Negative Reputation

Started by
100 comments, last by way2lazy2care 12 years, 8 months ago
I'm completely against downvoting in the Lounge, personally. But there are three other votes to consider amongst senior staff...

HW Mod jbadams has said he doesn't want any ratings in the forum, but maybe he'd be okay with only Likes. We'll have to wait until after the honeymoon to hear from him again tho... :)

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Advertisement

I curious if the ratings could be setup so that beginners have to "earn" the right to upvote or downvote a post. This could be participation in the site, not having less than 0 for so many months, or getting their posts upvoted.

The whole idea of having to spend reputation to down vote others is a form of earning. That idea has been mentioned a few times.

I still think voting on posts should lock after a fixed time period and you can only up/down vote a user so many times per length of time.

I'm completely against downvoting in the Lounge, personally.

Honestly, speaking for myself, I don't see the big deal of downvoting in the Lounge if voting either way is completely decoupled from Reputation. I mean... it's the Lounge. It's opinion-based, non-technical. So why limit an user choice to express their opinion? People have downvoted and responded to posts before. There's no danger in that not happening. And... it's decoupled from Reputation. Completely harmless, IMO.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

[quote name='Alpha_ProgDes' timestamp='1311206677' post='4838196']
I curious if the ratings could be setup so that beginners have to "earn" the right to upvote or downvote a post. This could be participation in the site, not having less than 0 for so many months, or getting their posts upvoted.

The whole idea of having to spend reputation to down vote others is a form of earning. That idea has been mentioned a few times.[/quote]
Honestly, I see it as a way for some not to spam downvotes at a whim.

I still think voting on posts should lock after a fixed time period and you can only up/down vote a user so many times per length of time.
[/quote]
That's a good idea. I could go for that.

That's a good idea. I could go for that.
[/quote]
I like the idea of up/down voting a specific user only once an day, or whatever, as long as you take into account these issues:
- If I upvote, I should still be able to undo it by downvoting, and vice-versa.
- I need to be able to upvote/downvote multiple different users in the same thread, without being timed out.

Those two issues make implementing your suggestion slightly more complicated. Keeping track of the time of my vote, the user I voted on, and what type of vote I did (up or down?). The more they have to tweak, the more they get away from the 'off-the-shelf' version of the forum software.

But I totally agree, that would be the desirable solution. And hey, GDNet isn't a really off-the-shelf community; they knew they'd have to at least do some customization the shape the site around us. biggrin.gif

[quote name='Gaiiden' timestamp='1311547747' post='4839765']
I'm completely against downvoting in the Lounge, personally.

Honestly, speaking for myself, I don't see the big deal of downvoting in the Lounge if voting either way is completely decoupled from Reputation. I mean... it's the Lounge. It's opinion-based, non-technical. So why limit an user choice to express their opinion? People have downvoted and responded to posts before. There's no danger in that not happening. And... it's decoupled from Reputation. Completely harmless, IMO.
[/quote]
I think the Lounge is a perfect place to down vote a post with words rather than a little button. As long as it doesn't end up in vicious name calling, in which case a mod can still lock the thread, I prefer to see a post when someone has a different opinion. This in contrast with technical threads where you prefer a high information density and "I don't like your post" comments would only derail the original topic, unless the post contains detailed information why someone post might be 'incorrect'. The same as replying with a random image of a kitten to show one's appreciation for a post in the Lounge isn't so much a problem (in fact I highly encourage it), but it probably wouldn't be appropriate response in the OpenGL forum.
If the text/image in the lounge were less serious, I don't think people would get so emotional about being down rated there. A big red negative number could be replaced with something humourous, a popular meme might fit this bill nicely.
Reskin the 'thumbs-down' and 'thumbs-up' buttons to be 'face-palm' and 'cookie' in the lounge.
I still don't get the actual *point* of up/down votes on posts. And as such, I would be just as happy to see them done away with altogether...

IIRC the original plan was to have post tagging (which may yet happen in the next version), and post tagging sounds nice because it allows you to add relevant information, without polluting the thread with replies. As far as I can tell, up/down voting doesn't add any real information - it just gives us a popularity metre. The same is true of the old per-user up/down voting: all it ever really said was that some segment of the community thinks you are/not an asshat.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

I still don't get the actual *point* of up/down votes on posts. And as such, I would be just as happy to see them done away with altogether...

IIRC the original plan was to have post tagging (which may yet happen in the next version), and post tagging sounds nice because it allows you to add relevant information, without polluting the thread with replies. As far as I can tell, up/down voting doesn't add any real information - it just gives us a popularity metre. The same is true of the old per-user up/down voting: all it ever really said was that some segment of the community thinks you are/not an asshat.

In the Lounge, being an asshat matters and your thumb score would show that. In the other forums, your thumb score would give others an indication of your ability and/or usefulness to the community. I believe that's the point, as far as i know.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement