Starting a custom physics engine.

Started by
5 comments, last by wildbunny 12 years, 9 months ago
Hi there, I've been taking my time Game Programming, jumping here and there. A topic I haven't dealt with is physics.

What's a good starting point for physics?
Any good reference material? Examples with OpenGL would be awesome, but I'm already asking a lot.

I know I could google this all, but you guys are always so insightful.
Advertisement
Hopefully you realize that writing a physics simulation has nothing to do with OpenGL, which is used to draw triangles on the screen.

Christer Ericson's book is a great resource for detecting if objects collide
http://books.google.com/books/about/Game_physics.html?id=a9SzFHPJ0mwC

Hi there, I've been taking my time Game Programming, jumping here and there. A topic I haven't dealt with is physics.

What's a good starting point for physics?
Any good reference material? Examples with OpenGL would be awesome, but I'm already asking a lot.

I know I could google this all, but you guys are always so insightful.

*Shudder*, writting a physics engine was one of the most frustrating coding experiences ever :(.

Take a look at Bullet physics , a free, open source physics engine used in blender, games and hollywood movies. Open source means that the whole source code is available . At least you could use it as reference when trying to write your own engine.
There are serveral demos available and chances are high, that some or all of the demos use OpenGL for visualisation.
Thanks for all your feedback! It's been really useful!
The way I always recommend is to take Box2D *Lite* and port it to 3D. The author Erin Catto has given a lot of presentations which will help you on your way as well. Start with a simple pendulum and continue with a sphere on a plane. From there move on to boxes.
If you want to write your own, I've written a getting started article which might help!

http://www.wildbunny.co.uk/blog/2011/04/06/physics-engines-for-dummies/

Cheers, Paul.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement