Negative Reputation

Started by
100 comments, last by way2lazy2care 12 years, 8 months ago
I just noticed how when folks have a negative reputation, it shows them as 0 in the actual threads.

I just wanted to say - and I'm assuming it's intentional - that is a really clever design choice. This is so the reputation tag in the corner doesn't negatively color people's interpretations of posts, right?
Advertisement

I just noticed how when folks have a negative reputation, it shows them as 0 in the actual threads.

I just wanted to say - and I'm assuming it's intentional - that is a really clever design choice. This is so the reputation tag in the corner doesn't negatively color people's interpretations of posts, right?

Correct
I thought I'd hijack this post seeing it's along the same lines ---

Negative post ratings have disappeared as of today, what's the idea behind this change? No community moderation of bad content?
Yes, what is going on.

Also, if I "like" something, I cannot unlike it?
I would prefer to be able to negatively vote, and un-like something already liked.
I'd also like to know what's up. I'm so sad that I haven't been able to down vote any posts lately, my wrath is building up to unsafe levels! :lol:

Hero of Allacrost - A free, open-source 2D RPG in development.
Latest release June, 2015 - GameDev annoucement

A while back we started with a positive uprating only system with the conversion to IPS. Then due to some complaints about lack of downrating we added back downrating of a particular post. We've opted to backtrack a bit on that largely to address the largest number of issues and secondarily to fall in line with the way the next iteration of the forum software will handle this issue.

At this point in time negative downrating is no longer permitted for a particular post. There were a couple reasons for this:

1. Downrating hurts a persons reputation, so a person disagreeing with a particular point of view can have a damaging effect on the rating of a member
2. The system does not limit consecutive downrates from member A to member B, meaning one member can go and downrate every post a member has made and kill their rep
3. We *want* this to be a positive system that we can ultimately tie other participation to - for example, if we publish an article a user has created then +50 rep, or if we feature their blog + 25 rep . These amounts are just made up and don't reflect any hard decisions, but we want people to be motivated to increase their reputation. We also want reputation to be more readily impacted by what you contribute on a positive basis to the community.
4. 100% of the headaches of the reputation system have stemmed from downrating and abuse, which because of the way the software works we can't easily control
5. A negative downrate on a post tells a user absolutely nothing about the post without knowing that the downrate came from an expert on the topic - A complete noob and an expert are equals (which shouldn't be the case)

The solution thus far:
1. IPS 3.2 is moving to a system that integrates all "Like" capabilities into one system - We grabbed the 3.2 version of the "Like This" image they are incorporating into posts and put it on our forums - thumbs up is gone
2. If a user is technically wrong, then downrating never said anything about why the answer was wrong in the first place - Wrong answers will have to be reconciled the old-fashioned way.. by actual discussion. This discussion should prove to make a particular topic a better resource anyway, and that's kind of the point of the site.

So without rewriting the way the whole thing works, our path of least resistance right now is to disable downrating. This is a case of the cons of having negative ratings outweigh the pros and we dont have an interim solution.
So now all the computer nerds have their own conflict free zone on the internet. How nice. Since I can't get down rated I have little incentive not to call people computer nerds. Quite honestly, this kind pussification is whats wrong with the youth of today.
Two issues here.

1. Clicking "Like This" means that post is bumped up,... However I just accidentally clicked it, and have no apparent way of undoing this. Frankly, such a system is made of nothing but utter fail.

2. What is wrong with flagging a post as being wrong, without actually lowering the person's reputation? As it is now it can be very easy for someone to suggest a horrible horrible idea which sounds fine in theory, but fails in actual practice. Discussions are nice and all, but you may have noticed that people often don't actually read such things. "Oh look, a solution! *some time later* Why isn't this working! *rage*"
Flagging it wrong and putting a big red flag up for people if more see it as wrong then gives a visual clue of "Maybe this isn't actually correct, so read the rest of the page."
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Given the arguments against, I wish the negative ratings for posts had been kept, but the rating score for individuals been nuked. Yes, saying a post is wrong is useful, but a negative five rating on a post is a more clear indication that a person is spouting bad advice than five posts from people saying that he's wrong.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement