newbie need help

Started by
11 comments, last by MasterMas 12 years, 9 months ago
[size="4"]hello all..
[size="4"]

[size="4"]my name is arie
[size="4"]

[size="4"]I really wanted to make a 3D game like perfect world online game. i want to lear what programs are used to make online game like perfect world. can you tell me what program that must be used and i better start learning from what? sorry if my english very bad XD
[size="4"]

[size="4"]

[size="4"]thanks before you answering me :D

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=2][/font]
Advertisement
Before the wolves get to you, I will say that you should probably just drop your idea right now.

There's a post somewhere I want to quote, but it explains precisely why you (as an individual) shouldn't be trying to make an MMO.

To paraphrase, MMOs are the result of hundreds of programmers working full time for at least a year (likely more) being fully funded by one or more large companies already making lots of money. Furthermore, in order to run said MMOs after developing them, it takes thousands of dollars monthly to run servers and pay for internet. Cut corners on that last point and your game is laggy and not fun.

If you want to get into game design, you're best off starting with a tool like GameMaker and trying to make something really awesome in that. If you get really good with game design, then maybe you could convince or hire a team of programmers and try to design real games (but I still wouldn't recommend attempting an MMO, not that you would be able to get any sane programmers for an MMO anyways).

If you want to get into programming, I would recommend something like Java or C#. Google tutorials on either for general programming, and once you have the basics, it shouldn't be difficult to find tutorials with a focus on GUI and game programming in either language.

I'm about to light a fire I don't want to tend to, but I would highly recommend /against/ getting into C++ for game design, especially if you do not have prior programming experience. As a test, if any of the following words don't already mean something to you, avoid C++ for the moment: memory allocation, object reference, pointer, destructor, memory leak.

I really don't mean to kill your dreams, but I must stress that MMOs aren't the sorts of games typically dreamt up and realized by an individual unless that individual happens to also be rich beyond anyone's wildest dreams. Maybe if you get the necessary skills you can one day make this game, but it requires a great deal of technical aptitude in multiple fields and a very intense passion for getting the game made. Perhaps try making some games that play similar to what you want but are single player, and work in some simple 2player or small party play (up to 8 or so players) as a proof of concept and see where that takes you.

At any rate, google is your friend.
Arie, you should read this forum's FAQs. See link above.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I hate to make a totally random unrelated post... but why does it seem like MMORPGs are the number one thing that new people want to make? I always wondered this, I for one have no interest in making one, even when I had no idea what game programming was. It seems like 99% of these topics are about this genre... and its unfortunate that they are clearly the WORST beginner project imaginable. I have seen countless people shut down in this regard, for a good reason obviously.
Never, ever stop learning.
- Me

I hate to make a totally random unrelated post... but why does it seem like MMORPGs are the number one thing that new people want to make? I always wondered this, I for one have no interest in making one, even when I had no idea what game programming was. It seems like 99% of these topics are about this genre... and its unfortunate that they are clearly the WORST beginner project imaginable. I have seen countless people shut down in this regard, for a good reason obviously.

I think mainly its because people are playing them and then they think of all things they would do differently.
Most people are under the impression that anything can be accomplished, while this is true I don't think people understand the complexity/time requirement of what they are asking.
3-4 Years of learning programming
3-4 Honing your skills / working on smaller projects
1-2 For design / implementing your new skills to finish your MMO project

While these are exaggerated its not that far off I would think.

[quote name='joeparrilla' timestamp='1310750293' post='4835726']

I think mainly its because people are playing them and then they think of all things they would do differently.
Most people are under the impression that anything can be accomplished, while this is true I don't think people understand the complexity/time requirement of what they are asking.
3-4 Years of learning programming
3-4 Honing your skills / working on smaller projects
1-2 For design / implementing your new skills to finish your MMO project

While these are exaggerated its not that far off I would think.
[/quote]

No not that far off at all. I mean firstly, you are taking 3d game development, which in itself is many levels more difficult that 2d. That alone introduces a considerable number of more difficulties and knowledge needed. Then, as if that isnt enough, you are putting the game online, in a totally seamless, connected world. This requires a whole new set of internet programming skills, not to mention the hardware to be able to support people playing simultaneously at all times. An MMO basically incorporates every difficult aspect of programming into one beast, and of course... this is the game that every person with no experience has a plan to make :)

This also explains why there are so many god awful 3d mmo's out there. Im really not too into the genre, but Ive played a few free ones just to check them out... and most of them are honestly terribly put together, making WoW look like the work of God.
- Me

I believe back in the olden days everyone posted about how they wanted to make an FPS. They used to be a lot tougher to make back then and the reactions were pretty much the same as they are about MMOs. I think it has a lot to do with what's new and hot in the game industry. People see the success of these games and they hope to mirror that success. Also, what better way to play God is there than to build a virtual world and watch it come to life with all the real people playing in it?
[color=#888888][font=arial, sans-serif][size=2][color=#000000][size=2]actually, I do not do it alone, and I just want to know what's good programming language used to create MMO games so I can learn from now :D. thank you all for answering my question.

[/font]

[color="#888888"][font="arial, sans-serif"][color="#000000"]actually, I do not do it alone, and I just want to know what's good programming language used to create MMO games so I can learn from now :D. thank you all for answering my question.

[/font]

There is no such thing as a programming language to make MMO games. Anyway, the language you learn to program in will have absolutely no bearing on this, because from the time you begin learning, to the time you will actually make this game (which most likely will not happen) will be many years, In that time frame, the initial language you learned wont make a difference. By that time you will hopefully have enough programming knowledge so that languages are more or less unimportant. Just go to the beginners faq on here and read about programming. Dont think about an MMO at all... it is totally irrelevant for you right now.

And most importantly, by the time you are at the level where you can even understand how to make this sort of game, I can almost guarantee that your desire to make it will be gone :)
- Me

[quote name='newbieGD' timestamp='1310761757' post='4835791']
[color="#888888"][font="arial, sans-serif"][color="#000000"]actually, I do not do it alone, and I just want to know what's good programming language used to create MMO games so I can learn from now :D. thank you all for answering my question.

[/font]

There is no such thing as a programming language to make MMO games. Anyway, the language you learn to program in will have absolutely no bearing on this, because from the time you begin learning, to the time you will actually make this game (which most likely will not happen) will be many years, In that time frame, the initial language you learned wont make a difference. By that time you will hopefully have enough programming knowledge so that languages are more or less unimportant. Just go to the beginners faq on here and read about programming. Dont think about an MMO at all... it is totally irrelevant for you right now.

And most importantly, by the time you are at the level where you can even understand how to make this sort of game, I can almost guarantee that your desire to make it will be gone :)
[/quote]

oh thanks for your suggestion . my spirit and desire now become more powerful because now i know make this game very difficult :D .

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement