Negative Reputation

Started by
100 comments, last by way2lazy2care 12 years, 8 months ago
Maybe my sarcasm detector is broken, but it should never be about punishment. Post ratings should just be about marking incorrect information

If you post incorrect information and you get downrated, then that is a punishment. Now if a post is marked as "INCORRECT", that would be another thing. (Hopefully a post marked as such would have an explanation as to why it's incorrect.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
There were at least two incidents of outright evilness being done in the old up/down vote system, that I can think of offhand. There may well be more. Obviously the situations were sensitive so I can't go into details, but it's not like we woke up in a cold sweat one night thinking "oh noes what if someone's rep turns red and they didn't deserve it!?"

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

I'm curious to know if you've actually confirmed any cases of people "abusing the system". Unless this is actually a problem, and was happening in more than one or two cases with the old system, this is somewhat reminiscent of premature optimisation. (And if it was in the Lounge, then you could just not allow rating at all in that forum).

I also don't really see how you can judge some users less likely to "abuse the system" than others. Letting everyone vote both up and down means that you end up with a post rating representative of the community as a whole.

Yes, many many confirmed cases. Put it this way, if there wasn't we wouldn't have bothered to address this as an issue. On judging users less likely to abuse the system, unfortunately what seems ideal doesn't always necessarily work out that way. If we didn't have to do this we wouldn't.

Right now we don't formally publish any guidelines as to how you become a moderator either, so this automatic selection of people with downvote capabilities represents something akin to selecting moderators. I remember how Slashdot used to call it Karma, and when you had enough Karma you would sometimes be selected as a meta-moderator.
I suggest ratings in the Lounge be the below:

• Great?
  • Good?
  • OK?
  • Meh?
  • Hmm?
  • What?
  • Eww?
  • WTF?
  • Should I sit in crap instead? -- maybe we should change this one

In short, Lounge ratings should have a different set of ratings than the other Forums.

Lounge ratings:

• Roflcopter
  • Needs moar HTML+Variables
  • HOCKEY MMO OMFG
  • Oh noes teh goat
  • BANHAMMAR
  • ok

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Are those secondary bad ratings for primary bad ratings? :)

We're going to be killing ratings entirely in The Lounge and Help Wanted. Possibly Your Announcements too. I'd like to leave them here in CSI, but decouple them from any effect on reputation so people can still easily give their opinions on ideas and suggestions.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

We're going to be killing ratings entirely in The Lounge and Help Wanted. Possibly Your Announcements too. I'd like to leave them here in CSI, but decouple them from any effect on reputation so people can still easily give their opinions on ideas and suggestions.

Well can't you do that with the Lounge?!

I suppose. Might just keep the Like and not allow downvoting. Because really that's just only going to further antagonize the religious and political threads it'll be used in most anyways.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

If it were up to me (which obviously it isn't), I would keep up and downvoting in the Lounge, but decouple them from Reputation. Also, (if possible) I would make the ratings for the Lounge different from anything else on the board. For example, "Like This" and "Haaaated It". For Help Wanted, I would keep only upvoting and let it tie to reputation. Things like good advice, pointing to other helpful resources, or connecting two people should be rewarded. Same for CSI and Your Announcements. All the other forums get up and downvoting (thumb up and thumb down, respectively) and are tied to reputation.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement