBXI->Initialize(Filename, -1, FBXIOS))) MessageBox(hWnd, (wchar_t*)FBXI->GetStatus().GetErrorString(), TEXT("ALM"), MB_OK); FBXS = FbxScene::Create(FBXM, "MCS"); if (!FBXS) MessageBox(hWnd, TEXT("Failed to create the scene"), TEXT("ALM"), MB_OK); if (!(FBXI->Import(FBXS))) MessageBox(hWnd, TEXT("Failed to import fbx file content into the scene"), TEXT("ALM"), MB_OK); if (FBXI) FBXI->Destroy(); FbxNode* MainNode = FBXS->GetRootNode(); int NumKids = MainNode->GetChildCount(); FbxNode* ChildNode = NULL; for (int i=0; i<NumKids; i++) { ChildNode = MainNode->GetChild(i); FbxNodeAttribute* NodeAttribute = ChildNode->GetNodeAttribute(); if (NodeAttribute->GetAttributeType() == FbxNodeAttribute::eMesh) { FbxMesh* Mesh = ChildNode->GetMesh(); NumVertices = Mesh->GetControlPointsCount();//number of vertices MyV = new FBXVTX[NumVertices]; for (DWORD j = 0; j < NumVertices; j++) { FbxVector4 Vertex = Mesh->GetControlPointAt(j);//Gets the control point at the specified index. MyV[j].Position = XMFLOAT3((float)Vertex.mData[0], (float)Vertex.mData[1], (float)Vertex.mData[2]); } NumIndices = Mesh->GetPolygonVertexCount();//number of indices; for cube 20 MyI = new DWORD[NumIndices]; MyI = (DWORD*)Mesh->GetPolygonVertices();//index array NumFaces = Mesh->GetPolygonCount(); MyF = new FBXFACEX[NumFaces]; for (int l=0;l<NumFaces;l++) { MyF[l].Vertices[0] = MyI[4*l]; MyF[l].Vertices[1] = MyI[4*l+1]; MyF[l].Vertices[2] = MyI[4*l+2]; MyF[l].Vertices[3] = MyI[4*l+3]; } UV = new XMFLOAT2[NumIndices]; for (int i = 0; i < Mesh->GetPolygonCount(); i++)//polygon(=mostly rectangle) count { FbxLayerElementArrayTemplate<FbxVector2>* uvVertices = NULL; Mesh->GetTextureUV(&uvVertices); for (int j = 0; j < Mesh->GetPolygonSize(i); j++)//retrieves number of vertices in a polygon { FbxVector2 uv = uvVertices->GetAt(Mesh->GetTextureUVIndex(i, j)); UV[4*i+j] = XMFLOAT2((float)uv.mData[0], (float)uv.mData[1]); } } } } } else MessageBox(hWnd, TEXT("Failed to create the FBX Manager"), TEXT("ALM"), MB_OK); return hr; } I've been trying to load fbx files(cube.fbx) into my programme. but I get this. Can someone pls help me?

• By lonewolff
      Hi Guys,
      I am having a bit of a problem with a dynamic texture.
      It is creating without error and I am attempting to initialize the first pixel to white to make sure I am mapping correctly. But when I draw the texture to the quad it displays the whole quad white (instead of just one pixel).
      This is how I am creating, mapping, and setting the first pixel to white. But as mentioned, when I draw the quad, the entire quad is white.

// Create dynamic texture D3D11_TEXTURE2D_DESC textureDesc = { 0 }; textureDesc.Width = 2048; textureDesc.Height = 2048; textureDesc.MipLevels = 1; textureDesc.ArraySize = 1; textureDesc.Format = DXGI_FORMAT_B8G8R8A8_UNORM; textureDesc.SampleDesc.Count = 1; textureDesc.Usage = D3D11_USAGE_DYNAMIC; textureDesc.BindFlags = D3D11_BIND_SHADER_RESOURCE; textureDesc.CPUAccessFlags = D3D11_CPU_ACCESS_WRITE; textureDesc.MiscFlags = 0; HRESULT result = d3dDevice->CreateTexture2D(&textureDesc, NULL, &textureDynamic); if (FAILED(result)) return -1; result = d3dDevice->CreateShaderResourceView(textureDynamic, 0, &textureRV); if (FAILED(result)) return -2; D3D11_MAPPED_SUBRESOURCE resource; if (FAILED(d3dContext->Map(textureDynamic, 0, D3D11_MAP_WRITE_DISCARD, 0, &resource))) return -1; memset(resource.pData, 255, 4); d3dContext->Unmap(textureDynamic, 0);  
      Hopefully I have just made an oversight somewhere.
      Any assistance would be greatly appreciated
      (If I change the 255 value to 128 the quad then turns grey, so the mapping is definitely doing something. Just can't work out why it is colouring the whole quad and not the first pixel)
    • By KaiserJohan
      Just a really quick question - is there any overhead to using DrawIndexedInstanced even for geometry you just render once vs using DrawIndexed? Or is the details obfuscated by the graphics driver?
      I would assume no but you never know  
    • By isu diss
       I'm trying to code Rayleigh part of Nishita's model (Display Method of the Sky Color Taking into Account Multiple Scattering). I get black screen no colors. Can anyone find the issue for me?

#define InnerRadius 6320000 #define OutterRadius 6420000 #define PI 3.141592653 #define Isteps 20 #define Ksteps 10 static float3 RayleighCoeffs = float3(6.55e-6, 1.73e-5, 2.30e-5); RWTexture2D<float4> SkyColors : register (u0); cbuffer CSCONSTANTBUF : register( b0 ) { float fHeight; float3 vSunDir; } float Density(float Height) { return exp(-Height/8340); } float RaySphereIntersection(float3 RayOrigin, float3 RayDirection, float3 SphereOrigin, float Radius) { float t1, t0; float3 L = SphereOrigin - RayOrigin; float tCA = dot(L, RayDirection); if (tCA < 0) return -1; float lenL = length(L); float D2 = (lenL*lenL) - (tCA*tCA); float Radius2 = (Radius*Radius); if (D2<=Radius2) { float tHC = sqrt(Radius2 - D2); t0 = tCA-tHC; t1 = tCA+tHC; } else return -1; return t1; } float RayleighPhaseFunction(float cosTheta) { return ((3/(16*PI))*(1+cosTheta*cosTheta)); } float OpticalDepth(float3 StartPosition, float3 EndPosition) { float3 Direction = normalize(EndPosition - StartPosition); float RayLength = RaySphereIntersection(StartPosition, Direction, float3(0, 0, 0), OutterRadius); float SampleLength = RayLength / Isteps; float3 tmpPos = StartPosition + 0.5 * SampleLength * Direction; float tmp; for (int i=0; i<Isteps; i++) { tmp += Density(length(tmpPos)-InnerRadius); tmpPos += SampleLength * Direction; } return tmp*SampleLength; } static float fExposure = -2; float3 HDR( float3 LDR) { return 1.0f - exp( fExposure * LDR ); } [numthreads(32, 32, 1)] //disptach 8, 8, 1 it's 256 by 256 image void ComputeSky(uint3 DTID : SV_DispatchThreadID) { float X = ((2 * DTID.x) / 255) - 1; float Y = 1 - ((2 * DTID.y) / 255); float r = sqrt(((X*X)+(Y*Y))); float Theta = r * (PI); float Phi = atan2(Y, X); static float3 Eye = float3(0, 10, 0); float ViewOD = 0, SunOD = 0, tmpDensity = 0; float3 Attenuation = 0, tmp = 0, Irgb = 0; //if (r<=1) { float3 ViewDir = normalize(float3(sin(Theta)*cos(Phi), cos(Theta),sin(Theta)*sin(Phi) )); float ViewRayLength = RaySphereIntersection(Eye, ViewDir, float3(0, 0, 0), OutterRadius); float SampleLength = ViewRayLength / Ksteps; //vSunDir = normalize(vSunDir); float cosTheta = dot(normalize(vSunDir), ViewDir); float3 tmpPos = Eye + 0.5 * SampleLength * ViewDir; for(int k=0; k<Ksteps; k++) { float SunRayLength = RaySphereIntersection(tmpPos, vSunDir, float3(0, 0, 0), OutterRadius); float3 TopAtmosphere = tmpPos + SunRayLength*vSunDir; ViewOD = OpticalDepth(Eye, tmpPos); SunOD = OpticalDepth(tmpPos, TopAtmosphere); tmpDensity = Density(length(tmpPos)-InnerRadius); Attenuation = exp(-RayleighCoeffs*(ViewOD+SunOD)); tmp += tmpDensity*Attenuation; tmpPos += SampleLength * ViewDir; } Irgb = RayleighCoeffs*RayleighPhaseFunction(cosTheta)*tmp*SampleLength; SkyColors[DTID.xy] = float4(Irgb, 1); } }  
    • By Endurion
      I have a gaming framework with an renderer interface. Those support DX8, DX9 and latest, DX11. Both DX8 and DX9 use fixed function pipeline, while DX11 obviously uses shaders. I've got most of the parts working fine, as in I can switch renderers and notice almost no difference. The most advanced features are 2 directional lights with a single texture  
      My last problem is lighting; albeit there's documentation on the D3D lighting model I still can't get the behaviour right. My mistake shows most prominently in the dark side opposite the lights. I'm pretty sure the ambient calculation is off, but that one's supposed to be the most simple one and should be hard to get wrong.
      Interestingly I've been searching high and low, and have yet to find a resource that shows how to build a HLSL shader where diffuse, ambient and specular are used together with material properties. I've got various shaders for all the variations I'm supporting. I stepped through the shader with the graphics debugger, but the calculation seems to do what I want. I'm just not sure the formula is correct.
      This one should suffice though, it's doing two directional lights, texture modulated with vertex color and a normal. Maybe someone can spot one (or more mistakes). And yes, this is in the vertex shader and I'm aware lighting will be as "bad" as in fixed function; that's my goal currently.
      // A constant buffer that stores the three basic column-major matrices for composing geometry. cbuffer ModelViewProjectionConstantBuffer : register(b0) { matrix model; matrix view; matrix projection; matrix ortho2d; }; struct DirectionLight { float3 Direction; float PaddingL1; float4 Ambient; float4 Diffuse; float4 Specular; }; cbuffer LightsConstantBuffer : register( b1 ) { float4 Ambient; float3 EyePos; float PaddingLC1; DirectionLight Light[8]; }; struct Material { float4 MaterialEmissive; float4 MaterialAmbient; float4 MaterialDiffuse; float4 MaterialSpecular; float MaterialSpecularPower; float3 MaterialPadding; }; cbuffer MaterialConstantBuffer : register( b2 ) { Material _Material; }; // Per-vertex data used as input to the vertex shader. struct VertexShaderInput { float3 pos : POSITION; float3 normal : NORMAL; float4 color : COLOR0; float2 tex : TEXCOORD0; }; // Per-pixel color data passed through the pixel shader. struct PixelShaderInput { float4 pos : SV_POSITION; float2 tex : TEXCOORD0; float4 color : COLOR0; }; // Simple shader to do vertex processing on the GPU. PixelShaderInput main(VertexShaderInput input) { PixelShaderInput output; float4 pos = float4( input.pos, 1.0f ); // Transform the vertex position into projected space. pos = mul(pos, model); pos = mul(pos, view); pos = mul(pos, projection); output.pos = pos; // pass texture coords output.tex = input.tex; // Calculate the normal vector against the world matrix only. //set required lighting vectors for interpolation float3 normal = mul( input.normal, ( float3x3 )model ); normal = normalize( normal ); float4 ambientEffect = Ambient; float4 diffuseEffect = float4( 0, 0, 0, 0 ); float4 specularEffect = float4( 0, 0, 0, 0 ); for ( int i = 0; i < 2; ++i ) { // Invert the light direction for calculations. float3 lightDir = -Light[i].Direction; float lightFactor = max( dot( lightDir, input.normal ), 0 ); ambientEffect += Light[i].Ambient * _Material.MaterialAmbient; diffuseEffect += saturate( Light[i].Diffuse * dot( normal, lightDir ) );// * _Material.MaterialDiffuse; //specularEffect += Light[i].Specular * dot( normal, halfangletolight ) * _Material.MaterialSpecularPower; } specularEffect *= _Material.MaterialSpecular; //ambientEffect.w = 1.0; ambientEffect = normalize( ambientEffect ); /* Ambient effect: (L1.ambient + L2.ambient) * object ambient color Diffuse effect: (L1.diffuse * Dot(VertexNormal, Light1.Direction) + L2.diffuse * Dot(VertexNormal, Light2.Direction)) * object diffuse color Specular effect: (L1.specular * Dot(VertexNormal, HalfAngleToLight1) * Object specular reflection power + L2.specular * Dot(VertexNormal, HalfAngleToLight2) * Object specular reflection power ) * object specular color Resulting color = Ambient effect + diffuse effect + specular effect*/ float4 totalFactor = ambientEffect + diffuseEffect + specularEffect; totalFactor.w = 1.0; output.color = input.color * totalFactor; return output; }   Edit: This message editor is driving me nuts (Arrrr!) - I don't write code in Word.
  • Popular Now