State of the Art in rendering massively detailed geometry?

Started by
5 comments, last by stevesan 12 years, 9 months ago
I know plenty of work on rendering terrain, but what about general 3D geometry? Do we have the technology to render stuff like this:

34a535420ea2499fb0dfe14e10b1647c.jpg

..and also allow the player to fly to and enter one of those buildings? What's the closest we can get to achieving that?
Advertisement
I recall seeing a video where someone was able to do what you describe by basically culling out the interior of the building when the player is too far away to notice, and as they get closer it will make the windows transparent and allow the user to see within the building. I doubt I will be able to find it tho
nvidia recently released a demo about city rendering with their tessellation tech.

AMD also released a city techdemo, looks less impressive, but I guess it's nice techwise:

that's kinda what you can expect from current state of the art. (there is also a nice mod for GTA4 pushing it's graphics, google it ;) )

We do but not using current rasterizing technology. Realtime Raytracing algorithms regularly render 1+billion polygon scenes at interactive rates, they are scaleable too, add more CPU/Ram and u might handle upwards to 1 Trillion polygons.. They do probes into the 3D scene and the problem ceases to be how many polygons you can push through the rasterizer but how fast you can do your ray / scene intersection tests..

-ddn
Check out the megameshes presentation.

I recall seeing a video where someone was able to do what you describe by basically culling out the interior of the building when the player is too far away to notice, and as they get closer it will make the windows transparent and allow the user to see within the building. I doubt I will be able to find it tho

"Interior mapping"?

[quote name='CirdanValen' timestamp='1310670957' post='4835392']

"Interior mapping"?
[/quote]

It's a geometry shader trick that gets some cool looking results. Google it :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement