Recommendation

Started by
0 comments, last by MatthewJackson 12 years, 9 months ago
I'm starting to learn C# and I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good tutorials online through past experience or just general knowledge of knowing which tutorials are better :D

Thanks for any help!
Advertisement
I cannot offer anything other than some insight from my experience. I would not say that what worked for me is the 'best,' but I would say that it worked well for me. The real question is how do you learn? If you learn by looking at complete code samples and detailed step-by-step instructions then I cannot offer you any advice on a free tutorial. However, if you know some other imperative programming language, as opposed to a functional language, and learn by establishing a logic and researching how to implement that logic, then I would point you at the MSDN online reference. It's actually packed full of information and fairly easy to navigate once you learn some of the terms.

Now, because I've started arguments before, I would like to specify that C, C++, C#, Java and almost every language that is commonly known are not functional languages. This does not mean that they do not function, it means that they operate by utilizing what is know as a 'side effect' to alter the program's state through variable manipulation. A functional language, like Haskel and a few others, works entirely off formula results very similarly to a C++ static function that does not change global variables. So, that's my disclaimer about the above 'functional' term.

Where am I going with this? If you don't have experience with C# or Java then you may not realize, as I did not for a long time, that classic procedural logic does not work on a macro scale since all 'methods' (code block that does something) must exist inside an object and cannot naturally communicate with any data outside that object instance. I had a real hard time with this concept and still find it easier to code in C++ because of this. If you are coming from that sort of background, you will certainly want to understand 'event handlers' from an early stage. I really wish someone had pointed me at them earlier.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement