Loading DOOM 3 Levels

Started by
9 comments, last by _WeirdCat_ 12 years, 9 months ago
I'm writing some code that compiles OBJ files into octrees or BSP trees that my engine can use in frustum culling. I'd like to develop my octree using a DOOM 3 map as a test map. Is there any way I can convert a DOOM 3 map into an OBJ model file?

If not, does anyone know of any other games I could do this with?
Advertisement

I'm writing some code that compiles OBJ files into octrees or BSP trees that my engine can use in frustum culling. I'd like to develop my octree using a DOOM 3 map as a test map. Is there any way I can convert a DOOM 3 map into an OBJ model file?

If not, does anyone know of any other games I could do this with?

You can export Half Life 2 maps to obj files pretty easy with crafty. However, you will probably have to manually remove the hit boxes from the levels as they are exported along side the mesh data for whatever reason...
Crafty pulled up the maps! Unfortunately, the textures aren't coming up, and so, they aren't included with the OBJ file's material library. Any ideas on how to fix that?

Crafty pulled up the maps! Unfortunately, the textures aren't coming up, and so, they aren't included with the OBJ file's material library. Any ideas on how to fix that?

It appears to be a small bug in the object viewer but it's easily remedied. Just select the Half life 2 profile in Setup->Profiles menu and then close the object viewer. Start the object viewer back up and it will work.
I selected Half-Life 2, but it's still not working. I'll reinstall it

I selected Half-Life 2, but it's still not working. I'll reinstall it

You need to exit the object viewer after selecting half life 2 then when you start it back up and reload the map it will work.
I was able to solve the problem. I found a wiki article online that explains how to setup Crafty's file manager by mounting the root folder.

I was able to solve the problem. I found a wiki article online that explains how to setup Crafty's file manager by mounting the root folder.

Bsp files have the textures packed into them. I'm pretty sure mounting the root folder was not what resolved the issue since I can load the bsp files in a completely separate location without any problems.
I thought the textures in the BSP were just references to textures outside of the file. It would make sense though since it'd be faster loading all from one file stream though. Especially if the textures weren't shared between maps.

I thought the textures in the BSP were just references to textures outside of the file. It would make sense though since it'd be faster loading all from one file stream though. Especially if the textures weren't shared between maps.

Mount a bsp file and you will see it's structure. The textures are included in each bsp file. Your problem was likely resolved when you selected the half life 2 profile but you didn't restart the object browser which is the reason after you came back and mounted the root folder it worked.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement